2023 Offseason

I am most intrigued on how the minutes will get distributed. There looks like a sold case for an 8 man rotation and we shouldnt see Banks lead the country in minutes again but with Schmidt you just never know. I assume the starting lineup will be:

Venning
Farell
Banks
Pride
Adams-Woods

Then you have Luc and Flowers coming off the bench as well as Brown and Evans. That doesnt include any contributions from Martinez, Rose, Thompson; which I assume will happen in some way. ThIS Is tHe deEPesT TeAM SChmidT hAs HaD.

I caught a little of practice once and I left with a half a chub (no homo) from watching Noel Brown of all people. He is chiseled. It’s nice to have a big man like that off the bench

Pride is #7, that's odd. And prime (dork).

Did college BB revise uniform number rules or was there nothing left after the AD retired everything else?

I caught a little of practice once and I left with a half a chub (no homo) from watching Noel Brown of all people. He is chiseled. It’s nice to have a big man like that off the bench
I had the same reaction. The more obvious new guys will be very impactful, but Brown’s defensive/rebounding presence off the bench is going to be a huge upgrade from Mellouk. It can’t be overstated how much our defense fell off a cliff when Venning had to come out of games. That should be vastly improved this season.

One week away and I'm fired up! Some burning quick thoughts

• Excited to see what kind of leap Yann and Chad come in with
  • Excited to see if Luc has made any leap, or if we will use him off-ball at all
  • MAW we sort of know what to expect- but it's a steadying, high basketball IQ presence and grit we sorely needed
  • From all accounts Pride is the real deal, and it will translate to this level, but I'm eager either way to see it
  • Word is Banks and particularly Flowers benefitted from the full offseason- a team in which they operate as complimentary options is what we all asked for, and I am excited to see them (hopefully) flourish in a role where they are one of the guys instead of THE guys
  • Freshmen seem talented
  • Schedule will require us to be perfect, essentially, to build any resume. No more than 1 slip up (if any), a win against OK State, and a split between Auburn and FAU. That's a tall task, but it's there. Inside the conference, let's hope a couple of teams step up in noncon. We've had a few teams come oh so close but no cigar the last few years, to build an OOC resume that raises the league. Ourselves in 2022 included. I'm not holding out hope, but maybe LUC, Dayton, VCU or SJU? Duquesne seems to put together once again a schedule that, while better than recent years, isnt going to raise the bar to the level you'd want a preseason top 5 team to.

Either way we're back in a week and I'm ready baby! Yann changed the name on his jersey, and the BW Is going to be turned inside out trying to make sense of it! Mika Adams Woods will be called Mika Woods-Adams over/under 30 times ?! LFG
We might not even get Auburn, but Notre Dame should still be a Q2 on a neutral site. Don't forget about Akron on a neutral site, too. That'll be a good game for us, as well.

Our schedule out of conference isn't really the issue. We scheduled just about as well as we could coming off an 18-loss campaign. The real issue is the A10 hasn't been deep with talent in a while.

Just a quick look at the schedule and it seems like we @VCU (Q2), @Duq (Q2), @Day (Q1), @ For (Q2), and Loyola (Q2) on the schedule. Yes, that's just a guess, but it seems like it's possible we only have 4-6 Q2/1 games on the OOC slate. What that means is we could have 12-14 Q3/4 games on the schedule, AKA resume landmines.

It really is tourney or bust for this team, but we probably need to win 27+ games to make the dance.

Without getting further into the weeds, I’m assuming Auburn beats ND, and will be waiting for the winner of us/OK St. Hence my call for OK St to be a game we’d need if we want to even begin to have a resume conversation.

At this point though, thats getting ahead of ourselves. We can table it for that weekend if it comes to it.

Conference will be weak. There’s some talent among the top 4-6 teams, but as always how they start will set a lot of the table for the rest of the league. Dayton has the talent, but my faith in AG is dubious at best.

Last edited:
We might not even get Auburn, but Notre Dame should still be a Q2 on a neutral site. Don't forget about Akron on a neutral site, too. That'll be a good game for us, as well.

Our schedule out of conference isn't really the issue. We scheduled just about as well as we could coming off an 18-loss campaign. The real issue is the A10 hasn't been deep with talent in a while.

Just a quick look at the schedule and it seems like we @VCU (Q2), @Duq (Q2), @Day (Q1), @ For (Q2), and Loyola (Q2) on the schedule. Yes, that's just a guess, but it seems like it's possible we only have 4-6 Q2/1 games on the OOC slate. What that means is we could have 12-14 Q3/4 games on the schedule, AKA resume landmines.

It really is tourney or bust for this team, but we probably need to win 27+ games to make the dance.
VCU should be Q1, if they are not top 75 by the time we play them I would be surprised. The best case scenario is we get 3 Q1 games neutral with FAU, Auburn and OK St. Then VCU and Dayton on the road.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a chub over a 6'11 chiseled monster who is ready to crack skulls.

VCU should be Q1, if they are not top 75 by the time we play them I would be surprised. The best case scenario is we get 3 Q1 games neutral with FAU, Auburn and OK St. Then VCU and Dayton on the road.

Also, there is nothing wrong with a chub over a 6'11 chiseled monster who is ready to crack skulls.
VCU's two best players are out for the foreseeable future.

Sean Bairstow is out until potentially January with an injury. He averaged 10-5-3 at Utah State last year and was likely the second option for VCU on offense this year.

Their prized transfer, Joe Bamisile, still hasn't been cleared to play this year. He averaged 16 PPG for GW a couple years ago, but he's pretty much never healthy. VCU being picked that high this year is laughable. They had virtually no depth before these two issues, and now they're down to I believe nine scholarship players to start the year.

Like always, they have some talented freshman and sophomores on the roster, but I just don't see guys that averaged 0.4 PPG a night becoming major factors next year, but what do I know.

In addition to that, much of what they have on their roster, save Shulga and Nelson, aren't all that impressive. I get the A10 stinks, but I just don't see how anyone could pick them so high.

VCU's two best players are out for the foreseeable future.

Sean Bairstow is out until potentially January with an injury. He averaged 10-5-3 at Utah State last year and was likely the second option for VCU on offense this year.

Their prized transfer, Joe Bamisile, still hasn't been cleared to play this year. He averaged 16 PPG for GW a couple years ago, but he's pretty much never healthy. VCU being picked that high this year is laughable. They had virtually no depth before these two issues, and now they're down to I believe nine scholarship players to start the year.

Like always, they have some talented freshman and sophomores on the roster, but I just don't see guys that averaged 0.4 PPG a night becoming major factors next year, but what do I know.

In addition to that, much of what they have on their roster, save Shulga and Nelson, aren't all that impressive. I get the A10 stinks, but I just don't see how anyone could pick them so high.
I forgot about Bairstow getting hurt but sleep on VCU at your own risk. Odom is a good coach

Last edited:
"Assa Essamvous is a familiar face with a different name this year. He was known to fans as Yann Farell last year, but his full legal name is Yann Farell Assa Essamvous. To better represent his family lineage from his native Gabon, he wishes to be referred to as Assa Essamvous this season. To honor his family, he will wear “Assa” on the back of his jersey this season."

So lets decide now, how are we going to handle this? I dont want a Bannedwagon butcher job all season with this.

I tend to default to NOB unless its an initials situation. So I'll be trying to stick with Assa personally but it will be a mess until after Xmas at least.

I'm confused. Is Assa his surname? It's implied by being on his jersey. It's not like he wore Yann last season. Assa is easy enough. #2. Whatever.

Tourney or bust with this club. Nice showing on defense...Alfred is pretty bad, so I will wait until we play Longwood to measure our performance.

Yea Alfred is pretty bad. Worse than teams they have brought in the past. They could usually hang for 15-20 min but last night was over from jump. I wont take too much away from that but we do seem to have a pretty good team. If guys can knock down open looks then we will be in every game. It sounds cliche but last year only 3 players were capable of hitting an open 3, now we have 5-6. Brown was as advertised, he looks like a very competent backup 5. We didnt see Yann put it on the deck at all but I trust when the coaches say he has added that to his game. Monday cant come soon enough!

I dont know where to put this so I guess it can go here. Mostly the same shit i put on X/Twitter. Except it looks at all runs we conceeded back to the beginning of conference play last year. We managed to survive and win 2 of the last 12 games we gave up a significant run. Runs like this are called "Kill Shots" by the statheads. Last year the team with the most Kill Shots in a game won 82% of the time. Guess what when we give up a Kill Shot we lost 83% of the time. Our major problem is we dont have a Kill Shot stopper Adams and Stockard are the two best examples I can think of. Since we dont have that guy we have become overly reliant on calling the right play at the right time to stop a run and all too often we have failed to execute the play or just called a bad play.

On a side note i think there is nothing more frustrating as a fan than seeing your team conceed massive runs. I can live with back and forth losses even blowouts when the team is just outmatched, but seeing the team go from in the lead/competitive to down 10 in 3-5 possessions is brutal and takes a lot of the fun out of it.

1699882332715.png

Back