Franciscan Cup: Bonnies vs. Gonzaga of the East

Siena really has fallen off a cliff. They've had six straight winning seasons, but now they're almost dead last in the country in NET/KENPOM, etc.

I honestly don't mind playing them, but I hope they can improve the program back to where it was a few years ago.

Building off 03’s post yesterday in the OK St thread (RIP), I do agree that we have proven we are not bad, but I don’t think anyone can be blamed for being very low on this team 5 games in. Bucknell was a truly dreadful performance.

These last 3 teams have been BAD, so to me, jury is still out on how much better we are. I do think it’s maybe a good thing we’ve had some teams to use as our punching bag as we figure things out.

Positives are MAW and Flowers, in particular, making things happen, Chad settling in, shooting improving, focus and intensity improving, defense remaining.

Things that still leave me unsure of how high the ceiling is: lack of taking it to the basket for some, lack of movement toward the rim without the ball for everyone (seriously fucking nobody cuts and slips in the lane back door, it’s insanity) and reliance on 3 PT shooting. If we’re going to trend toward being a live and die by the 3 team, OK, fine. But to me, that means we better prepare ourselves for a few stinkers, and reliance on hoping we’re hot for 3 days in Brooklyn.

Last edited:
MAW has complete command of the offense now. He didnt even close out the Longwood game, Luc did. The early season shooting was a problem but I knew these guys would pick that up. Assa is still struggling but he may have found something in the 2nd half at Niagara. CBB is weird, Bucknell went on to beat Penn St on the road last week. Our guys are clicking right now and shitty opponents or not, we dont always blast those type of teams like we are.

Siena must be taken behind the woodshed. Our metrics are starting to pick up as well and closer to where they should be but have to keep up that momentum.

Tough thing about this game is you should win by 30, but that doesn't tell you anything except yes Siena is really really bad. So the jury is still out. Unless of course we get a rivalry game dud and eek one out in which case yes all concerns are warranted and deserved. Short story is that we can't confirm anything positive until FAU, but I can get used to our guys beating the snot out of bad teams and comfy wins.

I think the only worrisome thing about this team is they really aren't all that athletic and are a bit undersized. Not that it always matters, but FAU and Akron will be good measuring sticks for this team.

Even though we've scored a bunch of points that past few games, I still think we aren't a high-powered offense which could hurt us. We are most certainly better than last year, so hopefully that leads us to a top 4 spot in the A10.

Fordham, SLU, URI, UMass and even La Salle aren't all that good, but the rest of the A10 has impressed. The jury is still out on GW and GMU, but I don't think we should be too worried about them.

Saint Joe's has looked very good, as has Duquesne, Dayton, Davidson and even us of late. Hopefully the other schools in the conference continue to win until A10 play.

Covered. Dominated. Siena blows. We still don't know what we've actually got. Onto the Owls and we will know something.

Back