Tim Kenney Out as Bona AD

At first glance, I am surprised by this. I like TK and what he’s done. I have not been paying attention to what has been going on in regards to the AD, is this a surprise to anyone else?

Very odd. Seemed to be liked by the students, alums and Schmidt. Hopefully it's not a money thing...

This is a big surprise for
At first glance, I am surprised by this. I like TK and what he’s done. I have not been paying attention to what has been going on in regards to the AD, is this a surprise to anyone else?

Definitely a surprise. Outside of a few hollow comments I've seen in the realm of "everyone's tightening their belts", it was a surprise to most. From what I've heard, this includes the majority of the people on campus. I've also heard this was a Bona decision, i.e. board of trustees. Making it even less likely it's a money thing. Has to be something else.

Not idea what that something else is, but I'll shamelessly listen to any rumors I hear.

I enjoyed TK personally, but when was the last time a team other than Mens Basketball competitive? As the AD you are responsible for all the programs (duh!) and the only one doing well is the one that was already on track when TK was brought in.

I'm of two minds about the addition of LAX, it was cool that in year 3 they improved quite a bit, but at what cost? Is LAX or whatever program you want to pick on becoming a money pit under TK? If it was a money situation, are the trustees being tight knowing they have to go hire a new president and that is going to come with considerable cost? I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that only people in the room know for sure.

I enjoyed TK personally, but when was the last time a team other than Mens Basketball competitive? As the AD you are responsible for all the programs (duh!) and the only one doing well is the one that was already on track when TK was brought in.

I'm of two minds about the addition of LAX, it was cool that in year 3 they improved quite a bit, but at what cost? Is LAX or whatever program you want to pick on becoming a money pit under TK? If it was a money situation, are the trustees being tight knowing they have to go hire a new president and that is going to come with considerable cost? I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that only people in the room know for sure.
Good point, Jive. Even though we are not consistently competitive in most sport outside of MBB, a few programs have fallen on hard times recently.

WBB and WSOC are both putrid right now and TK did hire Crowley's replacement. Still seems like a stretch to fire Kenney unless LAX is that big of a financial drain.

The question I have with LAX is what was the reason it was added? Was it to attract students? If I remeber correctly Bonas dumped D1 LAX back in the early 90s, Woman's LAX was added to replace Womans's Volleyball which was axed in the mid 90's. But I would imagine adding LAX wasn'ant done in a vaccum, I would imagine the board had to know about it.
But all this being said over the last year many schools have been terminating the "olympic sports" programs. This includes both Power 5 schools and peers like LaSalle(Baseball) and Robert Morris(Hockey).

Lax is a very good enrollment-driving sport. Players tend to come from more affluent families, so it’s probably a good long term investment. Some schools are adding water polo for the same reason.

With Kenney, I think some info will trickle out. So far, I’ve heard it was a “death by a thousand cuts” situation.

Lax is a very good enrollment-driving sport. Players tend to come from more affluent families, so it’s probably a good long term investment. Some schools are adding water polo for the same reason.

With Kenney, I think some info will trickle out. So far, I’ve heard it was a “death by a thousand cuts” situation.
Thsanks for the explianation about LAX. Ibelieve during the Monmouth LAX game I saw an add that included water polo and thought that was strange but with you explaination it makes more sense now. Also that may be an intersting sport to add if Bonas gets to that point in the future.

Lax to me was a slam dunk. The surrounding area has a lot of talent and we found that in 3 years we put together a program going in the right direction. It could be the next most successful sport after basketball. Although swimming and diving has always been pretty good.

I could be completely off bringing LAX into the conversation. It was just always presented to me as TK's project.

Back