Transfer Portal thread

To an extent. I believe you can only transfer once without penalty, right? So in theory, Flowers, Luc, Banks are all here for 23/24 (unless they go pro) because they wouldnt want to sit ? If that's the case it allows you to build to the future to the extent that you fill a core with transfers?
That's the logic I used for Big Daddy Coul and Quadry: "they probably won't transfer because they'll have to sit," I told myself. Well, that didn't last long. The NCAA has made it nearly impossible for any staff to build for anything other than the following season. And the programs who are essentially poach-proof (Duke, Kentucky, Kansas) rebuild on a year-to-year basis with one-and-dones anyways.

That's the logic I used for Big Daddy Coul and Quadry: "they probably won't transfer because they'll have to sit," I told myself. Well, that didn't last long. The NCAA has made it nearly impossible for any staff to build for anything other than the following season. And the programs who are essentially poach-proof (Duke, Kentucky, Kansas) rebuild on a year-to-year basis with one-and-dones anyways.
One off the court issue with all the transfers it could really hurt overall interest from the casual fan. Especially for the non top tier P5s

They both transferred 'during covid' though- my understanding was any transfer in the 2021 off season was basically not going to count, and this new rule of sitting the second time was to be the rule moving forward, starting with this off season.

Maybe I'm wrong

Last edited:
Lengthy post. Thanks to those who read this. This is basically where I’m putting my stream of consciousness. Anyone who I’d try to say this to out loud would tell me I’m a lunatic (they’d be right).

As the dust settles, there are some things about the situation that don’t line up, leaving me confused. I’m sure in time we’ll hear rumblings of how things went down.

On one hand, all signs point to the guards we just signed being guys who can, want and expect to play immediately. That suggests maybe we didn’t expect anyone to come back. On the other hand, of all the rumors in the mill, none indicated none of the seniors were returning. The timing is puzzling from every angle, too.

I’m very disappointed that one of LB or Quadry didn’t stick. Between Rumpel and the 3 new guards, I understand the idea they felt overlooked, and that the staff didn’t intend to centerpiece them for the immediate future. And in today’s landscape, they can rebel against that by simply leaving. Still, it’s disappointing that the staff couldn’t convince one of them to grind their way into quality bench minutes.

Until recently, I was not expecting any of the 5 back. And I’m nowhere near the panic and implosion that’s already well under way on the banned wagon. I’m a little uneasy, though. The way things have so quickly rollercoastered over the last week has lit a gnawing feeling that we, and the majority of our peers, are on the precipice of having our ceiling lowered. If we’re about to enter a new phase where there is no rebuilding, only reloading, I’m iffy at best on our ability to keep the trajectory we’ve been on since 2016. Hope I’m wrong.

I’ve spent too much time thinking and posting about this shit lately. I need to take a page out of our friend X’s playbook, fuck off for a while, and enjoy the things in life that are ultimately more important than this.

Last edited:
I’ve spent too much time thinking and posting about this shit lately. I need to take a page out of our friend X’s playbook, fuck off for a while, and enjoy the things in life that are ultimately more important than this.
There are more important things but at the same time this is something we all live and die with because we're passionate about it. This new era of college athletics sucks ass. Our conference has been trending downwards, and we're looking at the imminent implosion of the recent success our program has put together. This shit matters and it's OK for it to matter. Without relatively major college BB our school is just another one of too many stupid expensive, small, private colleges in the northeast with not much more to offer than cool architecture, a fantastic landscape, and never-ending winters.

Lengthy post. Thanks to those who read this. This is basically where I’m putting my stream of consciousness. Anyone who I’d try to say this to out loud would tell me I’m a lunatic (they’d be right).

As the dust settles, there are some things about the situation that don’t line up, leaving me confused. I’m sure in time we’ll hear rumblings of how things went down.

On one hand, all signs point to the guards we just signed being guys who can, want and expect to play immediately. That suggests maybe we didn’t expect anyone to come back. On the other hand, of all the rumors in the mill, none indicated none of the seniors were returning. The timing is puzzling from every angle, too.

I’m very disappointed that one of LB or Quadry didn’t stick. Between Rumpel and the 3 new guards, I understand the idea they felt overlooked, and that the staff didn’t intend to centerpiece them for the immediate future. And in today’s landscape, they can rebel against that by simply leaving. Still, it’s disappointing that the staff couldn’t convince one of them to grind their way into quality bench minutes.

Until recently, I was not expecting any of the 5 back. And I’m nowhere near the panic and implosion that’s already well under way on the banned wagon. I’m a little uneasy, though. The way things have so quickly rollercoastered over the last week has lit a gnawing feeling that we, and the majority of our peers, are on the precipice of having our ceiling lowered. If we’re about to enter a new phase where there is no rebuilding, only reloading, I’m iffy at best on our ability to keep the trajectory we’ve been on since 2016. Hope I’m wrong.

One thing I'll say on the 5 seniors, I pretty sure Adaway has been clear since the season started that he wasnt comming back for his extra year of eligibility.
But the way things were shaping up early in the week with the Big 3 coming back and the transfers init looked like the roster was shapping up nicely for 2022-2023 and then youd have dome expirence players for the following year.
I struggle with the portal. On one hand normally a kid only gets 4 years to play so I understand transfering to a school where you are going to get playing time. Some players I think would benifit from the year they sit. I think Adams would have been one he really could have used that year to work on his offensive game. On the other hand players like Flowers (Old team dropping down to D2) and Banks(Coach left for another Job) should have the right to play right away if they wish since their situation changed beyond their control.
I think at the end of the day I think both coaches and atheletes have a duty to do whats right. What that is exactly is I guess depends on the situation. As much as love college hoops from November to April this is the dirty underbelly that really hasnt been public until now.
I guess that is my stream of consciousness.

I think things will shake out the way they always have. A10 is not a top conference, but it's still top 10-12, so kids will want to transfer in should they experience success at lower-level D1 programs.

SBU is never going to be in a position like Duke, Gonzaga or any school in a "power" conference, and yet we are still probably a top 100 program. Kids will want to come here because of this conference, our recent success and our fanbase.

While things will certainly be different, we are in a better position than 66% of D1 schools. Sure, from time to time we might lose our best player to transfer, but then we might take the best player on a team from a CAA or MAAC school.

As always, the only thing in CBB that really matters (besides conference affiliation) is the guy leading the ship. Mark Schmidt is not without fault, but he has proven consistently over the past decade plus that he can find great A10-caliber players.

The rebuild was either going to be this year or next. Might as well see how Schmidt assembles this team before we freak out. The first three transfers all appear solid. We likely need three more decent players to be a top half team next year. I'd like to see another guard, and two big men.

What sticks in my craw was the illusion that the big 3 were coming back and then to have them sweep the leg at the last minute. I would have been fine if they announced early like Adaway. Part of me figured when they walked off the floor at MSG that was it. The more we got through April the more I figured we had at them back and I think the staff thought that too. Quadry, Brown and AKC left because they knew they would not get PT with those guys around. Maybe they dont leave if they knew what was really going to happen? Then I read the story about Wong at Miami and it makes my blood boil. Its not going to get better. I guess I dont blame our guys for trying to cash in but I will blame them for how it was handled. Maybe I am just a spiteful asshole but I will find it hard to root for them if they up transfer now.

To BI85: I'm with you

To 3rd Shay: That is my buffer between myself and the ledge. At the end of the day, the number of available roster spots and minutes across D1 is the same. The path and strategy will change and adapt, but the idea that overlooked and undervalued guys landing in the right spot and biting the big boys will stay steady. On the other hand- I think we, more than other programs in the A10, rely on continuity. Can we have continuity in the new era? Can we win without it? I have doubts about both, even with Schmidt at the helm. If we turn over the roster every year at 75%, it isn't hard to see us sliding into 8th place/16-15, struggling to climb out.

To 03/Tobacco: I agree. Maybe they were on the fence the whole time, leaning toward jumping ship, and we dont sign Flowers, Luc, Banks without it. If that's the case, and the staff was aware, then all good. I don't really believe that's the case though. And I don't even blame them- at their age with the opportunity to make cash, get exposure, and use a bonus year after already getting a degree, , most 23 year olds would. Like you said, it's the way it was handled. It's the way the chatter grew to a dull roar that they'd be back. It's the way they are all posting each other's entry into the portal, as if it's a next big accomplishment and step, that makes it feel like they are celebrating leaving Bona's behind. I know a lot of this is oversensitivity, and I do believe their gratitude toward Bona's to be genuine. But it still comes off a certain way that leaves a sour taste. And, much like when they were mid-implosion in January, I hate the idea that a group who did so much for the program is exiting with a sour taste.

OK. Now I will fuck off for the summer.

They told the staff they were returning and blindsided them yesterday. This is a scummy move, and our Twitter fans can eat their own assholes with the whole “Thanks for everything! We’ll be rooting for you!” BULLSHIT. Fucking drones.
That is super disappointing to hear. I thought it very odd that the announcements were made so late in the process.

They told the staff they were returning and blindsided them yesterday. This is a scummy move, and our Twitter fans can eat their own assholes with the whole “Thanks for everything! We’ll be rooting for you!” BULLSHIT. Fucking drones.
With a few exemptions, fuck our twitter fans.

They really did say they were coming back?

I assumed KL, DW and OO would return, but I heard back in March that Adaway and Holmes weren't likely to return.

Knew it would have been hard to fit the three new guards into the mix plus Rumpel if KL and DW returned, but now it makes sense.

Kyle, Osun, and Dom? Yes. I am told they did. Our staff was operating under that assumption, and yesterday’s Pearl Harbor job blindsided them. Really shitty. Welcome to unregulated college athletics.

Back