2023 Offseason

Discouraging to see Cornish visit has been cancelled. I'm sure it's got something to do with Curran.

Is there any news that hasnt been shared that anyone's aware of? 5 scheduled visits with only 2 of them being guards, from Coppin State and Charleston Southern, doesn't quite get my motor humming at this stage in the game.

Discouraging to see Cornish visit has been cancelled. I'm sure it's got something to do with Curran.

Is there any news that hasnt been shared that anyone's aware of? 5 scheduled visits with only 2 of them being guards, from Coppin State and Charleston Southern, doesn't quite get my motor humming at this stage in the game.
If we get those two kids from CSU, I'd be happy. Both seem like efficient scorers and good rebounders. Both would be solid replacements for Banks and Flowers.

No backup PG or C is alarming. Luc should be better next year, but you need to have at least one other true pg on the roster.

To clarify, I’m certainly not dismissing the guys we have visiting. We’ve had plenty of examples of up-transfers with great success. But cautious optimism, keyword cautious, is warranted based on examples that have gone the other way. A transfer like Cornish is a hedge to those types of guys from the other end of the spectrum, that’s why I liked the idea of him. I would guess whenever we land a new AC, the door to recruits that he (or she!!!) is working on would be opened, but we gotta make that hire first.

Cornish was a Neal recruit. He hasn't really played in 2 years, so Schmidt wanted a tryout of sorts first, but Ike's camp didn't agree.

I know a Maryland fan and asked him about Cornish. He said nobody knows because he never played and the reason he didnt play was because he couldnt defend at all. Doesnt sound like a guy we want anyway.

I know a Maryland fan and asked him about Cornish. He said nobody knows because he never played and the reason he didnt play was because he couldnt defend at all. Doesnt sound like a guy we want anyway.
Yeah. The mother apparently wanted a scholarship guaranteed before he visited. Schmidt said he was welcome to take an official visit to SBU, but that they’d assess Cornish against our guys and go from there. It feels like we will be going in another direction.

Yeah. The mother apparently wanted a scholarship guaranteed before he visited. Schmidt said he was welcome to take an official visit to SBU, but that they’d assess Cornish against our guys and go from there. It feels like we will be going in another direction.

I'd want that assurance too if I was the mother. Schmidt might have to change his approach to match the changing landscape

I agree but giving scholarships to guys who you have no idea can play or fit in, is not one of them

that doesn't any make sense to me.

Cornish is not coming from a small village in Siberia with grainy videos of him shooting at a hoop attached to his yurt. He played at a powerhouse high school, AAU with Team Durant, and 2 years at the University of Maryland.

A simple youtube search of his name brings up several videos, and that's me doing the most basic research. The staff ought to have connections with all of those places to hear even more about how he can play & fit, and an hour of pickup ball at the RC isn't going to answer those questions if they don't know anyway.

that doesn't any make sense to me.

Cornish is not coming from a small village in Siberia with grainy videos of him shooting at a hoop attached to his yurt. He played at a powerhouse high school, AAU with Team Durant, and 2 years at the University of Maryland.

A simple youtube search of his name brings up several videos, and that's me doing the most basic research. The staff ought to have connections with all of those places to hear even more about how he can play & fit, and an hour of pickup ball at the RC isn't going to answer those questions if they don't know anyway.
But, there is next to no tape of him playing at the level of competition they're recruiting him for. He's spent one year injured and the next, he played double digit minutes twice, and nearly exclusively in garbage time. AAU and youtube higlights dont=CBB performance. We have endless examples of that.

Schmidt needs to change a lot of things, but making sure that someone whos spent 2 years hurt and has barely played collegiately in that time, is still healthy and can ball, isn't one of them. If we start asking guys who have more experience than that to workout, that's a different story.

With Cornish I can't say either side here is to blame.
If you're the kid and have offers in the pocket why waste the trip?
If you're Schmidt why offer anything if you're not sure hes an upgrade over players you have returning?

Will we be fielding a team next year?

Anquan Hill has gone portaling...Not sure what his end game is here. He would have gotten some minutes this coming year.

To be honest I really hated how Hill and Mellouk were used last year.
Mellouk seemed like an obvious fit in the 3/4 rotation and and Hill seemed like a better backup at the 5 while he learned the 4.

Anyway you look at it it's another player that's going to gave to come in late learn the system and another lost out of conference schedule where half the team learns to play together.

Disappointing. He had some work to do, but thought he had every bit of the potential LDG had if he gave it 2 more years. Maybe someone is close to signing that would have been in direct competition for minutes? We have to sign someone, eventually. Don't we?

Even if that is the reason, it still sucks. Keeping guys who have work to do to get more playing time is becoming challenging for us to the point of concern, and that doesnt have shit to do with NIL. And in Hill's case it cant even be blamed on the instant transfer. Every team loses guys who want more time at a lower level, but it sure feels like we're one of the leaders in that category.

Are we going to look back on Schmidt's tenure under two different lenses? pre and post NIL/Transfer rules?

It's the offseason so there's not much to talk about, and I don't like being an alarmist, but hopefully Schmidt and Co. do some heavy lifting this offseason.

I think we are targeting just one guy in the portal that averaged north of 10 PPG at the D1 level. We now have six returning players for next year's team with one redshirt and one freshman coming in next season. We have pretty significant holes across the board and we really don't even have that good of a roster at the current moment to expect a whole lot.

We have one impact transfer set to visit with a bunch of role player/backups making out the rest of the visits. Nendah Tarke would be a pretty nice get, but the rest of the players profile like end of the bench players.

Back