Transfer Portal thread

I am trying my best to not give a shit about basketball, but I can't help being excited about this pick-up. Since I was a man without a country as far as the NCAA tourney was concerned, watching this kid's performance was my sole post-season joy aside from the Bona NIT run. It will be fun watching him in a Bona uniform.

Portal giveth, and portal taketh away. I’m grateful for the portal allowing instant adds like Flowers and Banks. It sucks though that it’s effectively turned blossoming potential over 3-4 years into a relic.

Hard to blame Quadry. With the 2 mentioned above, + Rumpel, he probably was looking at minimal to no gain in PT. If Lofton and Dom ultimately come back, he’s probably looking at next to no time at all. Best of luck to him. Seemed like a great teammate, hard worker and a ball of positive energy.

I'm very disappointed to see Quadry go. I think he had player written all over him. But you can't blame a kid for leaving when a staff is recruiting (signing FA's) over your position, and it's clear that he's on a team where you either make the starting 5 or play spot minutes.

What was eye opening to me was in CEM's article, he said that Quadry played a role in recruiting Banks:

"While Bonaventure associate head coach Steve Curran took the lead in Banks’s recruitment, the program’s New Jersey ties also played a role. Banks and Quadry Adams, who hadn’t known each other previously, worked out together during their spring break two weeks ago. Adams told Banks about how much he was enjoying his Bonaventure experience, posting a short clip of his recruitment efforts to Instagram. Banks also spent time with star senior Kyle Lofton on his visit. Lofton told his fellow Jerseyan that his four years at Bonaventure have been the “best years of his life.”"

What was eye opening to me was in CEM's article, he said that Quadry played a role in recruiting Banks:

"While Bonaventure associate head coach Steve Curran took the lead in Banks’s recruitment, the program’s New Jersey ties also played a role. Banks and Quadry Adams, who hadn’t known each other previously, worked out together during their spring break two weeks ago. Adams told Banks about how much he was enjoying his Bonaventure experience, posting a short clip of his recruitment efforts to Instagram. Banks also spent time with star senior Kyle Lofton on his visit. Lofton told his fellow Jerseyan that his four years at Bonaventure have been the “best years of his life.”"

I'm very disappointed to see Quadry go. I think he had player written all over him. But you can't blame a kid for leaving when a staff is recruiting (signing FA's) over your position, and it's clear that he's on a team where you either make the starting 5 or play spot minutes.
Quadry was a solid player, but I'm not sure we would have been in great shape with him playing major minutes night in and night out. He was incredibly athletic and quick, but it's hard to win with a guard that won't or can't shoot it from deep.

He didn't seem like a true PG and obviously didn't shoot it well enough to merit time at the 2. How would they have used him next season? Just didn't seem like a good fit for our team unless he was OK play 10-15 MPG.

There's enough guys out there that play good enough defense that can actually score the ball, so I doubt he would have seen an increase in minutes in 2022-2023. I think QA will land at a good IVY/PL program and be a solid contributor in a reserve role.

With Holmes and Adaway moving on, this team desperately needs scoring and it shows the staff feels the same way with the type of players visiting campus this spring.

Duro does not look good in a Bona uniform. I wonder how much of him leaving is the staff suggesting he leave or him? Seems like he had an opportunity to get some minutes this year.

We have Sy Chatman visiting from Illinois State if I’m not mistaken, plus Chad Venming from Morgan State. Plus, maybe Shoon.

Do we really need any more guards, assuming Lofton & Welch return? If we sign another guard, I have to imagine one of them plans on going pro, but it seems unlikely to me.

Lofton, Welch, Rumpel, Flowers and Banks. Why would another guard commit here? Minutes will be hard to come by for any additional guard even if Welch plays extended minutes at the 4.

This is my uneducated breakdown on the starting 5 next year:

PG - Lofton 38 MPG / Rumpel 2 MPG
G - Flowers 30 MPG / Banks 6 MPG / Rumpel 4
G - Banks 20 MPG / Welch 20
G/F - JNT - 15 / Welch 15 / Evans 10
C- OO - 32 / AM 8

Just looking at the above, it seems like we might lose one more player. My guess would be JNT, but who knows.

Do we really need any more guards, assuming Lofton & Welch return? If we sign another guard, I have to imagine one of them plans on going pro, but it seems unlikely to me.

Lofton, Welch, Rumpel, Flowers and Banks. Why would another guard commit here? Minutes will be hard to come by for any additional guard even if Welch plays extended minutes at the 4.

This is my uneducated breakdown on the starting 5 next year:

PG - Lofton 38 MPG / Rumpel 2 MPG
G - Flowers 30 MPG / Banks 6 MPG / Rumpel 4
G - Banks 20 MPG / Welch 20
G/F - JNT - 15 / Welch 15 / Evans 10
C- OO - 32 / AM 8

Just looking at the above, it seems like we might lose one more player. My guess would be JNT, but who knows.
Luc is a solid pickup that still fits even if Dom and Kyle come back. Established D1 success, 3 years eligibility, and the chance to take the keys in 2 years after backing up and learning this year. Or, he’s got the PG spot in his sights this year if Lofton doesn’t return. Either way. This is one more guard that I’m happy to welcome.

Luc is a solid pickup that still fits even if Dom and Kyle come back. Established D1 success, 3 years eligibility, and the chance to take the keys in 2 years after backing up and learning this year. Or, he’s got the PG spot in his sights this year if Lofton doesn’t return. Either way. This is one more guard that I’m happy to welcome.

From the limited footage I've seen from Luc, he looks like a guy that should be out there 25-30 minutes a night.

SBU is a great program and school, but do you really think he is so desperate to join SBU that he will ride the pine (basically) for a year before taking over for Lofton?

I have no issues with any of the guys we brought in, but knowing both Lofton and Welch will get 35+ minutes a night means someone is getting left out in the cold.

It's a fair point, but I have to imagine he was aware upon making his decision that the PG spot isn't necessarily open next year. Banks' comments in CEM's article indicate the staff isn't shying away from letting recruits know there may be 3 5th year starters coming back.

Maybe it's foolish, but I also have to keep some faith that if we actually have guys 6-8 in the rotation capable of high level contributions at 15-20 a night, we're more likely to play more of a true rotation vs the iron 5 bullshit. I think simply not having the horses to do that each of the last 2 years was much more the issue than was outright neglecting to play a rotation.

Plenty to speculate on. At this point I'm putting faith in the results and trajectory over the last 7 seasons continuing forward.

It's a fair point, but I have to imagine he was aware upon making his decision that the PG spot isn't necessarily open next year. Banks' comments in CEM's article indicate the staff isn't shying away from letting recruits know there may be 3 5th year starters coming back.

Maybe it's foolish, but I also have to keep some faith that if we actually have guys 6-8 in the rotation capable of high level contributions at 15-20 a night, we're more likely to play more of a true rotation vs the iron 5 bullshit. I think simply not having the horses to do that each of the last 2 years was much more the issue than was outright neglecting to play a rotation.

Plenty to speculate on. At this point I'm putting faith in the results and trajectory over the last 7 seasons continuing forward.
No doubt about it.

I’m not trying to question Marky Mark or imply this team can’t be good, I was just surprised at the staff has been so in on so many guards.

Like the past two years, there’s so many guys that on paper look really good, but there’s only so many minutes to go around.

Maybe it’ll be like 2014 and Welch will take on a Conger role that would have him play major minutes at the 4, but the staff seems to like Evans and is on some bigs so that seems unlikely.

I like these debates, but it’s early and who knows if Evans, JNT or a player to be named later is good enough to cut it at Bona.

Back