Transfer Portal thread

I hope Osun, Dom and Kyle stay. Would be great to stay competitive while letting some of the fresh blood actually see some action and build for the future.

Frankly, I'm not happy Holmes is sticking around. According to Kenpom he has steadily and precipitously declined for the past two years in many offensive and defensive categories while his minutes have gone up (maybe because of?). I know people have crapped on the dude a lot but digging into the numbers, it's wild how much worse he is compared to his first season on the team and how in the face of all those negatives his minutes have increased at the cost of developing players that probably couldn't have done much worse. Would hate to see Rumpel or Adams (or anyone) leave because Schmidt is going to ride his main man out there 39 minutes per game.

I know someone will come on here and accuse me of being mean or cherry picking so here's his Kenpom stats. The one significant area where he improved this season was his FT%. Good lord.

1649274666944.png

Last edited:
Holmes is a good player… he just doesn’t need to play 38 mpg. I’d happily welcome him (and the others) back. Extend success as long as possible. Keep the school’s name among the top of the A10 as long as possible. That matters.

If we could just limit starters to a cap of 33-35 mpg (max), it would open up meaningful time for younger developmental players. It’s frustrating because you can mix and match positions now more than ever.

Holmes is a good player… he just doesn’t need to play 38 mpg. I’d happily welcome him (and the others) back. Extend success as long as possible. Keep the school’s name among the top of the A10 as long as possible. That matters.

If we could just limit starters to a cap of 33-35 mpg (max), it would open up meaningful time for younger developmental players. It’s frustrating because you can mix and match positions now more than ever.
This is exactly my point and perhaps the numbers bear it out that playing 38 mpg is simply not good for him or the team. He was at his best playing 25 mpg. Unfortunately, I think we know what will happen -- Schmidt will, perhaps in spite of the numbers or pleading from fans, keep him on the court no matter what, even at the cost of developing younger recruits. On any other team and with any other coach I'd be ecstatic to have a guy like Holmes back.

Holmes definitely slumped most of the season for reasons unknown. He seemed to have found his groove in the NIT and was the player we typically had previously. I agree with you guys though, if he comes back give him 25-30 min and get Rumpel, Adams and whoever else some time. Amazingly we never had guys in foul trouble or much injury. For the amount of turnovers they forced, charges taken and block made...very few fouls.

Is this a Bandwagon thread? You guys do realize that college basketball has changed forever? With the transfer portal you must go on a year to year basis. There is no "building" for the future. The future is going to be now every year. With that being said, I hope all four return and we pick up a couple of decent players in the portal.

I love when 87 pops up with teases of information. Good things usually happen after. Saw this on my timeline courtesy of CEM:

Could be our Lofton insurance

A lot of guys are making their decisions in the coming weeks, how much does it hurt that we have four starting spots in limbo? If I'm a prospective D1 student athlete, Bonaventure is probably the last school I'd play at while the four seniors are still potentially in play...

A lot of guys are making their decisions in the coming weeks, how much does it hurt that we have four starting spots in limbo? If I'm a prospective D1 student athlete, Bonaventure is probably the last school I'd play at while the four seniors are still potentially in play...
Last?

OK, maybe not some bottom-feeder SWAC school but if you're a guy with multiple offers it's gotta play a big role. The reason I'm asking is because unfurled and CEM have been re-tweeting all these transfer guys who list bonaventure as one of their final choices and who look good on paper. Best case scenario is all seniors return but while they're making their decision I would hate to miss out on an impact player who decides he'd rather go anywhere else than risk spending the year on the bench.

OK, maybe not some bottom-feeder SWAC school but if you're a guy with multiple offers it's gotta play a big role. The reason I'm asking is because unfurled and CEM have been re-tweeting all these transfer guys who list bonaventure as one of their final choices and who look good on paper. Best case scenario is all seniors return but while they're making their decision I would hate to miss out on an impact player who decides he'd rather go anywhere else than risk spending the year on the bench.
Perhaps the staff knows who is/isn’t returning—even if the players have not publicly announced?

I'm going to try keeping this up to date as much as possible. Hopefully we get a couple commitments in the coming weeks and the staff can shift its focus to 2023 and beyond. I think we'll have another answer on at least one of the three seniors by the weekend as well.

I'm going to try keeping this up to date as much as possible. Hopefully we get a couple commitments in the coming weeks and the staff can shift its focus to 2023 and beyond. I think we'll have another answer on at least one of the three seniors by the weekend as well.

This is awesome, thanks for posting it.

Back