2023 Offseason

I agree with it too, but my gripe is they've been nowhere close. GW too. Between GW and Joes, up untl 2016, each of them was a program who at least every other year was in the post season mix between NCAAT and NIT. Neither have really sniffed that since 2016, and its no coincidence that 2016 was the last time we sniffed having 4-5 teams legitimately in the NCAA discussion.

While we're on the topic, nobody gets more credit for being 'top tier' without actually having done anything top tier worthy for the last decade than SLU. They lucked into getting one of CBB's better coaches for the twilight of his career. Outside of that, they've done enough paper tigeing to make Russel Wilson blush. I know we all know it, but it never hurts to remind.

Lange is not a good coach. That offensive system is whack and he doesnt teach defense.

St. Joe's used to be a proud program. Sad what they've become (kinda)

I'm not saying Joes should be a top team but they should be competitive. Lange has had plenty of talent to be competitive and outside of beating up on the bottom half of the conference in a down year he hasn't converted the talent into winning basketball.

I agree the A10 will likely be down again next year (which is why I'm hopeful for our guys) and Joes will have on paper a top 4 roster. I would be more surprised if Lange converts that into a double bye team than if they are playing in the pillow fight again.

Turning around a program and building a program alot easier today than it was when Schmidt was taking 8 years to be a consistent winner (Schmidt at least had one very successful year in that 8 that showed he knew what he was doing). And again Lange's problem hasn't been on the recruiting side of the house. He has been able to get and retain very good ball players. But his problem has been maximizing that talent.

Lange is not a good coach. That offensive system is whack and he doesnt teach defense.

St. Joe's used to be a proud program. Sad what they've become (kinda)
He is a classic recruit like crazy and just roll the balls out coach if I've ever seen one.

He is a classic recruit like crazy and just roll the balls out coach if I've ever seen one.

Yes, St. Joe's looks like an AAU squad when they play. This is the Atlantic 10, not the Atlantic 10 of old sure, but you can't expect to win when you play like that. I am pretty surprised they havent fired him yet

Yes, St. Joe's looks like an AAU squad when they play. This is the Atlantic 10, not the Atlantic 10 of old sure, but you can't expect to win when you play like that. I am pretty surprised they havent fired him yet
I think it’s a pride thing. Their new-ish AD, who came from Notre Dame, made the call to fire Martelli and hand-picked Lange. She’s going to give him a lot of rope.

I think it’s a pride thing. Their new-ish AD, who came from Notre Dame, made the call to fire Martelli and hand-picked Lange. She’s going to give him a lot of rope.
Great point. Its interesting to ponder where they'd be right now if they didnt let Martelli go. He was on the skids toward the end, but his last 3 seasons he was rebuilding from a great 2016 team, and then decimated by injuries in back to back years. 4 out of his last 5 years being 500 or worse didnt help, and the fans were calling for his head- but one has to wonder where they'd be now, with him. Almost certainly, better off than they have been.

If he keeps his job and they get healthy, 2020 features Ryan Daly, Taylor Funk, Lavarr Kimble, Charlie Brown and Jared Bynum. That's a pretty damn good A10 roster. Instead, 3 of those guys bolt after his firing. If I noticed it, then some 20/20 hindsight Joes fans surely have too, as as the AD.

They also had a good class coming in, featuring Jameer Nelson, Jr. and Hakim Hart.

While I'm not a big fan of Lange I do wonder if his style of basketball will be more attractive to kids today and more conducive to winning in 2023 and beyond than even before he was hired.

I remember during the Fordham game they kept mentioning how Urgo another guy from the Jay Wright coaching tree learned you have to use a simplified playbook.

With guys only sticking around the same program for a year or two. I think a simpler faster paced game is the future of college basketball. It's going to be more like the AAU game.

Losing Curran to GMU hurts. Pretty sure he was the lead recruiter on several of the current recruits.
Hopefully it's a chance to bring some new ideas and energy to the coaching staff. I doubt it but it's my hope.

Yeah bad look losing your top assistant to a new HC in conference. Not sure how you can put a positive spin on this one.

Not just any other A10 Program if he joined VCU's staff, ok, tough loss but easier to stomach. In a decade in the league - 5 finishes below 500, never finished better than 5th, never gotten past the quarters in the A10 tournament. This is not to mention the actual loss of his coaching, teaching, recruiting, relationships with the players that would be all big losses regardless of where he went.

Cant expect anyone to stay here as an assistant forever. It has been a long time. The guy wants to bet on himself and take a shot at advancing his career, we move on, the sun still came up in Catt County today

A new assistant with fresh eyes and relationships might be a good thing

Cant expect anyone to stay here as an assistant forever. It has been a long time. The guy wants to bet on himself and take a shot at advancing his career, we move on, the sun still came up in Catt County today

Agreed.

I think many think Schmidt, Curran and Moore are the only reason Bona has RISEN FROM THE ASHES and that any other coach will reduce that. I might be in that camp to some extent, but I like to remind myself that three of the last four bona head coaches have gone to a postseason tourney.

SBU might able to survive this move. Optics aren't great, but there are a lot more D1 HC gigs Curran could get in the DMV area if he proves he has a connect in the local recruiting scene.

Agreed.

I think many think Schmidt, Curran and Moore are the only reason Bona has RISEN FROM THE ASHES and that any other coach will reduce that. I might be in that camp to some extent, but I like to remind myself that three of the last four bona head coaches have gone to a postseason tourney.

SBU might able to survive this move. Optics aren't great, but there are a lot more D1 HC gigs Curran could get in the DMV area if he proves he has a connect in the local recruiting scene.

I believe the DMV was Curran's territory here, he landed Baltimore's Jaylen Adams among others

I agree though other coaches have and can do just fine here. In terms of recruiting we haven't dug into the midwest as much as I think we could so an assistant with ties in that region could reinvigorate things. Olean IMO has more of a midwest feel than people realize and players from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, states like those have talent and I think their players would really do well here

I believe the DMV was Curran's territory here, he landed Baltimore's Jaylen Adams among others

I agree though other coaches have and can do just fine here. In terms of recruiting we haven't dug into the midwest as much as I think we could so an assistant with ties in that region could reinvigorate things. Olean IMO has more of a midwest feel than people realize and players from Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, states like those have talent and I think their players would really do well here
Tasty,

Do not get me started...Aside from Rochester, I have never gotten why Cleveland, Detroit and I guess Pittsburgh were never really targeted by our staff since the early 2000s.

If you're a kid that can't play at MSU, Mich or Ohio State, then who is your competition? A bunch of cash-strapped MAC schools and Duquesne. There really aren't many schools we can't compete with in those areas, yet we are dipping our foot in the waters where many of the best P5 and mid majors reside...I don't get it.

JR Bremer has produce two or three D1 MAC players since taking over at Cleveland Heights. Cleveland Heights to Olean is less than three hours away, yet we never roster a kid from the area.

Baseball, soccer, etc. always seem to have players from NE Ohio despite SBU having minimal presence in the region.

Yeah I mean I’m not suggesting the sun won’t come up or that we won’t move on, or that I thought he’d never leave.

The timing is brutal, the optics aren’t great, It’s an inferior program for the last decade in almost every measurable way, and it’s not a HC gig. And, on the heels of our AD shopping himself to steps down in competition, it does nothing to ease the nagging wonder of what the fuck, exaclty, is going on down there.

Sometimes it’s okay for things to be bothersome, while also not being the end of the world.

Tasty,

Do not get me started...Aside from Rochester, I have never gotten why Cleveland, Detroit and I guess Pittsburgh were never really targeted by our staff since the early 2000s.
Be careful you guys are treading on a wider bona recruiting issue that doesnt just effect basketball.

To polish the turd that is Curran leaving, the recruiting landscape is completely different than it was when he was landing the guys Unfurled tweeted about. Maybe we can get a portal expert to replace him. Or maybe he will have burned half of Schmidt's playbook on the way out the door. Someone tweeted Uconn's playbook from this year and it was 125 plays which included all their baseline/sideline out of bounds plays.

Back