Manhertz a Finalist for UNCW AD Gig

SBUnfurled

He's one of four finalists, per CollegeAD. I've seen UNCW is prioritizing fundraising and facilities development, which is in line with our search back in summer '21. Quite surprising and disappointing given he's been here 18 months and has plenty of unfinished business. I'm assuming his family still being in NC is playing a big role.

I’ll put it bluntly: this pisses me off. Let’s get it the fuck together down there. WE ARE FIGHTING FOR OUR LIVES HERE.

He sucks. Today they are jamming more numbers and names in our rafters for a price and meanwhile our broadcasts look like absolute shit. Let’s get someone who respects history and understands that the school’s most visible recruiting tool shouldn’t make our black athletes look like shadows running around on a white canvas. Smell ya later fatso.

Manhertz doesn’t suck at all, in my opinion, but some of the shit with the RC (rafters, 12 Angry Men juror box, A10 Fathead stickers, etc.) has been frustrating as hell. He’s trying to bring the Department up to A10 snuff, but it seems some on the BoT can’t/won’t appreciate the athletics-university connection in building as small private school’s overall profile.

Manhertz doesn’t suck at all, in my opinion, but some of the shit with the RC (rafters, 12 Angry Men juror box, A10 Fathead stickers, etc.) has been frustrating as hell. He’s trying to bring the Department up to A10 snuff, but it seems some on the BoT can’t/won’t appreciate the athletics-university connection in building as small private school’s overall profile.
What's the pushback?

They just nearly doubled Schmidt's pay and announced the plans to completely re-invigorate the facilities of all our athletic programs. What else is needed from the BoT at this time? Seems like a cop out for Manhertz from an outsider's perspective.

Had Schmidt left and there was no movement in updating the RC and other athletics facilities, then maybe I'd agree.

What's the pushback?

They just nearly doubled Schmidt's pay and announced the plans to completely re-invigorate the facilities of all our athletic programs. What else is needed from the BoT at this time? Seems like a cop out for Manhertz from an outsider's perspective.

Had Schmidt left and there was no movement in updating the RC and other athletics facilities, then maybe I'd agree.
Getting non-revenue operating budgets, coaching salaries, full scholarship funding up to A10 standards.

You've got to be joking.

Why?? I can only imagine he's butting heads with the president as this trend seems somewhat new.
No joke. It isn’t finalized yet, but is expected. Regardless of behind-the-scenes issues, it isn’t a good look for SBU Athletics.

This is not good. If Joe isn't the right fit or isn't happy he has to go now.
I understand that for a lot of people who work in college athletic departments look to move on but Joe has only been here for 2 years. I cant imagine the atheletic department running smoothly with him throwing his hat in the ring for every job offer out there. How can he effectively oversee fundraising? How can he make sure people are doing their jobs?
My biggest fear is the board of directors are living in the past or don't have the balls to do what it takes to be competitive in the modern d1 landscape, or both.

This is not good. If Joe isn't the right fit or isn't happy he has to go now.
I understand that for a lot of people who work in college athletic departments look to move on but Joe has only been here for 2 years. I cant imagine the atheletic department running smoothly with him throwing his hat in the ring for every job offer out there. How can he effectively oversee fundraising? How can he make sure people are doing their jobs?
My biggest fear is the board of directors are living in the past or don't have the balls to do what it takes to be competitive in the modern d1 landscape, or both.
That's a concern of mine as well. I have no idea what the new president is like, but he does come from small D2 and DII schools. I doubt they're looking to de-emphasize or scale back, but I highly doubt Manhertz would be looking to get out if everything was going well.

He's done some good things in his time at SBU. If Manhertz were leaving for a top mid-major program or a bigger conference, then no problem, but to end up at Colgate is alarming.

Do they hate the area and culture of Bona? Is the BoT not buying in? It just seems odd all around. I can't imagine Colgate has any aspirations at improving their profile above what they are at now.

I spoke to a member of the BoT the summer before JM was hired, and while he would not tell me who they hired, they should you would be very excited about the new AD's pedigree. Everyone from Syracuse U seems to think the world of him. Same with people from his high school in Rochester.

That's a concern of mine as well. I have no idea what the new president is like, but he does come from small D2 and DII schools. I doubt they're looking to de-emphasize or scale back, but I highly doubt Manhertz would be looking to get out if everything was going well.

He's done some good things in his time at SBU. If Manhertz were leaving for a top mid-major program or a bigger conference, then no problem, but to end up at Colgate is alarming.

Do they hate the area and culture of Bona? Is the BoT not buying in? It just seems odd all around. I can't imagine Colgate has any aspirations at improving their profile above what they are at now.

I spoke to a member of the BoT the summer before JM was hired, and while he would not tell me who they hired, they should you would be very excited about the new AD's pedigree. Everyone from Syracuse U seems to think the world of him. Same with people from his high school in Rochester.

I’m not in the know but Big Joe made some big promises in the introductory process with regards to fundraising.

I think he’s realizing now he’s not gonna deliver on those promises so he’s bailing to skirt accountability.

For example he talked over and over about how he got Carmelo Anthony to donate to build a new practice facility at Syracuse a zillion years ago. We don’t have many Carmelo Anthonys around here so it didn’t seem relevant. These were the kind of things that he pushed in the interview though I’m sure

Colgate is where he played. But coupled with trying to leave for UnCW is troubling. I know he has a way of rubbing people the wrong way. The handful of “insiders” (loose term) I know don’t really like him- combination of don’t really trust him and think his bedside manner in terms of asking for money is off putting.

Whatever the case we’d all better hope the staff comes out of this all optimistic about the state of things. I know there’s other sports and they all matter, but truly, that’s the key and everyone knows it, even if they don’t want to admit it. I sure hope the new president “gets it”.

This isn’t great, but I’ll reserve panic until word comes out the basketball program is at odds w the AD and/or the administration’s commitment to moving forward.

Manhertz withdrew from Colgate.
Thank the good Lord.

I'm thinking this has MUCH more to do with Bona than it does Manhertz. Never heard a bad thing about the guy before he joined SBU, and now all the sudden we are going to act like it is Manhertz who should be blamed?

How many of our sports besides MBB finish last every year? What have we done to make the MBB job more desirable once Schmidt leaves? Maybe Manhertz isn't OK with the status quo and is trying to pump so funds and energy into our DIII programs that are D1 in name only (besides MBB & WBB).

Thank the good Lord.

I'm thinking this has MUCH more to do with Bona than it does Manhertz. Never heard a bad thing about the guy before he joined SBU, and now all the sudden we are going to act like it is Manhertz who should be blamed?

How many of our sports besides MBB finish last every year? What have we done to make the MBB job more desirable once Schmidt leaves? Maybe Manhertz isn't OK with the status quo and is trying to pump so funds and energy into our DIII programs that are D1 in name only (besides MBB & WBB).
Bingo.

Back