Conference thread

How are we feeling about Dayton? I know they are pretty much the best team in the conference. Richmond is up there, too, but I just feel the Flyers are beatable.

Are we the team that'll beat them? Not sure, but we can't have another VCU-type first half, or Canisius 25-2 stretch if we want to win. Dayton's record is very solid, but their wins aren't all that impressive. LSU, St. John's, SMU and Cincy aren't really world beaters, but they did play Houston and Northwestern tough.

They've also lost to the only decent A10 club they've faced to date. Watch us go out and knock off Dayton and then lose to UMass at home.

I have no idea. We beat Dayton last year so maybe? Although we play like ass on the road so no? Venning is a big that can harass Holmes much like the Richmond bigs did. If he and Brown can accomplish that and we dont play our shit offense, we have a shot. Anything could happen tomorrow and nothing would surprise me. The realistic part of me says we lose by 12.

With this team, it seems to come down to making jump shots because manufacturing offense when shot's aren't falling has looked damn near futile. So who knows, if a couple guys - MAW, Banks, Assa - get some early triples it could be good. Joining '03 in the "realistically" department Holmes and UD are too much and it's a double digit loss.

The only thing consistent this year has been looking silly when making predictions.

I would feel better if it was at home. Dayton is undefeated in that building. I dont like our chances but hope I am wrong

I would feel better if it was at home. Dayton is undefeated in that building. I dont like our chances but hope I am wrong
That might be true, buuuuuuuuut, here's who they beat at home:

Net 252, 108, 328, 148, 172, 90, 247, 201 and 163. And that No. 90 has ZERO Q1 or 2 wins.

I have done enough bitching about the officiating in that game. It was what it was. Our guys played pretty well and nearly knocked off a ranked team on the road. I am thinking this rough patch is behind us now. Lots of winnable games coming up the rest of the month so we could get in position to get that bye. Have to win the games of course, starting with UMass on Wednesday.

Barry Evans is becoming the player we all heard he would be and I love seeing it.

I have done enough bitching about the officiating in that game. It was what it was. Our guys played pretty well and nearly knocked off a ranked team on the road. I am thinking this rough patch is behind us now. Lots of winnable games coming up the rest of the month so we could get in position to get that bye. Have to win the games of course, starting with UMass on Wednesday.

Barry Evans is becoming the player we all heard he would be and I love seeing it.
Of the nine conference games we've played, we have played the No. 1 team away, No. 2 away, No. 4 away, No. 4 home, No. 5 home, & No. 7 away. I have to assume that is one of the harder schedules in the conference.

Now we only play three of our final nine games against teams ahead of us in the standings (UMASS 2X, LoyCHI). It seems unlikely that we get a top three seed, so we will be battling with VCU, Saint Joe's and UMass for the 4 seed.

There isn’t a team left on the schedule we should lose to. I fully expect we will still lose to Davidson.

2-2 overall between Davidson, UMass x2 and Loyola Chi is the bare minimum to be in contention for the top 4, most likely . We’d need some help even then. Anything less than that, with the experience and talent we have, would be a disappointment against the competition remaining.

Managing to hold serve at home and only drop the road UMass game, would put us in great position to finish top 4.

At this point, it’s confirmed to me that if we play to our potential and align the stars, we can win it in Brooklyn. But we need to set our own table to get there, and sustaining consistency over 9 games to do so is the biggest question mark I have, obviously.

This shows the current probabilities. We have a 37% chance at the double bye, down from 47 or 48 prior to the weekend. Our schedule is a big reason we are in contention. Loyola and VCU being our top competition. Having that tie breaker over VCU will be huge. I also feel like Richmond will come back to the pack. Everything about them screams regression.

We take the Winn, we move up the standings. It was not a great game, lots of mistakes but they made the plays at the end. It felt a lot like the Fordham game for awhile but this time they were able to get over the hump.

Pride became a dude last night and took over. He's had games like that that, and then games where he's barely looking to score. We need more of the former. One encouraging sign I took is that we finally showed some adjustment to pressure d. We took the drive and the contact that inevitably comes with over pursuit. We even made a few basket cuts by our guards and forwards! I felt a little faint with shock when I saw it.

Last edited:
There’s nothing to say that hasn’t been said already 100 times. Whatever it is, this team ain’t it.

They remind me of the 2013 & 2014 teams. Deep, veteran, ostensibly have talent, compete with or beat some good teams to get you excited about their ceiling. But at the end of the day, no true go to guys to take over and steer the ship.

With the exception of being tied for NINE seconds late in the 2nd half of our first game with Fordham, we trailed from the 1:16 mark in the first half until the game's conclusion while also being outscored 46-37 to finish the game.

Even though the game was mostly close and we lost by just six points, it never felt that close to me. Fordham this year or last wasn't truly remarkable on offense or defense, but they still have given us a lot of problems the past two years.

If we have any hope of finish top 6 or so, we need to put together a decent win streak starting tonight. After struggling to shoot 40% at home vs. FU, I have my doubts about tonight.

The A10 is such a crapshoot I dont think it even matters where they finish. Avoid the pillow fight.

Never thought i'd have to say it against a sub200 NET squad this year but I'd be surprised if we pull this one out.

It doesn't matter where they finish, because they ain't winning enough in a row to do anything. Top 4 would have helped, but that's all but dead. This team hasn't won 3 or more in a row all year, outside of the 5 game streak against the sub 300 murderers row they faced in late November/early December. No reason to think that would suddenly change in Brookyln.

I'll be getting my pillow fluffed for Tuesday, March 12.

Back