NCAA appearances: 2 (2 wins)

Jim Ferry (Duquesne)
    Seasons: 2
    NCAA appearances: 0
    NIT appearances: 0
    Other tournaments: 0

John Giannini (La Salle)
    Seasons: 10
    NCAA appearances: 1 (3 wins, 1 Sweet 16)
    NIT appearances: 1

Paul Hewitt (George Mason)
    Seasons: 3
    Other tournaments: 1 (CBI runner-up)

Dan Hurley (Rhode Island)
    Seasons: 2
    NCAA appearance: 0

Derek Kellog (UMass)
    Seasons: 6
    NCAA appearances: 1 (o wins)

Mike Lonergan (George Washington)
    NCAA appearances: 1 (0 wins)

Phil Martelli (Saint Joseph’s)
    Seasons: 19
    NCAA appearances: 6 (6 wins, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet 16)
    NIT appearances: 6 (runner-up twice)

Bob McKillop (Davidson)
    Seasons: 25
    NCAA appearances: 7 (3 wins, 1 Elite 8)
    NIT appearances: 5
    Other tournaments: 1

Archie Miller (Dayton)
    NCAA appearances: 1 (2 wins, 1 Sweet 16)

Chris Mooney (Richmond Spiders)
    Seasons: 9
    NCAA appearances: 2 (2 wins, 1 Sweet 16)
    Other tournaments: 3

Tom Pecora (Fordham)
    Seasons: 4

Mark Schmidt (St. Bonaventure)
    Seasons: 7
    NCAA appearances: 1 (0 wins)

Shaka Smart (VCU)
    Seasons: 5
    NCAA appearances: 4 (7 wins, 1 Final 4)
    NIT apperances: 0
    Other tournaments: 1 (CBI Champions)

And the reason I post that…

I was just thinking about Coach Mooney, how I’ve seen some Spider fans go from upset, to thrilled, to wanting him fired, to happy with him, to confused (typical with any team really), so I decided to look up his record at Richmond then went ahead and did that for everyone in the conference.

Some takeaways:

Mooney’s seat will get hot, if it isn’t already: I think he’s a great coach, but just two NCAA appearances in 9 seasons, one of which saw them go to the Sweet 16, but they have followed that up with a class that’s about to graduate without potentially ever playing in the NCAA tournament. I think they have the talent to perhaps get there, but their results at the end of last season’s with that group don’t really inspire too much confidence.

Other coaches on the hot seat: Pecora and Hewitt’s butts have to both be on fire. I will be stunned if neither are fired after this season. Schmidt too? I doubt it’s easy winning at SBU, and he recently won an A-10 title, but still, that’s a lot of seasons to have just one postseason appearance and keep a job.

Shaka v Phil: A pretty wild stat, Shaka has one more win in 5 seasons at VCU than Phill has in 19 at Saint Joseph’s, and Phil made it to the Sweet 16 one season and the Elite 8 in another and has two more appearances overall. I was honestly a bit surprised by that.

Jim Crews: Will SLU fall off this year? Perhaps. But the fact is the guy has been to the dance both seasons as a head coach and has won a game in each. Who knows, maybe he’ll have his young squad better than people are expecting.

Natty, post: 9753, member: 2 wrote:
    Shaka v Phil: A pretty wild stat, Shaka has one more win in 5 seasons at VCU than Phill has in 19 at Saint Joseph’s, and Phil made it to the Sweet 16 one season and the Elite 8 in another and has two more appearances overall. I was honestly a bit surprised by that.

What, did you think had done more or less?

And while I don’t think an NIT appearance generally means much, I think guiding two different teams to the runner-up spot do count for something.

Also I can guarantee Mark Schmidt is perfectly safe. Seat is very, very cool.

sjhawk13, post: 9756, member: 539 wrote:
    What, did you think had done more or less?

And while I don’t think an NIT appearance generally means much, I think guiding two different teams to the runner-up spot do count for something.

I thought he had done more. 12 postseason (non-CBI and CIT) appearances out of 19 seasons is damn good, I just was shocked that Shaka had more wins in 14 less seasons, especially after the Jameer Nelson era.

I get that. Maybe we’ve been spoiled and expected more than was realistically possible.

I don’t believe that, personally, but the possibility is certainly there.

I have to say im surprised at the seemingly short tenures at so many schools. I guess it just shows that our level is a good breeding ground for ciaches boundbfor tge so called BIG confrences.

I think Pecora is safe at Fordham. The program was in shambles when he got there and he has brought in some decent recruits. Of all schools in the A10, the rebuilding process (if it can even be accomplished) at Fordham will probably take the longest. The guy has very little to work with compared to other A10 schools.

I think Jim Crews is relatively safe for now unless the bottom falls out, and a couple big recruits decide against SLU.

Natty, post: 9752, member: 2 wrote:
    Archie Miller (Dayton)
    NCAA appearances: 1 (2 wins, 1 Sweet 16)

Archie Miller took Dayton to the Elite 8 this year.

Natty, post: 9753, member: 2 wrote:

Not sure what #’s you’re looking at. If we’re talking about total wins, by my count Smart has 137 in the last 5 years, Martelli has 140 wins in the last 8 years. Which includes 3 years where VCU was playing in the CAA against weaker competition.

Natty, post: 9752, member: 2 wrote:
    Derek Kellog (UMass)
    Seasons: 6
    NCAA appearances: 1 (o wins)

He has two NIT appearances on his resume

Niles, post: 9842, member: 587 wrote:
    Not sure what #’s you’re looking at. If we’re talking about total wins, by my count Smart has 137 in the last 5 years, Martelli has 140 wins in the last 8 years. Which includes 3 years where VCU was playing in the CAA against weaker competition.

I believe he was referring to NCAA wins.

sjhawk13, post: 9844, member: 539 wrote:
    I believe he was referring to NCAA wins.

Ahh, ok. 5 of Shaka’s total 7 NCAA wins came in their Final Four run. I don’t find it that odd, it’s the nature of the beast, lots of feast or famine.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.