First Thread

• Posted In: General Discussion

ticket exchange forum perhaps? a good stubhub alternative would be nice

I have a feeling this will be a shoot the messenger moment but I cannot resist.

The Most Lopsided Rivalries in College Basketball Today

[IMG]http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/003/657/993/hi-res-967200c214fd755d3e84be107a4c3e09_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75[/IMG]

USA TODAY Sports
    Series: VCU 45-26

In 2011, Richmond, Va. was one of the epicenters of college basketball. Both the Richmond Spiders and Virginia Commonwealth Rams crashed the Sweet 16, a run that would see VCU advance all the way to its first-ever Final Four. Even with the rival advancing deeper in the tournament, UR had ended a six-game losing streak to VCU, making it a pretty good year all around.

The rivalry still hasn’t been kind to the Spiders over recent seasons, with that December 2010 victory being one of only two wins in 13 meetings since 2004. Nine of those 13 games have been decided by double-digit margins, and fortunately for UR, both of its wins fall into that category.

The city rivals spar in a game referred to as the Black and Blue Classic, and it’s once again a twice-a-year affair thanks to VCU leaving the Colonial Athletic Association for the Atlantic 10 after that Final Four run. It’s much easier for the game to become front-page news when the rivals can square off in January and February than on the crowded December sports calendar.

Now, if only the Spiders can keep from getting stepped on so often. The 2013-14 season marked the first time the Rams and Spiders battled three times in a season, but VCU took all three wins over a six-week span.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2…l-today/page/6

This made me look up SJU-Nova.

VU 46-25.

sjhawk13, post: 9916, member: 539 wrote:
    This made me look up SJU-Nova.

VU 46-25.

Interesting. I would have thought this series closer. Do they play each other yearly? Seems like they would have more combined games against each other given history of programs.

A10Rising, post: 9940, member: 598 wrote:
    Interesting. I would have thought this series closer. Do they play each other yearly? Seems like they would have more combined games against each other given history of programs.

Other than the period after Rollie and Chaney wanted to take their ball and go home, yes. This was during the 90’s when both decided to pull out of the full round-robin.

And the schools didn’t play between 1930 and 1955, I believe.

Because someone else asked me, I also looked up SJU-Temple, who, according to Wiki, have played 138 times, but I think that’s a few games off. (Temple leads 75-63, also according to Wiki).

How has VCU and UR not played more?

sjhawk13, post: 9944, member: 539 wrote:
    Because someone else asked me, I also looked up SJU-Temple, who, according to Wiki, have played 138 times, but I think that’s a few games off. (Temple leads 75-63, also according to Wiki).

How has VCU and UR not played more?

VCU & UR have spent time together in a conference and then apart and then together. During the periods of being non-conference foes it was a once a year thing. I would also need to check but I am sure that SJU & Temple started basketball programs before VCU & UR. Not sure though.

AlienAiden, post: 9945, member: 538 wrote:
    VCU & UR have spent time together in a conference and then apart and then together. During the periods of being non-conference foes it was a once a year thing. I would also need to check but I am sure that SJU & Temple started basketball programs before VCU & UR. Not sure though.

1901 was the first time they played, per everyone’s favorite source.

But SJU didn’t officially have a squad until 1909, so I’m not sure what to make of that.

sjhawk13, post: 9947, member: 539 wrote:
    1901 was the first time they played, per everyone’s favorite source.

But SJU didn’t officially have a squad until 1909, so I’m not sure what to make of that.

And VCU/UR’s first game was in 1976.

AlienAiden, post: 9948, member: 538 wrote:
    And VCU/UR’s first game was in 1976.

Good lord. Things really do move slower in the South.

Ha! VCU was Richmond Professional Institute Green Devils before Virginia Commonwealth.

1946 – Men’s basketball team established. Virginia Polytechnic Institute’s School of Engineering establishes a branch at RPI for freshman and sophomore work.

1968 – On July 1, 1968, Richmond Professional Institute and the Medical College of Virginia officially become Virginia Commonwealth University. VCU opens with an enrollment of more than 10,000 students.

sjhawk13, post: 9949, member: 539 wrote:
    Good lord. Things really do move slower in the South.

Yes, Northern hospitality and Southern efficiency:D Yet, for some unexplicable reason (I travel heavily for business and have been to 49 of our great states) I cannot leave. Love/hate beyond reason.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.