2023 Offseason

It's a disgrace that a school with very limited good basketball history has retired as many numbers as it has. Bona was a national power for a couple different spans of a handful of years. Full on 100% with BR here - it's Lanier, Stith, and we hope we once again see a player of that caliber and a team of the caliber on which they played. Everyone else can be in some basketball walk of fame in the RC. The excess laundry screams small-time attention seeking. And to fuck with the NIT banners condense it all. And sorry, in 1977 no the NIT was not still on par with the NCAAT, despite what some old-timers yell at clouds.

Yawn

Man I was a student during and after the scandal. I woulda killed for banners to be the only thing to worry about.

I do appreciate the passion though

Yawn

Man I was a student during and after the scandal. I woulda killed for banners to be the only thing to worry about.

I was there at that time, too, and this still pisses me off. It’s a microcosm of some bigger issues.

so basically St. Bonaventure only has 1 player from the last 40 years with a retired number. (Andrew Nicholson)

the bitchin is about interior decorating

** thanks for the list by the way, it is cool to say it tracked like that. They track everything on Wikipedia.
Incorrect. They also retired Hollis, Belcher, and Sanders very recently.

Additionally, I hope the interior decorating snark can find a permanent home up your urethra.

Incorrect. They also retired Hollis, Belcher, and Sanders very recently.

Additionally, I hope the interior decorating snark can find a permanent home up your urethra.

I typed it out like a tard, I meant guys that played in the last 40 years, not inducted. 1981 is 42 years ago, and leave my urethra alone!

Yawn

I mean, the banners are just one thing. The RC looks like an eye sore on TV and the crazy amount of banners up there for a team that has had minimal success over the past 40 years is weird.

Don't need to get into specifics, but less is more with the NIT banners and retired numbers. The seating in the lower bowl is dated and just looks bad on TV. Too high-schooly. They didn't even try to center that weird advertising banner above the endzone bleachers above the student section, and the seating on the otherside of the arena is hideous regardless of timing.

Sure, it's not a pressing issue and it's nice that these are our complaints in the offseason, but there's no reason why we can't expect improvements at our most visible facility on campus.

SIDE NOTE- Can we expect any surprises on the OOC slate that gets released today?

FAU, ND/OKSTATE/AUBURN, @UB, @NU, CC, Siena, N-KENT plus 3 or 4 more games?

Looks like a MAAC gym with NASCAR-y sponsorship visible all over. Also, I'm done with every telecast starting with a shot of the banners and the announcers "storied history" lede. Broadcasting foul shots from behind the shooter makes the end zones look like a morgue. I get it, not every game will be URI 2018, but hell that lower bowl needs a resurgence.

The lower bowl is awful, and it really wouldn't be that complicated to upgrade. Look at Davidson as a model of what to do, sans the stupid volleyball lines on the court, of course. Their gym is nearly identical in capacity, layout and area to ours.

Replace the high school bleachers on the student section side with seatbacks, like behind the benches. The endzones don't need to be overly complicated. A short bridge from the walkway at all 4 endzone doors to new seatbacks. Shorten them by a few rows and round/wall out the front, adding an access row in the back. Drape some digital advertising and/or scoreboard on the overhangs beneath the walkways and the walled out bleacher fronts. Remove the 1990's Single A outfield advertising look from the cafe side wall.

Bang. Simple tweaks, and you've got yourself something that looks like an arena. I'm sure it's disgustingly more expensive than my wildest imagination, but still relatively inexpensive compared to a massive overhaul, and would go a long way.

The lower bowl is awful, and it really wouldn't be that complicated to upgrade. Look at Davidson as a model of what to do, sans the stupid volleyball lines on the court, of course. Their gym is nearly identical in capacity, layout and area to ours.

Replace the high school bleachers on the student section side with seatbacks, like behind the benches. The endzones don't need to be overly complicated. A short bridge from the walkway at all 4 endzone doors to new seatbacks. Shorten them by a few rows and round/wall out the front, adding an access row in the back. Drape some digital advertising and/or scoreboard on the overhangs beneath the walkways and the walled out bleacher fronts. Remove the 1990's Single A outfield advertising look from the cafe side wall.

Bang. Simple tweaks, and you've got yourself something that looks like an arena. I'm sure it's disgustingly more expensive than my wildest imagination, but still relatively inexpensive compared to a massive overhaul, and would go a long way.
Look for some renderings released by SBUnfurled today. They will include these ideas and more.

Even if they just reupholstered the reds it would be a big improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if that was ever done.

A10 Schedule release

H&H - Umass, Fordham, Duq and VCU

Home - Davidson, Loyola, URI, Joes, SLU

Away - Dayton, Mason, GW, LaSalle, Richmond

That is an incredibly well done concept. More importantly, achievable. Opening the concourse on each end zone seems doable.

What I like most is the open concept to incorporate fully opening the cafe. Take away the basketball venue, the open concept for the cafe is a great idea in itself. Open concept for the cafe seating is far more appealing than current state.

The big question on everyone’s mind, does the Unfurled rendering include upgrades to the decrepit post office shit house?

As always, Unfurled has outdone himself.

I love the renderings too, I wonder how much of a reality any of it is? Maybe Unfurled can fill us in if he has talked with any at Bonas or is he just having fun here.

I know for a fact Manhertz has asked some of the athletics employees for their ideas with this stuff, so that’s what got Unfurled and I moving in earnest with these ideas. He did an outstanding job bringing our spitballing to life. The school is definitely working toward a big RC/athletics facilities project. They need to reach a certain fundraising threshold before official plans can go into motion and shovels hit the ground.

Hey, reach out. If there are elements you like, let people down there know. The only things they seem to respond to are hard cash and public opinion. Not to speak for Unfurled, but all any of us want is what’s best for SBU. We might express our opinions with some… ahem… bravado at times, but everyone is on the same page in wanting Bona athletics (and, of course, the university) to thrive.

Back