Based on one of the most efficient and valuable shots in the game, The Corner 3 is a weekly rundown of each team in the Atlantic 10. Here’s a quote, a note, and a little bit of showboat from around our favorite conference in college basketball.
- 17-10 (9-7) | 6th | Currently 6th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W vs URI, 65-54 | L at FOR, 91-82
- This Week: Wed. at VCU | Sat. vs GW
Fordham has that capacity to make you uncomfortable. We just didn’t respond. We fought, but we just have to make better decisions. The uniqueness of this team made our decision making a very difficult time for us.
– Bob McKillop on the difficulty of facing Fordham | Davidson radio postgame interview
🗒 During A-10 competition, Jack Gibbs is taking 34.9% of Davidson’s shots when he is on the floor – no player in the league accounts for a higher percentage. In those same games, however, Gibbs also ranks second in assist rate. A bonafide playmaker, the combination of scoring and distribution add up to a league leading 597 points produced this season – a full 90 points ahead of second place.
🎞 Senior Brian Sullivan penetrates the shorthanded Rhode Island defense and drops off a pretty bounce pass to teammate Nathan Ekwu for an easy slam. The Wildcats handled the Rams at home Tuesday 65-54.
- 22-6 (12-4) | 3rd | Currently 4th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W at SLU, 52-49 (OT) | L vs URI, 75-66
- This Week: Tues. at RICH | Sat. vs VCU
I thought Rhode Island did a fantastic job and really took it to us. We knew we would deal with some adversity, but we’re 22-6, we have a Top 25 RPI, we have the number 5 non-conference strength of schedule and we’re acting as if the end of the year is a disappointment, and it’s effecting our effort level. I’m not going to sit here and panic. But we’re going to have to earn our way to the finish line.
– Archie Miller | February 29, teleconference
🗒 In the three losses over their last four games, Dayton’s opponents have shot 42.1% on 3-pointers.
🎞 Senior Dyshawn Pierre collects the rebound and turns to find Scoochie Smith leaking out in transition. Smith finishes the and-1, tying the game as part of a 10-0 Flyers run. Dayton completed the come-from-behind victory at Saint Louis, in overtime 52-49.
- 15-14 (5-11) | 10th | Currently 10th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L at SBU, 81-74 | L vs RICH, 83-67
- This Week: Wed. vs FOR | Sat. at SJU
We’ve hit a tough stretch, obviously. Now’s the time of year when everybody’s focused on the same thing, we’re all fighting for stuff and it’s about really getting better right now, because the tournament is right around the corner.
– Jim Ferry | February 29, teleconference
🗒 Currently in a seven game skid, this is the fourth consecutive season in which the Dukes have dropped four or more games in a row.
🎞 The threat of a Micah Mason 3-pointer draws Richmond’s T.J. Cline out of the paint – leaving a lane for Duquesne’s Darius Lewis to roll to the rim. Mason hits Lewis out of the shot fake and the big man sends it home.
- 15-12 (6-10) | 9th | Currently 9th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W at LAS, 56-63 | W vs DAV, 91-82
- This Week: Wed. at DUQ | Sat. vs URI
Good week for our team. I think our guys are really proud of the way they’re playing – they’re proud of each other. Guys are just really into playing for each other right now.
– Jeff Neubauer | February 29, teleconference
🗒 At 15-12, Jeff Neubauer has led Fordham to their winningest season since 2007, when the Rams finished 18-12.
🎞 Redshirt sophomore Antwoine Anderson uses a hesitation dribble to turn the corner and get free along the baseline where the 6-1 guard sizes up Davidson big man, 6-foot-7-inch Nathan Ekwu, and unleashes a ferocious one-handed hammer.
- 10-19 (4-12) | 13th | Currently 13th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W vs VCU, 76-69 | L at LAS, 76-68
- This Week: Tue. at GW | Sat. vs RICH
Tremendously proud of our guys. I thought we played with incredible toughness, we defended at a really high level. A tremendous effort across the board for our group. It shows our guys what we can do.
– Dave Paulsen | Postgame comments following win over VCU
🗒 Compared to the rest of the Atlantic 10, at 31.4% only Davidson gets a lower percentage of their field goal attempts at the rim than George Mason.
🎞 Freshman Otis Livingston II finds senior Shevon Thompson with a silky wraparound bounce pass. Thompson flushes it home for two, of his team-high 17 points, in the 76-69 upset victory over VCU on Wednesday.
- 21-8 (10-6) | 5th | Currently 5th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W at RICH, 73-61 | L vs VCU, 69-65
- This Week: Tue. vs GMU | Sat. vs DAV
These teams are so good. There’s just not a game on our schedule in the A-10 this year where you can just show up and win, and I’ve never been in a conference like that.
– Mike Lonergan | February 29, teleconference
🗒 Anchored by a core group of three seniors, over the last two seasons Mike Lonergan has used just four different starting lineups.
🎞 Joe McDonald comes down with a stolen pass and turns to find teammate Patricio Garino ahead of the pack in transition for an easy fast break dunk.
- 7-20 (3-13) | 14th | Currently 14th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L vs FOR, 56-53 | W vs GMU, 76-68
- This Week: Wed. vs SLU | Sat. at MASS
I think everyone in this league is good. Hopefully we continue making progress here in the last week. The team we have in practice, I think, is one of the better teams I’ve coached. I think everything we learn and do this year has long term benefits for us.
– Dr. John Giannini | February 29, teleconference
🗒 Tony Washington continues to be an under the radar gem for the Explorers. The sophomore ranks in the Top 5 in 2-point FG% (5th), Total Rebound Percentage (3rd), and Block Percentage (5th)
🎞 Here, Washington skies over three George Mason defenders for a thunderous putback jam. The Explorers picked up their third conference win of the season, 76-68.
- 12-16 (5-11) | 11th | Currently 11th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L vs SJU, 74-57 | L at SBU, 85-83
- This Week: Thu. at URI | Sat. vs LAS
I thought we battled and played both of them pretty tough. I think they’re both NCAA worthy. We’re playing pretty good basketball right now. I think our guys are engaged and locked-in, and we’ve got two games left, so we’re going to continue to work and get better.
– Derek Kellogg on facing Saint Joseph’s and St. Bonaventure | February 29, teleconference
🗒 Having gone to four extra periods this season, no team in the Atlantic 10 has had more games decided in overtime than Massachusetts. The Minutemen are 3-1 in those contests.
🎞 Sophomore Donte Clark attempts a game-winning 3-pointer at the final buzzer during a road game at St. Bonaventure. Though the shot went in, officials ruled that the ball had not left Clark’s hand before time expired. The Minutemen fell to the Bonnies 85-83 on Saturday.
- 16-13 (8-8) | 7th | Currently 7th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L at DAV, 65-54 | W at DAY, 75-66
- This Week: Thu. vs MASS | Sat. at FOR
A much needed win at Dayton for our psyche, for our energy level. It was just a determined performance by our program on Saturday.
– Dan Hurley | February 29, teleconference
🗒 During conference games, Rhody has produced some sharp shooting. Jarvis Garrett leads the A-10 in 3-point shooting at 54.2%, and Four McGlynn is tops in the league at the free throw line at 97.1%.
🎞 Four McGlynn gets into the painted area and draws Peyton Aldridge away from Rhode Island senior Earl Watson. McGlynn dishes to the big man who puts away the easy two-hander. The Rams came up short to the Wildcats on Wednesday 65-54.
- 15-13 (7-9) | 8th | Currently 8th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L vs GW, 73-61 | W at DUQ, 83-67
- This Week: Tue. vs DAY | Sat. at GMU
One of the advantages of having a veteran team is just your confidence in their understanding of the situation. I think with a veteran team you just have a better consistency in their approach. I think these guys have been great – we’ll certainly miss them on and off the floor.
– Chris Mooney on the ability of his seasoned roster to turn things around down the stretch | February 29, teleconference
🗒 Richmond has not lost to Dayton at home since January 14, 2004.
🎞 Senior star Terry Allen goes to work on the low block with a quick drop step and strong finish through the contact for the and-1. Allen tied the game-high with 16 points in a 73-61 losing effort, at home against George Washington on Wednesday.
- 24-5 (13-3) | Tied for 1st | Currently 2nd seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W at MASS, 74-57 | W vs SLU, 77-63
- This Week: Wed. at SBU (Rochester, NY) | Sat. vs DUQ
Every coach is heaping praise on our team – it means a great deal to me. For so many of the coaches to present our team to people who don’t follow us – it means an awful lot. I want the other coaches to know, when the opportunity arises, they can be guaranteed that I would reciprocate that same praise. I’m honored to be in the league. Forget the teams, I think the quality of people speaks volumes.
– Phil Martelli | February 29, teleconference
🗒 In the Hawks two wins last week, junior DeAndre’ Bembry had per game averages of 22.5 points (67.9 FG%), 8.5 rebounds, 5 assists, and 2.5 steals.
🎞 Against a full-court trapping defense, the Hawks find DeAndre’ Bembry streaking along the weak side. The Player of the Week honoree soars past the final defender for the two-handed flush that helped put the game out of reach for the Billikens.
- 10-18 (5-11) | 13th | Currently 12th seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L vs DAY, 52-49 (OT) | L at SJU, 77-63
- This Week: Wed. at LAS | Sat. vs SBU
We played a lot of good basketball yesterday (against Saint Joseph’s). Bembry and Miles put a lot of pressure on you. (With his passing) Bembry makes other players better, and if you leave him alone, he can just take care of business on his own – he’s very bright.
– Jim Crews on the tough matchup versus Saint Joseph’s on Sunday | February 29, teleconference
🗒 During conference play, sophomore Miles Reynolds is drawing 7.0 fouls per 40 minutes. That rate is good for first in the league, and his overall 6.9 FD/40 puts him in the top 40 nationally.
🎞 Ash Yacoubou gets a block on the reverse attempt from the Hawks Lamarr Kimble. Saint Louis freshman Jermaine Bishop comes up with the carom and races to the other end for a transition bucket.
- 20-7 (12-4) | 4th | Currently 3rd seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: W vs DUQ, 80-76 | W vs MASS, 85-83
- This Week: Wed. vs SJU (Rochester, NY) | Sat. at SLU
We got down by 19, it didn’t look good, but I thought we made a little bit of a push. Like the entire season, we’ve always found a way.
– Mark Schmidt | Postgame comments following win over Massachusetts
🗒 St. Bonaventure has won 12 A-10 games for the first time in program history. The Bonnies have also reached 20 regular season wins for the first time since the 1976-77 season.
🎞 Sophomore Idris Taqqee fights to secure a rebound and then goes the length of the floor, finishing in traffic and drawing the and-1. The Bonnies held on to beat Duquesne at home on Wednesday 80-76.
- 21-8 (13-3) | Tied for 1st | Currently 1st seed for A-10 Championship
- Last Week: L at GMU, 76-69 | W at GW, 69-65
- This Week: Wed. vs DAV | Sat. at DAY
He was great. We needed some of our other guys to step up and Johnny certainly did that. When we have him in attack mode like that, he’s really good, and he certainly made plenty of plays and was huge for us. Tremendous individual effort by him, for sure.
– Will Wade on the performance of Jonathan Williams during VCU’s win over GW | February 29, teleconference
🗒 With their win over George Washington on Saturday, the Rams have now won 20 or more games in 10 consecutive seasons.
🎞 Mo Alie-Cox steps through the trapping defenders en route to a vicious one-handed slam over George Washington’s Tyler Cavanaugh. The Rams picked up an enormous 69-65 road victory over the Colonials on Saturday.