Bonnies vs Davidson

Bona03

Hoping I dont regret pissing off the wife and making the drive on a Tuesday night.

I just want to get this in ahead of time on the first 10 3-pointers we surrender: "Fuck, Fuck, double fuck, triple fuck! Get on that fucker like stink on shit and don't let him come up for air."

The fact we pulled it to a point where, we actually squandered opportunities to win,
Is like adding insult to injury.

Asking why we let it get to that is pointless though. If Brown really is likely out for the year, asking why we’re not giving next man up a rotation to keep things fresh, and maybe avoid falling into 13 minute sleepwalks, is equally pointless.

Double bye is the goal, if I’m not too sick of them to care by then.

It's 2022, and we have ONE fucking guy that can shoot the ball.

If anyone was surprised Bona lost tonight, clearly you haven't watched Davidson or Bona all year.

This game was lost through many areas, but the clear difference was the difference from 3. We are fucked if we play any team that can score the ball with any consistency. Davidson is one of those clubs. They would be us 9 times out of 10. It wouldn't be a Bona game if we didn't fall behind 15+ points.

Thankfully, the rest of the A10 is at best mediocre. I still don't know what to make of this team. I have total faith in Lofton and Adaway. Holmes and Welch too, but OO is beyond frustrating at this point.

The fact we pulled it to a point where, we actually squandered opportunities to win,
Is like adding insult to injury.

Asking why we let it get to that is pointless though. If Brown really is likely out for the year, asking why we’re not giving next man up a rotation to keep things fresh, and maybe avoid falling into 13 minute sleepwalks, is equally pointless.

Double bye is the goal, if I’m not too sick of them to care by then.
It speaks VOLUMES of Schmidt if not ONE of the guys he brought in is capable of playing 5-10 minutes a night.

It speaks VOLUMES of Schmidt if not ONE of the guys he brought in is capable of playing 5-10 minutes a night.
Bingo. We all love Schmidt, but he deserves his share of criticism this season.

If you’re going to turn over more than half of your roster in one offseason, but only two of them can play at all (literally AT ALL)… that’s on you, Coach.

In the same breath, if all of the newcomers are capable, yet aren’t being put into positions of strength or given the opportunity to play through the learning process, then that’s on you, too, Coach.

Dare we even mention aloud the shocking lack of player development in a guy like Osun? Wherefore art thou, Dave Moore?!?

Whatever Georgia whoever is paying Dave Moore we double it and bring him back. He is missed for sure.

It's a mortal sin amongst certain factions of Bona fans to utter that Schmidt needs improvement. But it's so obvious. Either your bench is bad.. recruiting fault, or you don't develop them.. your fault. Every team rains 3s on you, either make an adjustment or teach better D. If your players just can't do it, then get better players. Any way you cut it thats coaching or recruiting.

We don't have bad players. They share a lot of blame for this season's frustration but they are not in any way a bad group of players. They're good. Something just isn't clicking between staff, personnel, and ability.

All of the above points nail it. To make an already disturbingly thin bench, somehow thinner, with a full slate of scholarships to fill is quite simply a botch.

I'll add this -there were 3 guys on the roster in spots 6-8 in the rotation to begin last year. All 3 were more than capable of minutes, with offensive upside, and value to add in areas where the starters lacked, and we retained none of them. It's unrealistic to expect to retain all 3 in todays CBB world, probably unrealistic to have expected to retain even 2 of the 3. None of the 3 had real off seasons to develop. For the staff to be unable to convince any of them to use an off season to improve and earn minutes is a blunder on their part. I have no idea what the conversations were like between those guys and the staff, but it gives off the vibes as if the consensus was basically "yeah there's not a lot of minutes available for you to earn, sorry". Having any single one of those guys would have added contributions we sorely need.

BI85 is totally correct. We have good players. You just quite simply cannot expect to win with only 5 guys. We've never been known for depth, but it's reached a new level the last few years. 2016 and 2018 at least featured a couple of guys who could come in and, you know, do something.

Davidson’s rosters always make me long for some style diversification on ours. It’s great to have quick, springy, gritty athletes… but AT SOME POINT you need some guys who can do other things. Sprinkle in a couple of shooters? Ball handlers/passers who can pick up the system? The way players shoot from deep today, it’s so unacceptable that we don’t have ANYONE who can consistently bang 3’s (not the ones at The OP).

Its pretty simple to me you cant play from down 10+ and expect to win very often. In all of our losses we have allowed large runs at the end of the first half/start of the second half lets take a look.
vs Davidson - Bonnies up 1 then a 19-2 run (last 2 minutes of first half/first 4 of second half)
@ Mason - Bonnies down 5 then a 18-2 run (first 4 minutes of second half)
@ Dayton - Bonnies up 3 then a 23-4 run (last 10 minutes of first half and first 2 possessions of second half)
@ VT - pick your run but probably 13-0 to start the game
@ UConn - Bonnies up 3 then a 18-2 run (14-9 minutes left in the second half)
vs UNI - Bonnies up 3 then a 25-3 run (last 4 minutes of the first/ first 3 minutes of the second half)

In every one of these games it went from a competitive game to enormous hole to dig out of. We don't have a run killer on this team. The guy you give the ball to and say we need a basket make it happen. We were spoiled by years of Stockard, Adams/Mobley, Posley, Kloof being able to get a shot or create an open look for others in those situations. Lofton was on this list until this year but you cant be on that list for me if 6+ times in one season a team goes on a 13+ point run. No one else has stepped in to fill that role. My eyes/mind says that Adaway is the guy for this team but it takes at least two passes to get him to any of his spots. (in a different time i would have gone back to see which bonnie actually ended these runs but i dont have time to do that).

Other musings from the reds.
- WTF is up with our fans heckling when our guys are on the line? Making free throws ultimately would have won us this game but we got students making bird noises when Holmes shoots, some idiot townie sitting courtside yelling at the refs once the ball is in Lofton's hands on back to back free throws. This stuff cant happen, it also shouldn't effect the shooter but why are we making it harder for ourselves.

- Q Adams does two things as well as anyone on the team, aggressively defend the ball handler and cut off passing lanes. If you are playing a press and trying to trap Davidson's guards a guy that can cut off passing lanes and make aggressive plays on the ball is exactly who i want on the floor. Also he has fresh legs and 4 fouls to give, I can't understand how he didnt get any action. How big of a mistake could he make? Once the ball was across half court we were fouling anyway.

- Down 5 with 30-40 seconds left you cant pass up shots, dribble into double teams and throw a pass out of bounds/back court. If one of the bench guys made that decision at any point in the game they wouldnt be seen for a month. We play 5 seniors that have such sloppy habits and lack game awareness so often.

- This game called for the Tyler Relph offense. What is the Tyler Relph offense? It is real simple. PG gets a flat pick at the edge of the logo, SG/SF/PF are in a stack on the block, SG/SF pop to opposite wings, PG can take the pull up three coming off the pick, pass to either wing for a quick shot or try to drive the basket. Why is that the Tyler Relph offense? Because I can see Relph, Mike Lee and Fereti running that play in my sleep. They went to that set at the 2-3 minute mark of every game because we were always down 5-10 and needed a miracle to comeback. (forgive me if this isnt 100% true. I watched most of those games through a drunken stupor so my memories shouldnt be trusted).

On the money as usual Jive.

Lofton had his way with Loyer and whoever else guarded him in the 1st half and we didnt go to that well at all in the 2nd. I get that Schmidt wants to run plays and offense but lets go with what is working. BTW, as good as a shooter Loyer is, he has a terrible handle and will cost Davidson a big game at some point. Hes also small. No wonder he got buried at Michigan St.

The fan(s) yelling during our FT was really bizarre. I just dont get it. I think the one fan was yelling about that awful foul against Adaway (I hate to get on refs too much but that call was inexcusable. We could have cut it to 6. Instead they get 3 at the other end).

The missed opportunities and FT's really pissed me off. That cant happen. Lofton should never go 0/2 at the line.

Adams would have got more time but he had a really dumb foul which sent Loyer to the line. Holmes was on the bench (rightfully so) but after that Adams sealed his fate for the night. I totally agree that he should have been in there for pressing. I was telling my friends that we should have been doing offense/defense substitutions in that situation. I hate railing on Schmidt because he has done so much good here but this year has not been his best season. The players have done their share of shit too. Just an all around awful season for everyone. The most disappointing I have ever seen.

The big runs and terrible offense killed the game early in the 2nd half. They went right back to chucking 3's and not with what worked for the 1st 19 minutes.

- Q Adams does two things as well as anyone on the team, aggressively defend the ball handler and cut off passing lanes. If you are playing a press and trying to trap Davidson's guards a guy that can cut off passing lanes and make aggressive plays on the ball is exactly who i want on the floor. Also he has fresh legs and 4 fouls to give, I can't understand how he didnt get any action. How big of a mistake could he make? Once the ball was across half court we were fouling anyway.
Every time he enters the game, he's a spark. So much upside to him, but so little playing time. He will be a cornerstone piece next season and beyond unless we want to rebuild from scratch.

Davidson’s rosters always make me long for some style diversification on ours. It’s great to have quick, springy, gritty athletes… but AT SOME POINT you need some guys who can do other things. Sprinkle in a couple of shooters? Ball handlers/passers who can pick up the system? The way players shoot from deep today, it’s so unacceptable that we don’t have ANYONE who can consistently bang 3’s (not the ones at The OP).

I think we have tried for those scorer types and simply whiffed. Bobby P was supposed to be that, and was a huge whiff. Brown's health is no one's fault, but even before his absence, he definitely wasnt yet ready to be a guy to consistently add 6-8 points off the bench. Dom was supposed to be that- and to be sure, I love that Dom has developed valuable skills in several other areas- but his shooting has never been the consistency it was recruited to be.

I couldnt agree more though. We've always recruited guys who are long, athletic and raw but we would round it out with basketball players. Guys who didnt have the eye opening athleticism or size, but could still just simply ball. We've seemed to trend further away from that balance and favor more of the guys who do everything okay- but nothing that great.

I keep thinking of a guy like Kaputo- and then we go round and round- because that's what Joryam was supposed to be- but we're either blatantly not utilizing him, or we whiffed on him being ready to contribute.

The fact I'm legitimately missing a bench that consisted only of Kaputo and Jaylen "fight night rumor" Poyser makes me sad.

I've said it all season to anyone who would listen (which is nobody really) but everyone keeps focusing on the Schmidt riding his starters until they collapse. The problem isn't with those 5 seniors playing 35+ minutes, it's the fact that the bench for the last 2 seasons has been so bad that you can't take those guys out. Winston and Roberts both transferred because they wanted to be starters getting 10+ shots per night. No other bench player sniffed a D1 team.

You can talk about substitution patterns all you want, but at some point, the recruiting efforts are the real issue here. You can't fill a bench year after year with D2 players and expect it to perform as a top 4 team in the A10. Look at next year's teams:

VCU 2 4-stars
GMU 1 4-star 1 3-star and everyone back
Davidson 2 3-stars and everyone not named Luka back
Dayton 1 4-star 1 3-star
SLU (rumors are Perkins may return)
Loyola added to the conference

Even Fordham and St. Joe's are pulling 3-star recruits.

I'm all for finding guys that fit your system and I'm hopeful that Rumpel and Evans are players, but who knows. Year after year, we go after diamonds in the rough, and then ship them off to a D2 school the following year. If something doesn't change quickly in regards to the players being brought in, we could be on the wrong side of the conference standings again rather quickly.

Back