Takeaways from Dayton at George Mason

cpyle

They did not make it pretty, or convincing, but Dayton outlasted George Mason in Fairfax on Tuesday night with a 62-55 win.  The Flyers extended their win streak to 17 games, still tied for the longest in the country with New Mexico State.  Their record is now at 26-2 and 15-0 in the A10.  George Mason dropped to 15-13 and 4-11 in A10 play.  With this win, Dayton clinched at least a share of the A10 regular season title.  They have a chance to clinch it outright on #FridA10 at home against Davidson.  To the takeaways…

This was Dayton’s worst offensive game all season.
Although it’s not hard to take this away from the game, but Dayton played it’s worst offensive game this season.  Obi was the only player, of course, to make a large impact on the game, scoring 19 points on 6-12 shooting.  He also chipped in with 7 rebounds.  Crutcher looked like he was going to have a big breakout game in the early going, but only ended up with 13 points.  The Flyers shot 18.8% from three...

Continue reading...

I agree that Dayton passed up too many shots at times. I loved the ball movement on those possessions, but occasionally they looked reluctant and nobody wanted to put up the shot.

Where was Dwayne Cohill at the end of the game? I thought he really played well in the second half, so I was surprised that he sat the final 5+ minutes. Ibi Watson was playing pretty well too down the stretch (and hit some big shots), but I would have liked to see Dwayne get a little more time on the court.

I hope Dayton keeps up the defense. They are up to 51st in defense on Kenpom after last nights game. I would really like to see them get top 30 by Selection Sunday that would bode really well for their Final 4 chances. As a top 50 defense they are more of a second weekend team imo.

Yep, look at Final 4 teams and champions in the Kenpom era. A pretty big majority were great on offense and defense. Right now Dayton is just very good on that end, but there's room for improvement.

Back