2023 Offseason

Oh, the 12 Angry Men jury box will still be there. It’s one of the most harebrained concoctions I’ve seen at SBU. Between that, the barely visible A10 Fathead wall stickers, the banner situation, and the lagging fundraising, the decision makers in athletics are leaving a ton to be desired.

Oh, the 12 Angry Men jury box will still be there. It’s one of the most harebrained concoctions I’ve seen at SBU. Between that, the barely visible A10 Fathead wall stickers, the banner situation, and the lagging fundraising, the decision makers in athletics are leaving a ton to be desired.
I thought we were doing well on the fundraising front.
What is going wrong there?

I thought we were doing well on the fundraising front.
What is going wrong there?
It isn’t that it’s bad, but that’s it’s in a state of stagnation now. I’m not sure if people are tapped out or if they whiffed on a few bigger fish they thought they’d have to put things across the finish line.

It isn’t that it’s bad, but that’s it’s in a state of stagnation now. I’m not sure if people are tapped out or if they whiffed on a few bigger fish they thought they’d have to put things across the finish line.
A lot of nonprofits that rely on smaller annual/monthly contributions are falling behind ever since Trump's tax reforms that increased the standard deduction while making donations an itemization instead of an instant refund. What that all means is that the vast majority of citizens no longer receive a financial incentive to donate.

I know for me, it has really curtailed my generosity. I basically have pulled back from all charitable giving except my monthly donation to bonas and one "bigger" donation (still measly) during the bonathon. If I face any kind of financial setback, my giving to the school will be the first thing to go.

A lot of nonprofits that rely on smaller annual/monthly contributions are falling behind ever since Trump's tax reforms that increased the standard deduction while making donations an itemization instead of an instant refund. What that all means is that the vast majority of citizens no longer receive a financial incentive to donate.

I know for me, it has really curtailed my generosity. I basically have pulled back from all charitable giving except my monthly donation to bonas and one "bigger" donation (still measly) during the bonathon. If I face any kind of financial setback, my giving to the school will be the first thing to go.
Between what you said and the fact that many student graduate with a lot of debt, it takes awhile to be able to make sizeable donations. The economy has not been great the last few years either, which doesnt help anyone. I make a small donation to the Bonathon every year and I also buy season tickets (which I consider to be a donation to the athletic department since I only go to 4-5 games). There are so many pots now with the NIL collective added in, people only have so much money to go around.

I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not but my old man used to tell me that back in the day since the NIT was played in New York and the NCAA was often played in the South, St. Bonaventure would choose NIT because the South always messed with our black student athletes.

For that reason I was always proud of the NIT banners myself but ya'll are the interior design experts :)

I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not but my old man used to tell me that back in the day since the NIT was played in New York and the NCAA was often played in the South, St. Bonaventure would choose NIT because the South always messed with our black student athletes.

For that reason I was always proud of the NIT banners myself but ya'll are the interior design experts :)
Its true that the NIT used to be highly regarded and the discrimination our players faced was real. There are just too many banners and nobody looks up fondly at the 2016 1st round or 2002 1st round...etc. Having them on one big banner was always the better option. Something special for the Championship is fine and maybe even the Semi of 2022 but less is more.

Its true that the NIT used to be highly regarded and the discrimination our players faced was real. There are just too many banners and nobody looks up fondly at the 2016 1st round or 2002 1st round...etc. Having them on one big banner was always the better option. Something special for the Championship is fine and maybe even the Semi of 2022 but less is more.

Ok. well hopefully there is something in that documentary they are making about what I described. That story about how our school was on the right side of history and dealt with a lot of racist BS from the now-beloved southern schools is important to tell and always gets brushed under the rug.

I always felt like those NIT banners were a conversation starter in that regard. "why do you have so many NIT banners" "well we are proud of them, here's why...."

--
Slightly off-topic but I think about a guy like Dom Welch, transfers from St. Bonaventure to Alabama, Dom do you realize what Alabama did to young black people like yourself for decades? you want to trade what is HOME for that? ok... sorry I'll let it go....

Last edited:
--
Slightly off-topic but I think about a guy like Dom Welch, transfers from St. Bonaventure to Alabama, Dom do you realize what Alabama did to young black people like yourself for decades? you want to trade what is HOME for that? ok... sorry I'll let it go....
I mean it doesn't seem to have any impact on any sport at Alabama or any SEC school for that matter.

I could be wrong but I'd imagine athletes at Alabama are treated very well.

I mean it doesn't seem to have any impact on any sport at Alabama or any SEC school for that matter.

I could be wrong but I'd imagine athletes at Alabama are treated very well.

we let them brush their past under the rug that’s for sure

I was watching some highlights of Mika Adams-Woods at Cincy. He seems like a unique player. Lengthy and shifty for a PG, like a Patrick Beverley type.

Anyone hearing how he has looked in practice?

I was watching some highlights of Mika Adams-Woods at Cincy. He seems like a unique player. Lengthy and shifty for a PG, like a Patrick Beverley type.

Anyone hearing how he has looked in practice?
I dont know, but I did see that he didnt play in the scrimmage due to a minor injury. From what Unfurled said on Twitter, he and Luc are in a battle for the starting PG spot

I dont know, but I did see that he didnt play in the scrimmage due to a minor injury. From what Unfurled said on Twitter, he and Luc are in a battle for the starting PG spot
I would be absolutely dumbfounded if Woods doesn't start.

Who knows...Maybe Luc improved a ton over the offseason. He is still only a junior, but Woods was a 4-year starter on a pretty decent Cincy club

yeah Mika wasn't some bottom of the roster guy with "potential." he held the keys for 4 years!

I love that he's a lefty as well

One week away and I'm fired up! Some burning quick thoughts

• Excited to see what kind of leap Yann and Chad come in with
  • Excited to see if Luc has made any leap, or if we will use him off-ball at all
  • MAW we sort of know what to expect- but it's a steadying, high basketball IQ presence and grit we sorely needed
  • From all accounts Pride is the real deal, and it will translate to this level, but I'm eager either way to see it
  • Word is Banks and particularly Flowers benefitted from the full offseason- a team in which they operate as complimentary options is what we all asked for, and I am excited to see them (hopefully) flourish in a role where they are one of the guys instead of THE guys
  • Freshmen seem talented
  • Schedule will require us to be perfect, essentially, to build any resume. No more than 1 slip up (if any), a win against OK State, and a split between Auburn and FAU. That's a tall task, but it's there. Inside the conference, let's hope a couple of teams step up in noncon. We've had a few teams come oh so close but no cigar the last few years, to build an OOC resume that raises the league. Ourselves in 2022 included. I'm not holding out hope, but maybe LUC, Dayton, VCU or SJU? Duquesne seems to put together once again a schedule that, while better than recent years, isnt going to raise the bar to the level you'd want a preseason top 5 team to.

Either way we're back in a week and I'm ready baby! Yann changed the name on his jersey, and the BW Is going to be turned inside out trying to make sense of it! Mika Adams Woods will be called Mika Woods-Adams over/under 30 times ?! LFG

Back