Transfer Portal thread

The staff loves Evans, but isn’t sure if he’s physically ready for a full starter’s workload as a true freshman power forward. He’s going to play, but look for a one-year grad transfer PF in the portal. That’s by no means definite, but it’s preferred.

With this group, I’ll be stunned if Schmidt doesn’t employ a legitimate 9-man rotation.

The staff loves Evans, but isn’t sure if he’s physically ready for a full starter’s workload as a true freshman power forward. He’s going to play, but look for a one-year grad transfer PF in the portal. That’s by no means definite, but it’s preferred.

With this group, I’ll be stunned if Schmidt doesn’t employ a legitimate 9-man rotation.
Is it safe to assume we will have another transfer before May 1?

P.S. having a hard time seeing how BR, AM and JNT factor in for any type of minutes next year.

AM won’t play the 5 behind OO, correct?

Is it safe to assume we will have another transfer before May 1?

P.S. having a hard time seeing how BR, AM and JNT factor in for any type of minutes next year.

AM won’t play the 5 behind OO, correct?
Chad Venning, a 6’10” 280 lbs. transfer from Morgan State, visits this week. That might be your backup center.

Schmidt will play whoever earns it, and Rumpel is certainly capable of doing so. Other than the three seniors, assuming all return as (tentatively) expected, it will be a battle royal in practice. Nothing guaranteed.

It's "funny" because I opened this thread with a list of the guys -- in order -- who I thought would stay. So far the top three are now gone. On the one bright side, the last two deciding their fates are the most important for sustained success. I have no misgivings about how hard it will be for bonaventure to compete when football schools are waving around $500,000 checks. Sadly, that door is open and will likely never be closed.

edit: For the record I am by no means implying Dom is chasing a paycheck and for all we know he could test the waters and decide Bonaventure is the best place to play his final year.

Last edited:
FUCK

Something that I just read that was interesting. Players have until May 1 to enter the portal. Some out there are entering with the intent of just keeping the option open should something change with their current schools while they are going through the draft process. Perhaps Welch is doing that? I guess we will find out.

Last edited:
Another thing to consider: I asked in an earlier post, what's your recruitment strategy when you've got guys whos status for next year is up in the air? Seems obvious the staff has made the decision to recruit as if they might not be back.

Put yourself in Dom's shoes- in 5 days we've signed 3 guards who will be ready immediately, plus a RS guard coming into eligibility. If you're him- do you want guys nipping at your heels for PT after being a 4 year starter, maybe getting less court time in year 5 of 5 at the same A10 school? Or do you figure- if I'm going to have that added pressure, then let me try it at a big name school and get a taste of that world, and whatever additional exposure it offers?

ETA: this is entirely speculative

Last edited:
Reactions: res
I would assume entering the portal makes it official you can talk to other schools? Even though we all know there is shady stuff going on. I guess I don’t understand why they wouldn’t have done this earlier in the process? No reason for OO and Lofton not to get into the portal either, unless it truly is only NBA, overseas or Bonas for those 2. Nothing preventing Dom from coming back too I suppose.

I'd have to imagine Welch would see the overwhelming majority of minutes should he return, so I doubt he's worried about PT.

Maybe he does want to play at a higher level for a school that has a chance to make a real run in the NCAAs. I can't say I know much about NILs, but I doubt Holmes or Welch would fetch any big time deals, but what do I know.

Maybe he knows we have a slight rebuild on our hands and that we'd have a lot of roster turnover.

If Holmes can get the looks he is getting, Welch could get better offers, IMO.

No idea what to expect for next year, but there are likely other schools out there with more roster continuity coming off NCAA runs. We at best will have three guys with game-time experience under Schmidtty.

Not meant to be a knock against SBU or the program, but we might have some growing pains next year.

Maybe he knows we have a slight rebuild on our hands and that we'd have a lot of roster turnover.

If Holmes can get the looks he is getting, Welch could get better offers, IMO.

No idea what to expect for next year, but there are likely other schools out there with more roster continuity coming off NCAA runs. We at best will have three guys with game-time experience under Schmidtty.

Not meant to be a knock against SBU or the program, but we might have some growing pains next year.
I think if shoon comes back or Schmidt recruits a capable big guy to replace him, the team will be good. The new guys are the kind of seasoned recruits we’d be over the moon about just a few years ago.

As much as I would like everyone back and make another run at the NCAA's baybe its best for the seniors to move on. Take our medicine now and start to deveope the team for the future.
The portal has definetly made things crazy and it will probably be extra crazy untill the extra year COVID eligabilty year runs out in 3 years.

I know JNT, Mellouk, and Evans are all pretty tall but I would really like to see them add someone with some length from the portal, regardless of Osun's status. Seems like all of our transfers in so far are a bit undersized

You would have thought Coulibaly could have played the 4 and been Shoon's(if he returns) backup. too bad that ship has sailed

As much as I would like everyone back and make another run at the NCAA's baybe its best for the seniors to move on. Take our medicine now and start to deveope the team for the future.
The portal has definetly made things crazy and it will probably be extra crazy untill the extra year COVID eligabilty year runs out in 3 years.
There really is no developing teams for the future anymore. There is no program building. Staffs now need to put together the best roster for that season specifically and not worry about even two seasons down the road. I hate it, but that's the hand the NCAA had dealt everyone with the portal and NIL. The best potential team for next year obviously includes Lofton, Welch, and Osun.

There really is no developing teams for the future anymore. There is no program building. Staffs now need to put together the best roster for that season specifically and not worry about even two seasons down the road. I hate it, but that's the hand the NCAA had dealt everyone with the portal and NIL. The best potential team for next year obviously includes Lofton, Welch, and Osun.
Going forward that sucks for a Schmidts system where most new players seem to have at least a half year learning curve.

To an extent. I believe you can only transfer once without penalty, right? So in theory, Flowers, Luc, Banks are all here for 23/24 (unless they go pro) because they wouldnt want to sit ? If that's the case it allows you to build to the future to the extent that you fill a core with transfers?

Back