Conference thread

It doesn't matter where they finish, because they ain't winning enough in a row to do anything. Top 4 would have helped, but that's all but dead. This team hasn't won 3 or more in a row all year, outside of the 5 game streak against the sub 300 murderers row they faced in late November/early December. No reason to think that would suddenly change in Brookyln.

I'll be getting my pillow fluffed for Tuesday, March 12.
Pretty unacceptable situation, given the commitment made by the school/boosters. We need to be seeing a consistent return on that investment because 14-9 starts can be had at a MUCH cheaper rate.

What went wrong with this team? We knew they weren't the most athletic bunch, but they most certainly have talent.

Most of our returners besides Venning & Evans have regressed, we brought in skilled players who seem not engaged and then we have to start from scratch next year.

I'm sure we will win around 18-21 games, but that's not saying much.

What went wrong with this team? We knew they weren't the most athletic bunch, but they most certainly have talent.

Most of our returners besides Venning & Evans have regressed, we brought in skilled players who seem not engaged and then we have to start from scratch next year.

I'm sure we will win around 18-21 games, but that's not saying much.
Been wondering this myself. Bringing in Pride and Adams-Woods had a ripple effect so Banks and Luc were going to regress some due to less opportunities. Evans' emergence has taken minutes from Assa since they can only play opposite each other :rolleyes:

The players seem engaged in that they feed off each other and root for each other. I think its on the staff this year. The offense is so basic that they just stand around and dump it into Venning and he is not good at passing it back out. There is little to no cutting although Pride has been doing that a lot lately.

They seem to play well against our best competition but then teams like Duq and Fordham stymie them. I dont know...

Maybe they don't have the coaching chops anymore on staff. Guys like Moore, Curran and Woodall have left and they have been replaced by assistants for their recruiting resumes.

hate to blame it on them though because they are good people. I am just kickin around ideas, idk either what the issue is
And Schmidt is now 0-4 against his former assistants, correct?

I've let this rattle around. Here are my thoughts. I know I said there's nothing left to say the other day, but I mean it this time (after this post)

• Assa regression kills them. He showed as much promise as a freshmen as anyone before him has. We expected him to take a leap similar to Drew, Jay, Adaway, Holmes between so/jr year. He was that promising at times. This team was built for him to be getting 6 more points, 2 more rebounds per game. It was built with the premise that he’d be a mismatch at 4 and create off the dribble. None of that coming true makes a big difference. Could all those coaches no longer being around developing guys play a role? Maybe. But Moore was gone before the class of 22, and GMU isnt much better with Curran. Jury is out on that impact.

• Some of these guys just aren’t that good. Banks was an 11 PPG scorer on a fluky MAAC team with a history of hot and cold. Flowers was 14 per game on a team that’s no longer D1. They’re decent component pieces. Sometimes the stretch to the next level turns out to be Matt Mobley, and sometimes they reveal themselves in time to have been recruited to the America East for a reason. We’re getting the ceiling that could be reasonably expected. Ditto for Venning. Returning half your roster, but that half not being as good as you want, is tough.

• MAW is solid, but he never progressed in 4 years against similar competition. He’s a solid anchor, but not a stud. He’s a Kloof, when this team needed a Lofton (pre injury)

• Pride, the one guy I’m confused on. He’s shown the ability to take over, and also looks like an NEC player cosplaying as an A10 player at times. Whether its him, or not getting him involved, or both, I’m not sure. Probably both.

Either way I think my 2013/2014 comparison really hits home for me. We have 1-2 guys who are fringe 3rd team A10 players at best and a bunch of components. That’s not going to take you to the heights you want to go.

I think the 2014 team is a good comparrison for this team. A bunch of juniors and seniors with one or two underclassman contributors but no star, maybe a 2nd/3rd team all conference player. (Venning might make 1st team but based on volume rather than efficency). I'd love to see us be a little more consistent but we have a bunch of streaky shooters.

Assa hasnt made the consistent jump that we would have hoped for before the season but Barry has. I think our problem has been lineup inflexibility again. Assa and Barry have only played 11% of non garbage time possessions together. If you add Pride to that mix and say we want to play 3 giant wings with MAW and Venning/Brown and maybe play the junk defenses we played during LDG era and try to turn defense into offense. That group has been on the floor for just 40 possessions.

In my mind our recent teams have had two problems. 1. we dont have a go to bucket getter so shooting droughts feel awful. 2. we are inflexible with personnel. I pick on Billy Lange alot for just rolling the balls out and letting talent go to work but i think we would be served by doing that sometimes. Get 5 guys playing the best that night on the floor even if we have to get funky with lineups.

The sum of the parts are greater than the whole and to me that falls on coaching. They are not executing as well as they should or their strengths are not being utilized all the time. Last night, our bigs dominated and Assa found his stroke. When we have someone hot, we usually win. These guys tend to feed off one another too. I am done trying to figure out why, it just happens. We have games like VCU x2, Dayton, UMass, URI, FOR where we light the world on fire and then games like DUQ x2, FOR, GM, Richmond where we dont.

We can beat or lose to any team in this conference on any night. When you look at Unfrurled previews, we always have either the best player or 3 of the 4 yet we dont win like it. CB3 got me looking back at that 13-14 team. I can see some similarities. Ndoye down low, Senior Kloof and Wright at guard. That team waqs 18-15 and 6-10 in A10. This team will have better results than that. They played 1 tough non coference game at WF but they did knock off a ranked UMass at home and ranked SLU in the Quarters. This team has a higher ceiling, if they choose to hit it.

Last edited:
The conference was just so much better in 2014 than it is today. So this year's record might end up being much better but its against worst competition. I agree that if they play at 90% of their potential they could make a run in the A10 tournament but they just cant get to that level consistently.

When we have someone hot, we usually win. These guys tend to feed off one another too.
This is how it's been for a while. And this team is a great frontrunner. Get up big and preserve. One thing I worry less about with this team is blowing big leads, though it's happened a couple times but they were usually real early spurts before you can gauge how the game is going.

We just need to see them manufacture a win on a day when the shooting has disappeared. Like a Davidson win - if they weren't raining 3s they'd back door cut you to death for easy layups. They had a scheme that would win whether they shot 30% or 50% from the arc.

But hey, predicting this season is futile, take a Winn and put the march to the pillow fight on hold for at least a game.

Not much else to say, but still very curious to see how the regular season finishes out. They should beat a bad Davidson team at home. GW and SLU are the only other two that I feel decent about.

Loyola at home and UMass on the road should be tough. I think 10-8 in conference with a 1-1 mark in Brooklyn seems likely.

If the tournament started today, we would be 6th with the DUQ-SLU winner and then Richmond in the Qtr. I would sign up for that right now.
Think we would be 7th, but I know tiebreakers are wonky at this time of year.

1-DAY, 2 -LOY-CHI, 3-RICH, 4-VCU, 5-UMASS, 6-MASON, 7-BONA, 8-JOES?

-Mason beat Bona, but lost to Saint Joe's...BEST WIN SBU
-Bona beat Saint Joe's, but lost to Mason....BEST WIN VCU x2
-Saint Joe's beat Mason, but lost to Bona....BEST WIN UMASS

Seems odd we would get the H2H over Mason given our loss to them.

You break the tie based on record vs the group. All are 1-1 so the next step is highest common opponent, which is UMass. SBU and Joes beat them, GM lost to them so then it becomes a 2 team tie and we beat St Joes. What I am not 100% on is once you break off GM, do you go to the next HCP between us and Joes or do you go to the 2 team? I think its 2 team which would then be head to head.

Here is the tiebreaker process:
The following tiebreaker format is utilized for determining the seeding in the Atlantic 10 Men’s Basketball Championship:

Two-Team Tie
1. Head-to-head competition.

2. Conference record of the tied teams based on winning percentage versus the highest
common opponent and proceeding down to the lowest common opponent, if necessary, until
one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or
.000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

3. Coin toss.

Three or More-Team Tie

1. Head-to-head competition.

a. Use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than performance
against individual teams. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher
winning percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of
1.000 or .000, the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

2. If the above results in two teams remaining, the two-team tiebreaker is used.

3. If more than two teams still remain, use the Conference record of the tied teams based on
winning percentage versus the highest common opponent and proceeding down to the
lowest common opponent, if necessary, until one team gains an advantage.

a. All ties are broken in descending order.
b. When arriving at another pair of tied teams, use each team’s record against the tied teams
as a group. When comparing records against a group of teams, the higher winning
percentage will prevail. In case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000,
the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.

4. Draw lots.

NOTE: All ties will be broken in descending order. When arriving at another pair of tied teams while comparing records, use each team’s record against the tied teams as a group rather than the performance against individual teams. Once ties are broken, they remain broken throughout the tie-breaker process.

A win is a win and I'm happy they got one Saturday, especially against Davidson, and especially after getting outscored by 18 over the course of late first, early second half. I hate to be a whiner lately, but this win still was a microcosm of why it's hard for me to believe in these guys in a tournament setting.

The ice cold stretches, sloppy turnovers, soft play i.e. giving up second chance points, having defensive rebs or loose balls taken away, etc; horrible possessions in late situations, and total and utter incompetence coming out of timeouts. Those at this point are team traits.

Seriously, out of timeouts, what the fuck are we doing? Those possessions are markedly worse, and that's not how it should be. I also noticed Saturday, MAW looking at MS more often than not for direction on what to run. Whether that's a refusal to relinquish control, or a failure to sync situationally, that's a bad look on coaching.

Sorry be Mr Negative, because we are still in position to get a double bye, and winning 20 games is realistic. 20 wins and double bye + no postseason doesnt do it for me, when you have an all-in roster. BUT, alas, double bye is very in play with VCU's loss, and SJU/Dayton/UR still on their schedule. A trip to the house of horrors tonight kicks it off.

POW!

Agree. I was more relieved than happy after the game Saturday. I felt like we would lose that game if it went 2 OT so thank God his foot was on the line. No replay or announcement on what they were reviewing was bad on the RC IMO. They have to tell us something. I took to Twitter to see what was being said so I gathered his toe was on the line and it wouldnt count. I also heard the CBS guy was saying stupid incorrect things too which threw off viewers.

I am not very confident in a double bye, even with VCU losing last night. However it did help. Before yesterday we had a 13% chance at the 4 seed. That is probably higher now. At this point I dont really care. We can beat or lose to any team on any given night. With the Friday off day, the bye isnt as important as it used to be.

Just please beat La Salle tonight! I dont want to hear more than a few POW's

Yikes. Pound for pound, that one goes into the all time lore of Schmidt stinkers, along with Fordham 2013, Va Tech 2021, etc.

I love how we preach how we want to “win inside the paint” but can’t even do it. For starters, our grand plan to win in the paint is to force feed the post. Usually teams incorporate things like ball movement and back door cuts when they say win the paint. However, we incorporate none of that.

Then, ironically (I think it’s irony? I’ll need a ruling) we get beat in the paint consistently by the back door.

And of course, often getting out rebounded, giving up second chance points- yep, in the paint.

Back