2022 Recruiting

I thought March 10th too but haven't seen anything

March 10 was supposed to be the day but since PSA season is still going, he is waiting until after.

Arturo Dean from Putnam Science Academy, theyre playing for the national prep championship tonight, hopefully he commits postgame ala Lofton

Just saw that also. I liked his game but I can't say I blame him. We have the kid from Alabama in the mix, Rumpel in wait, Quadry, LB, Saizainou. If all those guys come back that's a lot of young guards, not to mention anyone we look for in the portal. A place with more clarity on his immediate role might make more sense. And in today's world a good year or two in CUSA can mean a big upward move with no penalty.

Just saw that also. I liked his game but I can't say I blame him. We have the kid from Alabama in the mix, Rumpel in wait, Quadry, LB, Saizainou. If all those guys come back that's a lot of young guards, not to mention anyone we look for in the portal. A place with more clarity on his immediate role might make more sense. And in today's world a good year or two in CUSA can mean a big upward move with no penalty.
Agreed, but not one of those players are PG. I might be wrong, but Rumpel, Quadry and JS are combo guards.

I likely could be wrong, but I think have Lofton on the fence about returning would be the biggest deterrent to Arturo Dean joining SBU.

China option may become less attractive in short order as well. South American hoops could become the safe haven. Are there nuclear targets in Argentina?

He’s more of a combo, but definitely inching toward a wing guard.

I will not be surprised if some (or even all) of our seniors return. The European hoops market is going to be drastically impacted by the Russian-Ukrainian conflict.
Having all five starters back next year would be quite disappointing for some many different reasons.

1.) Many of the guys we have on the bench (QA, JS, JNT) would likely transfer.
2.) We'd likely see another mediocre recruiting class.
3.) The team would likely have the same results this year as next (NIT lock with a decent chance at NCAAs.)
4.) The rebuild would be MUCH more extreme being that we'd likely have a completely new team with maybe one or two starters returning.

In an ideal world, Schmidt would understand this and only two or three guys would return. We'd be able to get some new blood into the lineup to create a different look on offense and defense.

An undersized team that can't score the ball will likely be a long shot for the A10 next year with SLU, Dayton, VCU all locks to be better than us barring major transfers.

Lets not get too crazy yet. I am skeptical that all 5 come back but I do think the number is >0. I am sure the staff will have conversations with each guy to figure it all out. The European market might be squeezed or it might not. Maybe they saw what Richmond did and they say lets run it back...who knows? I wouldnt say it would be disappointing to have them back but I am unsure how I would feel. The prospect of another NCAAT run is tantalizing. Perhaps they can learn from some of the mistakes this year and not screw up the opportunity? Perhaps they just are what they are and it would be exactly the same next year? Either way, its something I would tackle once it was set.

From Schmidt's perspective, why not have them all back if they want to? He would bank another 20+ win season, could schedule hard and build up his equity in the program. If that were to happen, he HAS to change the sub patterns. Brown, Rumpel and a couple others would need some time because we need guys to stretch the floor. Lets see how this all plays out.

Last edited:
My understanding is that we’ll have at least one, almost certainly two, and possibly more return for extra COVID eligibility.

Dom is highly likely.

Let’s be real, though: if any of these guys wants to come back, they should (and will) be welcomed with open arms. Don’t overthink this. 2021-2022 wasn’t perfect for a variety of unforeseen reasons, but it’s a special group.

My understanding is that we’ll have at least one, almost certainly two, and possibly more return for extra COVID eligibility.

Dom is highly likely.

Let’s be real, though: if any of these guys wants to come back, they should (and will) be welcomed with open arms. Don’t overthink this. 2021-2022 wasn’t perfect for a variety of unforeseen reasons, but it’s a special group.
No doubt, BR.

My post sounded a bit grim, but I’m just worried about an 100% rebuild and yet another season with limited recruits wanted to join us.

Three guys or even four returning would allow us to get some new blood while still having a legitimate chance at making an NCAA run in ‘23.

I guess you should never take a potential NCAA team for granted despite what would happen the year after.

The transfer portal helps you reload faster than ever, so perhaps our outlook wouldn’t be so terrible even if we graduate our starting roster after 2023.

Back