Your 2014-15 A-10 Preseason Rankings

Natty

May 2, 2012
I recently did my A-10 preseason rankings for Steve DiMiceli's blogger rankings, an exercise I found almost harder than exercise itself. Below are my rankings with a quick word on each team. I'd be curious to see how you all would rank the teams heading into next season.

My rankings:

1. VCU - "This should be Shaka's most talented team yet". We heard that last season as well but VCU proved to have a difficult time against good teams when they weren't playing at the Siegel Center (8-9 against kenpom top-100 away from Broad St). Mo Alie-Cox upgrades the defense which is a scary thought but they'll need to hit shots better than last year to remain a top-25 team.

2. Dayton - Close call between the Flyers, Colonials and Minutemen. Either of the later could end up going deeper in the postseason but Dayton should finish higher in A-10 standings due to what I think are easier home-and-home A-10 schedule pairings (although they do travel to UMass and GW with no return game, so could be key in tie-breaker scenarios).

3. GW - Colonials return the pieces inside and out to challenge for an A-10 title but hard for me to ignore the jump they made with Creek. Armwood a major loss on defense.

4. UMass - The departure of 5'9 Chaz Williams leaves some big small shoes to fill. Fair or not, college basketball will all be watching Derrick Gordon.

5. Rhode Island - "There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." The talent appears to be there, but is this the year they actually do make an A-10 jump?

6. Richmond - The Spiders struggled without Cedrick Lindsay but I still like their best five.

7. Saint Joseph's - Easily one of the biggest wildcards heading into next season based off the departure of their big three and return of super soph, DeAndre Bembry. I honestly have no clue how good they'll be, but I like Bembry enough to rank them in the top half of the conference.

8. Davidson - A lot of people are going to put them near the bottom. To them I say, "SAY THAT TO BOB MCKILLOP'S FACE!"

9. La Salle - Zack + Wright could be one of the better frontcourts in the conference, but having seen how much they struggled with losing one good guard last season, it's hard to imagine what happens when they lose three more.

10. Saint Bonaventure - Mark Schmidt has had these guys competitive in six of his seven seasons at SBU (his only REALLY bad year being his first, 2-14 in conference). I trust he'll do that again, even with the loss of some solid senior pieces. Ndoye will be a first-team contender.

11. Duquesne - Just do us all the favor and let Mason hoist em up from range every game. He should be putting up Troy Daniels-like attempts after leading THE NATION in offensive rating last season. I know I have them way to low...I just know it.

12. Saint Louis - It seems crazy to think a team that has finished first the last two regular seasons finishes 12th. McBroom and Youcaobou could surprise everyone, but I think they struggle at the true beginning of the Jim Crews era.

13. George Mason - I'd take Jalen Jenkins on my team in a heartbeat but I expect another bad year with the losses of Wright and Allen. Paul Hewitt has an annoying year ahead of him.

14. Fordham - With all due respect...it's just where they belong.

Natty

May 2, 2012
A quick word on my rankings...

Toughest teams to rank: SLU, Saint Joseph's, Rhode Island, Davidson. Really just hard to predict those teams. SLU and SJU were damn good last year but lose just about every player from each squad, except DeAndre Bembry in SJU's case, who happens to be one of my favorite players in this league. Rhodey is supposed to rise but they were supposed to last season as well. I do think they have the talent plus some added experience to actually do so this year, but I don't see them as a top-4 team just yet. Davidson is the ultimate question mark. A lot of people will question their ability to make the jump, just as they did when VCU hit the league. I don't think they have VCU type athleticism/talent, but I think Bob Mac is one of the best coaches around and could make them damn tough. I'm willing to bet I ranked them higher than any other A-10 blogger in DiMiceli's poll. You could also add Richmond to this list. They return everyone from the team that finished most of A-1o play, but that team was pretty mediocre without Ced.

Dayton, GW & UMass: Those three teams are so close in my opinion. I think Lonergan coaches up a tricky D and has MAYBE the best combination of pieces inside and out, but like I said, hard to know what they'll do without Armwood and Creek who were some serious ballers.

SLU: I probably have them too low but hard to trust a completely unproven group...a group that struggled to score last year with a ton of experience.

AlienAiden

May 5, 2014
Team
VCU
1. VCU
2. GW
3. Dayton
4.Richmond
5. UMass
6 Rhode Island
7.Bonnies
8. La Salle
9. SJU
10. SLU
11. Duquesne
12. Mason
13. Fordham
14. Davidson

May 8, 2013
Team
St Louis
1. GW
2. VCU
3. UD
4. UMass
5. Rhode Island
6. SBU
7. SLU
8. Richmond
9. St. Joe
10. Lasalle
11. Duquense
12. Fordham
13. Davidson
14. George Mason

Been high on GW for awhile now. I think their team last year was the 11-12 SLU team.

May 22, 2014
Team
VCU
1. VCU
2. Dayton
3. GW
4. UMass
5. St. Joes
6. SLU
7. Rhode Island
8. Richmond
9. La Salle
10. Davidson
11. St. Bonaventure
12. Duquesne
13. GMU
14. Fordham

sjhawk13

May 5, 2014
Team
St. Joseph's
1) VCU
2) GW
3) Dayton
4) Richmond
5) St. Bonaventure
6) UMass
7) Rhode Island
8) La Salle
9) Saint Joseph's
10) Saint Louis
11) Duquesne
12) George Mason
13) Davidson
14)Fordham

sjhawk13

May 5, 2014
Team
St. Joseph's
You must all think DeAndre Bembry is really, really good.

I like George Mason. I don't know why. I think they have a number of good pieces who will keep them in and win a few games, even if all the pieces don't fit well all the time. I could see them up a spot or two.

La Salle has too much unknown at the guard position to make an accurate read on their doings. That can be said for almost every team in the conference, but not every team has Wright and Zack.

Richmond needs a more efficient Kendall Anthony. This should happen since they should be healthier and he won't need to run into the fire alone every time out.

Bill Russell

May 23, 2012
Buffalo, NY
www.bonaalumni.com
Team
St. Bonaventure
You must all think DeAndre Bembry is really, really good.

I like George Mason. I don't know why. I think they have a number of good pieces who will keep them in and win a few games, even if all the pieces don't fit well all the time. I could see them up a spot or two.

La Salle has too much unknown at the guard position to make an accurate read on their doings. That can be said for almost every team in the conference, but not every team has Wright and Zack.

Richmond needs a more efficient Kendall Anthony. This should happen since they should be healthier and he won't need to run into the fire alone every time out.
I do. Bembry is a stud and they have some nice pieces around him--especially if Demery is what some say he is. Also, Markell Lodge is my sleeper freshman. I know the Bona staff liked him a lot.

La Salle, Rhody, and even Richmond are really hard to read for varying reasons. Davidson could be higher or lower, but I love McKillop. They shouldn't suck by any means.

I can understand some folks having hesitation on Bona due to the new PGs. However, I've really liked both Iakeem Alston and Jaylen Quincy Adams. The former won't score much from the perimeter, but he's a bull who is faster than greased sh*t and can REALLY push the issue. The latter is a much more polished PG and shooter, but needs strength.

AlienAiden

May 5, 2014
Team
VCU
You and Bill both have the Bonnies above UMass. I can see SBU having a very good season as I have them at #7. The West Virginia transfer should fill in nicely for Chaz and I like Gordon to have a good season. They are a tall team as well. GW will be tough and VCU could have to wait one more year to win the outright title. I think they can do it this season though.

Bill Russell

May 23, 2012
Buffalo, NY
www.bonaalumni.com
Team
St. Bonaventure
You and Bill both have the Bonnies above UMass. I can see them having a very good season as I also have them at #7. The West Virginia transfer should fill in nicely for Chaz and I like Gordon to have a good season. They are a tall team as well.
That's another one. We all know how tough the league is and putting anyone, really, in the top nine or so is no insult. UMass could very easily be really good again, but it is so hard to forecast a team losing its do-it-all first team PG. If Hinds is really good, they'll probably contend for the NCAA again.

May 15, 2014
Team
Rhode Island
1. VCU
2. GW
3. Richmond
4. Rhode Island
5. UMass
6. La Salle
7. Dayton
8. Mason
9. Bonnies
10. SJU
11. SLU
12. Fordham
13. Duquesne
14. Davidson

to me Dayton very well could be La Salle from last year, although most of this is purely guessing

AlienAiden

May 5, 2014
Team
VCU
I also think that Coach McKillop will have Davidson ready and I expect a team that will be shooting lots of 3s. He has a 61% winning percentage while playing in the Southern and two or three years in the Big South. The A10 is pretty loaded and the road is very tough. The physical nature of the A10 has me thinking "show me". Davidson was 272nd in the nation on the boards last year.

I have said it before but I also think Fordham will make strides this season but I still could not put them above 13 in my preseason picks.

Last edited:

sjhawk13

May 5, 2014
Team
St. Joseph's
Regarding my placement of UMass, I don't think they're going to be as good without Chaz to bail them out at the end of games to pick up cheap fouls and get to the line.

If Cady Lalanne doesn't man up, which I don't expect him to, I don't think they'll be where they were last year. I do like Derrick Gordon, though.

May 22, 2014
Team
VCU
Well because he did the list he would say you have those teams to low :D
I guess so lol. I just can't see Richmond finishing in the Top 3 among the best of the A10 like VCU, Dayton, GW or UMass.... I just don't see it. Kendall Anthony (as much as it pains me to say it) is a very good player... but I'm just not sold on the rest of their squad or even Mooney for that matter.

As for Mason... them finishing 8th? To me that's an even bigger stretch. I got Richmond finishing 8th.... and honestly out of my Top 8.... I can't see Mason finishing above anyone of them.

AlienAiden

May 5, 2014
Team
VCU
I guess so lol. I just can't see Richmond finishing in the Top 3 among the best of the A10 like VCU, Dayton, GW or UMass.... I just don't see it. Kendall Anthony (as much as it pains me to say it) is a very good player... but I'm just not sold on the rest of their squad or even Mooney for that matter.

As for Mason... them finishing 8th? To me that's an even bigger stretch. I got Richmond finishing 8th.... and honestly out of my Top 8.... I can't see Mason finishing above anyone of them.
UR has a very strong starting 5 but their bench is the question mark. I think Terry Allen is going to have a great season. Jones at point will allow others to get involved. I loved Lindsay but he tended to drive without kicking it.

Maybe SJU can get that girl in the little league world series to run point. She is stealing the show in Williamsport.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.