A10 School’s spend on Mens Basketball

• Posted In: General Discussion

This data is available through the department of education website and is self-reported by all NCAA institutions. There are reasons why a school might under-report their spend, but I have yet to hear a good reason why a school might over-report their spend. These are for fiscal year 2013

Men’s Bball Spending FY13
    VCU $5,052,379
    Richmond $4,162,532
    Dayton $3,985,079
    Fordham $3,563,735
    Duquesne $3,551,737
    SJU $3,379,619
    SLU $3,309,395
    Umass $3,266,120
    GWU $3,107,005
    GMU $3,010,170
    URI $2,784,810
    LaSalle $2,782,264
    SBU $2,495,445
    Davidson $2,048,783

If you remove the greater NCAA tourney residuals from the SBU, Davidson is comparable to the lowest spender in the A10 for men’s bball.

I’m sure someone can explain why it is, but Dayton’s number is definitely inflated.

Aren’t most things in regards to Dayton inflated?

By the way I know that being a VCU fan that is the pot calling the kettle black. Ha!

sjhawk13, post: 9951, member: 539 wrote:
    I’m sure someone can explain why it is, but Dayton’s number is definitely inflated.

My guess is an arena upgrade or something to that extent? Not sure really.

Interesting data. Does the report show the amount of profit/loss as well? Basketball is the bread winner for all of these school’s athletic departments, so I would be curious to see how much each school is bringing in.

As most staticians will tell you, remove the outliers and focus on the medium majority curve: amazingly little variation. Is VCU 1.3 times better than UMass? Not from what I’ve seen thus far after 2 years. Like public education, to equate spending with success (and integrity) is a fools game. BUT, it does reflect who is serious and who is wanna be. It takes talent AND money to win.

Natty, post: 9954, member: 2 wrote:
    My guess is an arena upgrade or something to that extent? Not sure really.

I wondered that too, but I doubt it. UR would have a bloated budget if that were the case.

achawk08, post: 9955, member: 601 wrote:
    Interesting data. Does the report show the amount of profit/loss as well? Basketball is the bread winner for all of these school’s athletic departments, so I would be curious to see how much each school is bringing in.

Every athletics department’s books will say they spend what they make. Non-profit, we gotta remember.

A10Rising, post: 9956, member: 598 wrote:
    As most staticians will tell you, remove the outliers and focus on the medium majority curve: amazingly little variation. Is VCU 1.3 times better than UMass? Not from what I’ve seen thus far after 2 years. Like public education, to equate spending with success (and integrity) is a fools game. BUT, it does reflect who is serious and who is wanna be. It takes talent AND money to win.

I think you’re right, but a lot of schools are serious about it and just don’t have the cash. I don’t think that’s anybody in the A10, though.

I think (/know) I solved the puzzle…

That $11.3 million wasn’t Dayton’s expense number, it was their revenue.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/ncaa_tournament_sweet_16_who_m.html

Their expenses were $3.9 million. The Revenue makes more sense now when you consider Dayton averages over 12k fans per home game not to mention hosts a round of NCAA tournament games at UD Arena.

Natty, post: 9959, member: 2 wrote:
    I think (/know) I solved the puzzle…

That $11.3 million wasn’t Dayton’s expense number, it was their revenue.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/ncaa_tournament_sweet_16_who_m.html

Their expenses were $3.9 million. The Revenue makes more sense now when you consider Dayton averages over 12k fans per home game not to mention hosts a round of NCAA tournament games at UD Arena.

You are correct. I grabbed the wrong piece of data from Dayton’s page. Their actual expense was
    $3,985,079
    according to the department website meaning that they are in line with pretty much the rest of the conference. I will correct the original post.

JoMo, post: 9960, member: 483 wrote:
    You are correct. I grabbed the wrong piece of data from Dayton’s page. Their actual expense was
    $3,985,079
    according to the department website meaning that they are in line with pretty much the rest of the conference. I will correct the original post.

Do you have access to the last 5 years of basketball spending?

Dayton capitalizing on the Elite 8.

EYEON
    College Basketball

Study: Elite Eight run worth more than $72 million for Dayton

By Matt Norlander | College Basketball Writer

May 22, 2014 4:44 pm ET
    AyNXd9D.jpg
    Dayton’s second-best run ever in the NCAAs amounted to unusual exposure.

Earlier this week, we passed along the bad associated with Dayton’s Elite Eight run: the tax bill the city paid due to so much police required to handle the frenzied celebrations.

Well, here’s the other side of it — the very good. Per the school, Dayton earned $72.66 million worth of “media exposure” thanks to making it to the South regional final. The report was done by the Dayton City Commission.

“A mixed method, multi-media examination was performed to assess the quality and value of media exposure from the start of the tournament, March 18, until the loss to the University of Florida Gators on March 29,” according to the report.
    The study professed to use similar metrics and takeaways as Butler, VCU, George Mason and Wichita State did in wake of their tournament boons over the past decade. Games, TV exposure and social media exposure were the elements extracted to determien value. Game time was based on 30-second ad costs depending on the channel that Dayton’s games were played.

There were three major components to this study: game play, television exposure and social media exposure. A value for actual game time was assessed based upon the cost of a 30 second advertisement.

The total estimated value: $72,660,482.

“This estimate reflects television clips from news outlets, syndicated television programs and sports analyses, as well as actual game play,” per UD. “The game play value is estimated at $36.7 million; clips from cable and network television brought a combined value of $34.5 million. Social media exposure was harder to gauge. We used a best practice valuation of ¢0.005 for Twitter impressions and $2.4 for a tagged Facebook post. Together, the publicity value for Facebook and Twitter is $726,321.”

Twitter: somehow makin’ money for everybody except the people actually using it — but very relatively speaking. See why below. Image via Dayton’s report.
    8w4E1rw.png

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask…ion-for-dayton

I think departments over-state things because of the red-line theory of mid-majordom.

There is no way SLU even spends that much.

Really? I think SJU spends that much. I’d need to look what, precisely, is included in expenses, though.

JoMo, could you source the data you provided?

AlienAiden, post: 9962, member: 538 wrote:
    Do you have access to the last 5 years of basketball spending?

I just checked and historic data is available for download going back to 2003. I have not pulled it for the A10 though. I have it for the SoCon.

sjhawk13, post: 9965, member: 539 wrote:
    Really? I think SJU spends that much. I’d need to look what, precisely, is included in expenses, though.

JoMo, could you source the data you provided?

Click on the link in the original post and you can search for any institution of higher education in the in the US (or just follow the link below and click on ‘get data for one institution’)
    http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/Index.aspx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.