The Bonnies: 2022-2023 Season Thread

Richmond is the only team that might rival us in giving up 12-2+ runs. As dumb as it sounds this game will come down to not giving up that type of run. #analysis

Richmond lives and dies by the 3. They are shooting 34% for the season but only 29% in conference play. They shot 28.6% in our last matchup if we hold them to that then we might get our second road win. Again #analysis.

Schmidt has had their number over the last 7 years so hopefully that will continue tonight

Big swing game tonight. Winn and we’re two games up on UR and own the sweep. Lose and the mid-pack gridlock deepens.

Havent lose to the Spiders since 2017. It would be nice if they didnt start tonight. Our unpredictability gap has widened more than Fide's fart box, inside the RC post office shithouse, after a night at State King. It sure would be nice to get another one to offset the LUC/FU disasters.

CB3PT, we lost to them last year. But point aside, I always feel like Schmidt has a good plan against them. It would be nice to see a follow-through on the good defense and adequate offense again. If the 3's don't fall (Yann, Moses) then the guys have to create something.

How very BW of me. Of course we did. That loss was rock bottom. We got it together after that, riding a win streak all the way to the bubble, before shitting our pants to nail our NCAAT hopes shut. Maybe it being the low point, I blocked it out.

I have to admitt I didn't think the Bonnies had it in them to winn 2 road games after the Loyola game and the debacle vs Fordham. Not that losing vs Fordham is a bad, but just how bad, lost, and defeated Bonas looked against Fordham. Almost like they have given up on themselves and the season.

Now after a big road winn at VCU and a nice winn at UR, I expect them to fired up to play a prime time Saturday night game vs Dayton at home. Winn or lose I'm looking forward to some energy, excitment, and max effort form both the team and the fans in the RC.

These guys have rebounded and put themselves in postion for double digit A10 winns and possibly that 4 seed. Even if they dont reach them I hope to see them play hard like they want to get them.

6-5 is what I hoped for going into the La Salle home game if we wanted to stay in the mix for a top 4 spot.We somehow secured that record despite losing at LOY-CHI and at home against Fordham.

Dayton will be a tall task, both literally and figuratively. DaRon Holmes might be the best player to come through the A10 ranks in the last five years or even 10. He should be a fringe first-round draft pick this year. Only a sophomore, he averages 18 & 8 and shoots nearly 60% from the floor.

UD's top nine in their rotation stand at: 6'10, 6'8, 6'2, 6'9, 6'0, 6'6, 6'6, 6'8, 6'7.

This series looks a lot like the Temple-Bona series when they were in the A10. We NEVER beat them despite us having some better teams (record-wise) of late.

We are 9-28 all time vs. the Flyers, and 2-21 vs. UD since 2004.

Pretty stunning turnaround by our players after that Fordham loss. It's amazing how Schmidt's teams flip a switch once February arrives.

I read the players had a meeting after the Fordham game and really came together. You can obviously see it in their play. We can only hope it continues.
Moses talked abou this in the post game presser.
He went from a guy, who in the beginning of the season, looked like he was just looking to get his playing outside the scheme to a player who has bought in and seems like the leader this team needed.

During Conger's (take note) senior season ("No Sleep til Brooklyn"), athletics was posting great videos after each game that included Schmidt's pre- and post-game speeches to the team. The last video they posted was after a loss late in the season, and Schmidt was frustrated after the game with how the team played. I remember him admonishing them for not playing as a team / buying in (it's been too long to recall his exact words), and, if that's how they wanted to play, they could expect similar outcomes in the remaining game(s). Well, as a group, they didn't change, and they didn't go to Brooklyn that year either.

It's great to see these current guys apparently buying in, and I hope the results they have achieved over the last 3 games keeps the commitment alive when temptations start to creep into their thoughts down the road. With many of them coming from being the "guy" on their former teams, I'm always wary those tendencies lie just beneath the surface.

I cant think of a worse team outside of year one. There is no progression, in any aspect. This team is at best inconsistent and easily scouted, if not regressing.

I also can't pretend that there isn't a part of me, albeit a small one, who worries last year's face plant + this year is a concerning sign of Schmidt having lost his touch. It's probably crazy talk, but I can't say it hasn't crossed my mind.
What an idiot!

A three game win streak makes the worst team take look bad, but we were 178 in KP going into the VCU game that was our worst KP rank going into a game going back to the 2011 season, KP doesnt show mid season ranks prior to that year.

In 2019 we were 176 going into the second A10 game, which ended up being a 26 point victory vs SJU and that group never looked back. Hopefully the VCU game can be a similar turning point for this group.

Am I the only one that wasnt impressed with Rumple's minutes last night? I was happy with the timing of bringing Luc back in. The problem was LaSalle went small at the same time and we stopped running anything other than feed the post plays.

I'm all about feeding the post and playing inside out if the entry pass is there, but we fell in love with it just because Venning had a huge size mismatch. We didnt account for the fact that LaSalle's defense was overplaying the entry pass with their help defenders making the window to get the pass in very narrow.

I really thought we should have tried run other sets and turned Venning loose on the glass. I also wondered if Hill at center wouldnt have been a better option vs LaSalle's small lineup. (thats a positional flexibility thing we havent shown any interest in doing this year).

The 5 minute draught where we had a chance to take the lead we hurt ourselves and did what LaSalle wanted us to do, and gave up on any drive and kick attempts. One bucket in that stretch and the game completely changes. Our inexperience and not having a go to player showed during that stretch.

Am I the only one that wasnt impressed with Rumple's minutes last night? I was happy with the timing of bringing Luc back in. The problem was LaSalle went small at the same time and we stopped running anything other than feed the post plays.
Look, I'm not a fan of any guard that refuses to shoot the ball, but Rumpel seemed to play well enough in his limited minutes last night.

A nice and controlled take to the bucket led to an easy bucket for him and he also forced a TO that led to a layup in transition for SBU.

The opinions on him are so polarizing.

Either people think he's the guy that should be our top PG getting 35 mins a night, or you're in the other camp that finds he's totally useless and want him gone. He provided a quality burst off the bench when Luc was playing out of control, and I find it hard not to be pleased with his short minutes last night.

Not really in love with either of our PGs, but I do think we will be fine with BR playing 5-10 mins a night. We really need some type of scoring burst off the bench and I think Rumpel or Mellouk are honestly the only two that have that type of potential for us... which is scary.

Saying i wasnt impressed with Rumpel last night was probably too harsh. I think he filled is roll adequately but dont think he has earned more than 5-10 minutes at this point. I just kept seeing buzz about him that he should have been left in or be getting more minutes. As you say he is a polarizing player. I was surprised to see that he hasnt even taken a 3 and now that i think about it i cant remember him shooting away from the paint.

I think the reason Flowers came off the bench for so long was to provide that bench scorer role, that we are missing with him in the starting lineup.

Back