2024 Offseason Thread

Bona03

Evans and Luc are already in the portal. It will be pretty much a new team next year. Welcome to the new reality

I’m pretty much at the point of not caring anymore. The whole system is completely fucked.
I get ya, Bill. But SBU is pretty much the only A10 program that has experienced this type of turnover. His retention in the portal era has been awful and that's on him.

I’m pretty much at the point of not caring anymore. The whole system is completely fucked.
I'm getting there too - the NBA is a more enjoyable product at this point because despite the lack of effort night to night, at least you can expect your favorite players to be around for a while.

To be fair, he retained the top 6 scorers last year into this, which was among the most continuity in CBB.

That said, these 2 are on him to at least an extent. Luc could have found more minutes this year, both off-ball and at backup PG. He could have provided a bench spark next year. I don’t think he’s a starting caliber A10 PG on a contender, but he could provide value. That said, if he wants to start, I don’t blame him. However, we basically forgot about him this year, so off he goes. That’s on Schmidt.

Barry I put on Schmidt too. Everyone wanted Assa/Evans/Pride together. We don’t need to recap all of that, but the point is we pigeon-holed Barry to backup the 4, despite the fact he could play 3-5 freely. What’s more strange to me is that we didn’t used to be this way. LDG, Gregg hell even Stockard sometimes stretched to 5. And it often worked. Just like it worked this year. Why we insisted on refusing to try it, just because we had a couple of bruisers, I don’t know. But I bet it was a factor in chasing Barry out of town.

Barry was never going to be a star, but he could have a been damn good glue piece and leader, which are crucial for good teams. 2018 & 2019 don’t have the success they have without LDG, and Barry had upside to be a more offensively versatile LDG. Now we won’t get that.

Its also possible he just wants money that we were rightfully not willing to give, which yeah, the system is fucked. If Binghamton wants to pay him more than us and that’s the factor, then good luck in the AE.

I'm OK withbLuc leaving. Hes an undersized guard who depends on his ateleticism. Ithought he was over matched in A10 play last year and this year and this year not only did I think he looked over matched he almost always seemed to make the wrong decision.
He'll be batter off at a MAAC or American school. I wish him luck wherever he goes.

I get that take. I think we could have used him off ball and he was overmatched because we forced him into a true PG position, in a scheme that relies on a floor general. So really it's a question of fit for him here from the get go.

I don't think Luc was all that overmatched in A10 play.

As a sophomore, he did pretty well in a lot of categories. The only thing he didn't well was shoot the ball, but he still hit at the same percentage as Banks and you never heard anyone say Banks couldn't cut it in the A10 and the guy was a senior.

Luc might not be elite, but I think he could have been a very good player if he played 15-25 mins a night. Like many others have said, Luc and Evans were only seen as capable of playing one position, so playing time was sparse.

Given the fact that we've had massive roster turnover in two of the last three seasons, and we always have to play four road games OOC, next year will probably be pretty rough.

I get we returned our top five guys from last year, but wouldn't there be an incentive to bring in guys with more than 1+ year of eligibility so you don't have six players graduate at the same time?

In this era, you go year to year and thats the way it will be. You dont think about 2 years from now because who knows who will still be here. I dont fault them for bringing in MAW and Pride and taking a shot at this. It almost worked.

Is Barry really going to go somewhere like Binghamton or was that just thrown out there as a generic example?

This era sucks and there is nothing we can do about it. You can like/dislike Nick Saban all you want but what he said last week was salient. The main reason he left coaching was because kids dont care about improving, growing as adults, draft...any of that shit. The only thing they ask on visits now is how much money are they gonna pay? Bunch of entitled bitches we have enabled.

I think you're all correct. The system IS fucked. And yes, our HC/staff seem to be having a lot of difficulty navigating it. That's all off the court. Then on the court, we tried to play post ball in an era where motion works. Hell, the teams that give us fits all move the ball very well. Dump it to post and hope for 1:1 or kick back out worked great against the D3 schools masquerading on our schedule in December but not against A10 teams. Our best runs in games were where athleticism took over.

They do need to get a handle on roster turnover. If the only answer to that is opening wallets then see ya later, we're done.

Yeah 3rd, I think i's because getting guys who have 3+ years at this point is a nonstarter. If we bring in 3 freshmen like in 2018, they wont be there for 4 years, and that's not unique to this staff. I'll hammer the staff and coach as much as anyone, but retention is lower on my list of concerns right now given the revolving door across the sport.

I think the staff's new approach is exactly what we just saw, i.e reload every two years. Clean or mostly clean slate in year one, retain who matters, bring in filler upgrades, go all in on year 2, repeat.

Yeah 3rd, I think i's because getting guys who have 3+ years at this point is a nonstarter. If we bring in 3 freshmen like in 2018, they wont be there for 4 years, and that's not unique to this staff. I'll hammer the staff and coach as much as anyone, but retention is lower on my list of concerns right now given the revolving door across the sport.

I think the staff's new approach is exactly what we just saw, i.e reload every two years. Clean or mostly clean slate in year one, retain who matters, bring in filler upgrades, go all in on year 2, repeat.
The character of the guys you bring in (rent) for year 2 will matter more than ever now. Maybe chalk this year up to a learning experience.

Absolutely. As an example, Colorado State has 3 guys who transferred up from non D1 schools. Whole different attitude from that bunch, I'm sure.

Assa into the portal. Get ready for a brand new team next year

Back