Conference thread

This era of Bonnies MBB is looking to end with an inglorious whimper a la the mid-80s. There are similarities, that was a time of major change in college sports when conferences were birthed like rabbits. Right now, obviously the change to the NIL cesspool, renta-players, and free agent student-athletes.

It won't go -poof- if the school gets out in front of it, but we need an air freshener somewhere, lest we end up with another decade of DeCarli/Chapman level results. It would kill the program (if the NCAA doesn't do it for us first).

This year is a huge failure starting at the top. It might be Schmidts worst coaching job ever. 12-13 was pretty disappointing but this team should be better than what they are. I have no more fucks to give. Like last year, just get it over with already.

I only blame myself for still getting annoyed by a game like last night. The writing has been on the wall for the entire season. There are no surprises anymore, so if I'm still reacting poorly to the stinkers and hopefully to the good games, that's on me. Easier said than done, but it's high time.

That's what being a fan is though. Its more than being a fan too, its our school. There is way more pride associated with it and in our teams case not enough Pride (Charles) for my liking.

That’s true. Last year, I gradually stopped caring, because we just weren’t that good. The hot and cold has made this year a special kind of frustrating. I have no doubt we’ll win at least one of the next 2 against top 5 teams, and lose 1 of the last 2 against bottom 5 teams. Season in a nutshell.

That's what being a fan is though. Its more than being a fan too, its our school. There is way more pride associated with it and in our teams case not enough Pride (Charles) for my liking.
That's exactly it. I tried to stop caring but it just pulls you back in. It's 40+ years of your life, not a switch you can just turn off. CB3 you'll live in misery like the rest of us and like it.

I take it in stride. All the bullshit going on in the world at least I have Bonnies basketball to keep an eye on all winter, good or bad. Being an alum makes it extra special anyway, I dont live or die on stupid silly teams like the Bills lol or the Jets lol, I have no actual connections there, nobody does really. Bonas is home. As long as they still are rolling out the basketballs in that gym, I'm watching

Yeah of course, still watching. Give you an example. I recently went to a game with my friend, his 2 young kids, and his diehard late 70's grad dad. They lost, in disappointing fashion. I was annoyed. My friend was annoyed. The longest tenured fan among us, his dad, said "Eh, what did you expect? Been this way all year".

I just want more of his disposition. Roll eyes/shrug, move on.

Also, way to age yourself Mr. 40+ years BI! Now that this board is down to about 8 of us hopeless souls, with res and Citizen X being among the disappearing, are you now are resident old guy?

res met St. Francis in person, so he's still got almost 1000 years on us, and he's sure to chime in with KenPom advanced metric jargon when we need to hear it.

Audios UMass... How many years until UMass competes in the MAC? I'm sure their fans will be excited for the annual Amherst Battle.

Audios UMass... How many years until UMass competes in the MAC? I'm sure their fans will be excited for the annual Amherst Battle.
Absolutely abysmal for the a10 that Umass sank its basketball team for football… in the northeast where no one can compete no less.

I don't get how you make the math work.

To run a MAC football program, it probably costs what? $90K per player per year? And you need 65 players? That would be $5.8M in costs associated with running a program for players alone.

They average ~9000 fans a game and probably make around $100 off them if we're being generous. $900K per home game and 6 home games/yr. brings you to $5.4M a year in game revenue.

TV contract is only $670K per year. Throw in coaches salary, insurance, travel expenses and you have a hard time at breaking even.

Its stupid. Have fun being Temple and irrelevant.

Now lets get Loyola tonight and help secure a 5 seed.

Maybe Woj was right, maybe they are primed for a run? Or they'll lose at GW next week. Neither would surprise me. Great winn though, they played a fantastic game for the last 35 min. The 5 seed is now theirs for the taking. Winn the last 2 and its done. Id like to avoid the Dayton side of the bracket even though they dont scare me tremendously. They are the 1 team in our conference that can drop the hammer on someone and make you pay for an off night.

they have won 7 of last 10 since Duquesne and 4 of their last 5 in general. So maybe we are starting to see some consistency emerge it just doesnt seem like it cause they were so shitty against LaSalle

last night in the 1st half they were awesome

they have won 7 of last 10 since Duquesne and 4 of their last 5 in general. So maybe we are starting to see some consistency emerge it just doesnt seem like it cause they were so shitty against LaSalle

last night in the 1st half they were awesome
Yea, that came up last night. One of my friends said they have won 7 of 10 and I didnt believe it. The 3 losses were shitty so it masked the actual results. I hope Unfurled was right when he said the team had the flu last week. It would at least explain the horrible effort at La Salle.

If things dont go perfect in Brooklyn, we are shaping up to be in NIT contention. That wouldnt be a terrible outcome.

Yea, that came up last night. One of my friends said they have won 7 of 10 and I didnt believe it. The 3 losses were shitty so it masked the actual results. I hope Unfurled was right when he said the team had the flu last week. It would at least explain the horrible effort at La Salle.

If things dont go perfect in Brooklyn, we are shaping up to be in NIT contention. That wouldnt be a terrible outcome.
I think virtually all fans would say an NIT would be a disappointment, but it will help with recruiting to a certain extent.

Easier to say you just missed the NCAAs and you're the missing piece when you were in the NIT compared to winning 19 games and being left out of the postseason entirely.

I think virtually all fans would say an NIT would be a disappointment, but it will help with recruiting to a certain extent.

Easier to say you just missed the NCAAs and you're the missing piece when you were in the NIT compared to winning 19 games and being left out of the postseason entirely.
I am on board with the NIT this year. I dont think it carries the same disappointment that 2022 did. It will be a tougher tournament now that the lower champions have been given the boot. I had NCAAT aspirations before the season but I also didnt think it was highly likely. In 22 I had 2nd round or S16 aspirations. When you look back at the last 8-9 seasons, its not bad, especially when you look at the last 4 seasons.

2016 - NIT (should have been NCAA)
2018- NCAA
2019 - Kaputo! So close
2020 - Covid but we werent going anywhere
2021 - NCAA
2022 - NIT
2024 - Something?

Back