Transfer Portal thread

The rest of you guys aren't wrong, but neither is a agoo. Unfurled asked about how we'd feel a decade from now. Any of you that have ever had a finance or economics class should understand that a discount rate is a real thing.

To answer SBUfurled's question, I think time heals all wounds. I think if the Big 3 say the right things on the way out it will help with the healing process. Fuck I'd even help them craft a statement, tell them to stick to the script even if its how they dont feel now. I know I feel different about places and events as become older and more mature. However the way it went down I think will always knock them down a notch in Bona lore. But when they come back for some event 20 yeard down the road I'll clap.
To me, from the first time I heard Adaway on SBUnfurled and Friends pod cast he seem more mature than most college kids. He talked about how the year sitting out helped him work on his game. Subsequent retwwrs and quotes I've seen from him only solidified it. On senior night that wasnt me crying whne his granfather spoke and he walked out with his family that wasnt me crying that was you crying. I really wish he played at Bonas for all 4 years
Ihave no issue with Holmed leaving seems like he made his intentions know early in the process, I just wished he chose his words better in some of his comments, espacially because he seems like a bright kid. I hope he didnt but he may have burnt some bridges that someone in their early 20;s probably doesnt think about. His comments sounded like a chick who was dumped. Things really seemed to go south with and the fans around mid season.
One thing I will add all players in D1 especially players like Lofton and Holmes(under recruited guys out of HS) have to be suduced with the expirence of being recruited again. Imagine having numerouse coaches wining and dining you, stroking your ego and sucking you dick? I maybe in the portal every year. Unless of course the RC was my home court.

Fair enough, res, but psychology is neither finance nor economics. They’re leaving behind them fractured relationships and resentment as they walk out the door. I don’t think that’ll be wholly forgotten. I think for most of us, that can be true while also still recognizing and appreciating what their accomplishments did for the program, and for us as fans.

Last edited:
I’m sort not NOT fine with Holmes at this point. He’s been quite passive-aggressive on his way out the door, and a (Ravishing Rick) rude awakening looms if he gets this ruffled by a small vocal minority in our fan base.

Turn the page. We won before them and will win after them. Gotta get a couple of bigs, and, unfortunately, recruit the portal for 2-3 year players—the difference being that we won’t recruit/entice kids from lower leagues BEFORE they enter.
Yes, the "it's a whole different world" comment struck me, like sure SBU is a great fan base but that's small potatoes compared to a basketball behemoth like Iowa State. But at least he announced his intentions early.

If the rumors are true and he's getting in the vicinity of 6 figures NIL, that is what opened the portal door for the other 3. No doubt he told them what he's getting, they're all better players than he is, and they're now looking at 75K (allegedly) thinking Jay's a good player but come on.

They will look back in 10 years and regret how they handled this situation. Because in 10 years they'll have the hindsight and general life wisdom that we all think we have because we aren't 22 years old. Most of us are much older in fact. It was shitty. People went out of their way to get them compensation, they allegedly got a verbal, and now they've backed out. But nothing was in stone, and if a guy like Shoon can command double a guy like Holmes, you're talking bank. Blame the game. Blame NIL. It sours a lot of fun rooting for these guys since fall 2018, no doubt. But I hope we look back in 10 years ourselves and say, they're kids, they're getting "strong-ass" $ signs thrown at them, and they're looking out for #1, this is all a product of a terribly shitty era of college athletics.

Yes, the "it's a whole different world" comment struck me, like sure SBU is a great fan base but that's small potatoes compared to a basketball behemoth like Iowa State. But at least he announced his intentions early.

If the rumors are true and he's getting in the vicinity of 6 figures NIL, that is what opened the portal door for the other 3. No doubt he told them what he's getting, they're all better players than he is, and they're now looking at 75K (allegedly) thinking Jay's a good player but come on.

They will look back in 10 years and regret how they handled this situation. Because in 10 years they'll have the hindsight and general life wisdom that we all think we have because we aren't 22 years old. Most of us are much older in fact. It was shitty. People went out of their way to get them compensation, they allegedly got a verbal, and now they've backed out. But nothing was in stone, and if a guy like Shoon can command double a guy like Holmes, you're talking bank. Blame the game. Blame NIL. It sours a lot of fun rooting for these guys since fall 2018, no doubt. But I hope we look back in 10 years ourselves and say, they're kids, they're getting "strong-ass" $ signs thrown at them, and they're looking out for #1, this is all a product of a terribly shitty era of college athletics.
To be fair to Holmes, It's not like he posted those comments about Ames, IA being better than Allegany on his IG story, it was to some reporter at ISU and was only found because someone was searching an ISU basketball message board.

Holmes' comments really aren't that bad at all and I don't think he meant much by it.

Maybe their leaving blindsided the staff, but they are all supposed to graduate this May, so they've fulfilled their promise to SBU in my eyes. IF they are getting $75K + to play an additional year somewhere else, then it's hard to knock them on that.

The group always seemed to have so much potential, and for whatever reason, it never really came to fruition.

In 2018-2019, they really struggled out of the gate, but once they all got healthy, they really turned heads and nearly played their way into the NCAAT.

2019-2020 was pretty disappointing in the fact they really didn't do anything of note that year. Beat most of the teams they should have, and lost to every team that was better than them. They probably would have been an NIT had they not started 1-4.

2020-2021 was a weird year, but we got an NCAA trip out of it. Again, a bit disappointing and we played terribly against LSU.

Don't really need to rehash this year, but I think we all were expecting to not only make the NCAAs but to win a game or two. That obviously didn't happen.

For whatever reason, I never felt like I was truly watching some of SBU's greatest players or teams when I watched this group play these past four years.

No knock against the bunch because they won a ton of games over the last four years, but I am OK with turning over the roster. Just wish we had LB, QA and AKC back with us for next year.

you are too sensitive. Of course Iowa State is a different world than Bonas. Its a massive public university in the boring midwest. We are different than them and I am proud of that

you are too sensitive. Of course Iowa State is a different world than Bonas. Its a massive public university in the boring midwest. We are different than them and I am proud of that
EYOA. You have shitty reading comprehension, and a serious lack of historical perspective w.r.t. what I comment.

To be fair to Holmes, It's not like he posted those comments about Ames, IA being better than Allegany on his IG story, it was to some reporter at ISU and was only found because someone was searching an ISU basketball message board.

Holmes' comments really aren't that bad at all and I don't think he meant much by it.

Maybe their leaving blindsided the staff, but they are all supposed to graduate this May, so they've fulfilled their promise to SBU in my eyes. IF they are getting $75K + to play an additional year somewhere else, then it's hard to knock them on that.

The group always seemed to have so much potential, and for whatever reason, it never really came to fruition.

In 2018-2019, they really struggled out of the gate, but once they all got healthy, they really turned heads and nearly played their way into the NCAAT.

2019-2020 was pretty disappointing in the fact they really didn't do anything of note that year. Beat most of the teams they should have, and lost to every team that was better than them. They probably would have been an NIT had they not started 1-4.

2020-2021 was a weird year, but we got an NCAA trip out of it. Again, a bit disappointing and we played terribly against LSU.

Don't really need to rehash this year, but I think we all were expecting to not only make the NCAAs but to win a game or two. That obviously didn't happen.

For whatever reason, I never felt like I was truly watching some of SBU's greatest players or teams when I watched this group play these past four years.

No knock against the bunch because they won a ton of games over the last four years, but I am OK with turning over the roster. Just wish we had LB, QA and AKC back with us for next year.

They got a little too comfortable with Shoon defending the rim on defense. They really only played man D and he bailed them out if their man got by them.

I am sad to see Shoon go of course, if that's the case, but I think back to the 2018 at-large team that was versatile on D, switching from man to zone and causing headaches. That was fun and I hope we can get back to that

They have, but for those of us who think this is bullshit, it isn't about them choosing to spend their bonus year elsewhere.

You have an offer of 75K + your word of commitment to your staff of 4 years who yourself have referred to as 'family', and at the 11th hour bail, and don't even bother to tell the staff to their faces? If that's how it really went down, I'm not cool with that, as a matter of principle. Anyone who thinks it's no biggie to handle it that way, is entitled to that. But I wont be agreeing with them if they do.

If their stance had been "I want to take to May 1 to decide and consider everything" then this is a nonissue and not a discussion, in me eyes. As a practical matter, I'm totally cool with the roster turning over too.

I don't know if I need to post this, but at least I can get it out there and off my mind and can consider any comments you folks have in response. I just don't want to come off like I'm bashing any one individual publicly since I swore off on doing that several years ago.

I said on the first page of this thread that I actually favored all the guys moving on. I really had enough of this group after this past season. First of all, it's been 4 years for most, and 3 for another, so things ran their course, but also they had the abilities to do some really special things but they could not find it within themselves to execute. Each guy was great in a specific way, but really disappointing in others. As a group, they probably disappointed as bad as "wide right" and "13 seconds." It just wasn't as sudden. Why would next year be any different?

By the time these guys got to the NIT, I had less passion for them than in most any other recent season. Of course I was happy to see them pull off the wins they did on the road, and get good pub for the university, but I never gave a thought to going to the Garden. That would have been out of the question in any other year.

So, I was ready to move on and would not hold it against any of them for moving on, as well.

Now, I see all the rumors about broken commitments and leaving the coaches in the dark. I'm too far removed from things to get any better information than what I read on social media, so I try to be careful to not overreact to what I read. That's my hedge against what I would feel if I knew for certain that what I've read it true, but if I assume it is true, as SBUUnfurled asked, I now have a real problem with at least 3 of these guys. Whether it's this morning, or 10 years from now, there will always be something there. It is a similar situation to a guy I went to school with. He's a fun guy, and everyone else likes getting together with him, but I know something he did against the university when we were there 30+ years ago, and that always gets between me and really liking the guy.

The one factor I could hold in defense of the players walking is the situation with Schmidt during the NIT. He was about to walk, too, so why hold it against these guys? The problem with that rationale for me is my understanding that Schmidt told the university he was talking to someone else and provided SBU with a chance to keep him (for less than the alternative offer?). It doesn't sound like these guys did that. That will be their legacy in my mind and gut.

I don't know if I need to post this, but at least I can get it out there and off my mind and can consider any comments you folks have in response. I just don't want to come off like I'm bashing any one individual publicly since I swore off on doing that several years ago.

I said on the first page of this thread that I actually favored all the guys moving on. I really had enough of this group after this past season. First of all, it's been 4 years for most, and 3 for another, so things ran their course, but also they had the abilities to do some really special things but they could not find it within themselves to execute. Each guy was great in a specific way, but really disappointing in others. As a group, they probably disappointed as bad as "wide right" and "13 seconds." It just wasn't as sudden. Why would next year be any different?

By the time these guys got to the NIT, I had less passion for them than in most any other recent season. Of course I was happy to see them pull off the wins they did on the road, and get good pub for the university, but I never gave a thought to going to the Garden. That would have been out of the question in any other year.

So, I was ready to move on and would not hold it against any of them for moving on, as well.

Now, I see all the rumors about broken commitments and leaving the coaches in the dark. I'm too far removed from things to get any better information than what I read on social media, so I try to be careful to not overreact to what I read. That's my hedge against what I would feel if I knew for certain that what I've read it true, but if I assume it is true, as SBUUnfurled asked, I now have a real problem with at least 3 of these guys. Whether it's this morning, or 10 years from now, there will always be something there. It is a similar situation to a guy I went to school with. He's a fun guy, and everyone else likes getting together with him, but I know something he did against the university when we were there 30+ years ago, and that always gets between me and really liking the guy.

The one factor I could hold in defense of the players walking is the situation with Schmidt during the NIT. He was about to walk, too, so why hold it against these guys? The problem with that rationale for me is my understanding that Schmidt told the university he was talking to someone else and provided SBU with a chance to keep him (for less than the alternative offer?). It doesn't sound like these guys did that. That will be their legacy in my mind and gut.
You nailed it. Most of this reflects exactly how I feel.

Of course, if the core three wanted to return (which they did commit to doing a while back), we should and would accept them with open arms. Now? This whole process has been spectacularly unsavory on multiple levels. Everything I thought I knew about them is in question now.

College athletics needs a major intervention—be it from the NCAA, Congress, and/or the legal system—as soon as possible, or these fan bases that have built the infrastructure for such lucrative entities will slowly wither.

It wouldn't be any different.

I honestly have gone back and forth on whether it would be preferable to have the whole group return or just start over with some freshman and transfers.

You never want to turn your nose up to a group of guys that would likely win 20+ games, but I think we'd have the same problems next year as we did this year. Limited bench, continued roster turnover and still have a team that had some significant issues that led to us missing the NCAAs by a decent margin.

If this was done right, I think we would have been in a position to return our entire bench while welcoming in a few new players. No one knows how good these new guys will be, but I think we should still be in the mix to win 18 games or so with a core that could be together for two or three years.

The scenario unfurled posted tracks pretty closely with what I’ve heard.

It will be interesting to see how Holmes reacts to a coach that will actually bench him when he shits the bed.

Smell ya later, boys.

That's quite the landing spot for a guy who played 20 minutes all season.

Good for him!

Back