Conference thread

hey now, Big Joe is busy!

When you are applying for jobs they make you submit a resume and then they also make you fill out an online form that basically asks you the same things that are already in your resume. Ugh! It takes time.

Big Joe will respond when he's done with all that

Crickets 12 hours into a situation that could have a devastating impact on donations both to BAF but especially NIL collective….

Not buying it that SBU never turned it down. It might be a word play but Bonas would have been in the mix given the other team decisions and too random for ESPN to pull SBU out of the hat.

I wanted to give ESPN the benefit of the doubt that when they were making the graphic they grabbed us when they were trying to grab the Johnnies but I'm not sure that makes much sense. Either way a quick denial/rebuttal would have been nice from someone at the school. I know there are active twitter users in the atheletics department that would have seen it there even if they werent watching NIT games.

I wanted to give ESPN the benefit of the doubt that when they were making the graphic they grabbed us when they were trying to grab the Johnnies but I'm not sure that makes much sense. Either way a quick denial/rebuttal would have been nice from someone at the school. I know there are active twitter users in the atheletics department that would have seen it there even if they werent watching NIT games.
If it was an ESPN mistake both the NCAA or a the school should have pointed it out immediately.
Also as a school that touts its JMC school, the Athletic Departmemt should have known this was coming and had something prepared to respond immediately

There's your plausible deniability. We never "declined" a bid. We respectfully requested one not be offered.

I’m guessing that since they actually got out ahead of this in the first place by letting the NIT know not to invite them, they were caught flat footed by ESPN’s revelation.

I may be biased since I did not want an NIT invitation in the first place, but I have no problem with what the university did. The NIT is a rotting corpse, and given the, at best, unpredictability of how this group would play, the upside was limited.

I’m guessing that since they actually got out ahead of this in the first place by letting the NIT know not to invite them, they were caught flat footed by ESPN’s revelation.

I may be biased since I did not want an NIT invitation in the first place, but I have no problem with what the university did. The NIT is a rotting corpse, and given the, at best, unpredictability of how this group would play, the upside was limited.

Your first sentence was my exact thought, too. They thought this would get swept away without anyone noticing, possibly including the players, and got exposed.

I can understand the notion of not wanting to go for the reasons you outlined. But the more this unfolds, it's all of the other aspects that are troublesome. The moving in silence, the notion that it's obvious based on who already entered portal that buy-in from the roster played as much a role as injury, and if we did keep it from the players? All three of those create a lack of trust from donors, fans, and potential recruits alike.

Can't imagine Big Joe Manhertz coulda F'ed that up any worse

Who did he consult with? Only his lawyer wife or something? I have 0 days experience running an athletic program but I know Bonaventure people well, like almost everyone else here and in our community does.

All of us woulda told him you can't do something crazy like blow off the NIT and expect it to not make news. And we woulda told him explaning it to a small group of donors 3 days later is just throwing gasoline on that fire.

what a buffoon

Can't imagine Big Joe Manhertz coulda F'ed that up any worse

Who did he consult with? Only his lawyer wife or something? I have 0 days experience running an athletic program but I know Bonaventure people well, like almost everyone else here and in our community does.

All of us woulda told him you can't do something crazy like blow off the NIT and expect it to not make news. And we woulda told him explaning it to a small group of donors 3 days later is just throwing gasoline on that fire.

what a buffoon
I don't think this on Manhertz.

Schmidt and company knew who would be transferring and who would realistically play. He also knew that Pride and MAW were probably already on their way out of town after the loss Saturday night. I'd be shocked if either are still on campus.

So to wrap up, I bet we would have bad 3-4 players MAX. Maybe 5-6 if you burn the redshirts on Rose and Thompson.

Schmidt and company knew who would be transferring and who would realistically play. He also knew that Pride and MAW were probably already on their way out of town after the loss Saturday night. I'd be shocked if either are still on campus.

So to wrap up, I bet we would have bad 3-4 players MAX. Maybe 5-6 if you burn the redshirts on Rose and Thompson.
You mean the redshirt that Schmidt already burned from Rose by playing him 11 mins in a 40 point victory against Siena for no reason?

Right, but even if the above is true, it’s the Athletic Director’s job to communicate the situation and Big Joe didn’t

Dayton last year showed him how it’s done.

Get out in front and tell people before they even announce the field, regardless if we were gonna get invited or not. How you gonna let people find out on an ESPN graphic

The decision not to play wasn't what makes this an egregious fuck up of epic proportions. It's the secretive and then reactive way Schmidt and Manhertz went about it.

Icing on the cake was 14 hours later having a secret zoom only with the biggest donors. At every possible turn they fucked this pooch and you can bet there will be repercussions.

Back