The Charleston Thread

Yeah we're on the same page, or as they say at work 'we're aligned'.

I'm speaking strictly from the standpoint of, beating bigger, deeper and more athletic teams like Clemson=need to throw fresh looks and fresh legs at them. I think by the time we get to late non-conf play we'll be in a different place with combinations. Sometimes, guys are baptized by fire in those games.

The Bona faithful did a terrific job of boosting the team and getting some national credibility. It should be interesting to compare the fan enthusiasm with Clemson today. We'll need to figure out a way to lock down Nick Honor. We faced him a couple of times in 2019 when he debuted at Fordham. He burned us the first time but not so the second time around. Whatever we did then would be a good thing to review. Today will be another important milestone in this journey.

The Bona faithful did a terrific job of boosting the team and getting some national credibility. It should be interesting to compare the fan enthusiasm with Clemson today. We'll need to figure out a way to lock down Nick Honor. We faced him a couple of times in 2019 when he debuted at Fordham. He burned us the first time but not so the second time around. Whatever we did then would be a good thing to review. Today will be another important milestone in this journey.
I could see Adams getting more minutes today as a stopper to Honor if it comes to that. At least there should be no surprises with him since the staff has seen him before. It will be very interesting to see Clemson's support today with having a home football game tomorrow. Our crowd will be louder even if they are outnumbered.

I think we ran Honor off the 3pt line in the second game and made him shoot over Osun/LDG. Something we could try to do again today. My only concern is Clemson has a lot more "dudes" that he could pass to on a drive and kick than Fordham did.

Clemson being one of the best 3pt shooting teams in the country has to stop eventually. Their starters are all career 35% or less 3pt shooters and are shooting 50%+ on the season. Not that they are going to become bad shooters overnight but some mean regression would be nice.

We saw regression with Boise yesterday in the wrong direction so hopefully today we see it in a better direction for Clemson

We will need them to be off their shooting game. One hallmark of our man-to-man defense is losing open shooters. Zone?

We will need them to be off their shooting game. One hallmark of our man-to-man defense is losing open shooters. Zone?
Schmidt played a bit of zone yesterday too. Boise was just hot in the 1st half (although we left a lot of open looks). I thought the man to man D was better against the perimeter but I could be wrong. It seemed like more of the open shots came from guys leaving someone to double on the baseline. Regardless, I agree if Clemson shoots it like they did yesterday it will be trouble

Is it ok to be shit-faced before Happy Hour even starts?

You guys down there should be burning Charleston to the ground this weekend

I am still trying to process all this. Not ready to think about Sunday yet, except to opine that it seems to be shaping up as an event that will be long celebrated. There is a will to win on this team that's the hallmark of champions.

Team Rankings has Bona as the favorite over Marquette as do most betting lines. Team gives us a 62%-win probability and Kenpom says 66%. However, there are some interesting details in the various rating strata tracked by TeamRankings: Bonnies are #12 in the nation on a neutral court and #17 vs. a 51-100 ranked team, which describes the Golden Eagles. Of course, we suck in the first half at #265 but are #5 ranked in second half performance. Marquette, on the other hand, is #5 on a neutral court and ranked #4 in second half performance. This suggests that this game may start slow, but it will be a barnburner in the final 20 minutes. As a contrarian, I am tempted to say that the opposite will happen, but I am hoping our Bonnies will reward anyone who bets on them and gives the 4.5 points.

Yes, I have seen negative comments on Shaka from neutral observers. I respected him prior to the entitled prom girl hissy fit. I guess it was a stressful situation to see his team so badly outclassed. On the flip side, the more I see of Schmidt the more I admire him. However, it looks like he's got a big job ahead with our bench. One minute and 47 seconds was enough time to see the margin shrink by 11 points. You'd think Shaka would be kissing Schmidt for the timeout.

I'm not gonna worry too much about the last 2 minutes of the game. Coming in cold with a 23 point lead, after sitting basically the entire game (i think Brown came in so he had played), when the game is already over and you're mentally already celebrating. And the other team just starts playing over the top aggressive to score some empty buckets isn't really representative of anything. Hopefully the next few games against some weaker comp (especially Coppin State and Loyola MD) give some players an opportunity to prove something

I'm not gonna worry too much about the last 2 minutes of the game. Coming in cold with a 23 point lead, after sitting basically the entire game (i think Brown came in so he had played), when the game is already over and you're mentally already celebrating. And the other team just starts playing over the top aggressive to score some empty buckets isn't really representative of anything. Hopefully the next few games against some weaker comp (especially Coppin State and Loyola MD) give some players an opportunity to prove something
Yea I agree. You have a borderline top 25 team pressing the jv squad and getting steals. Not really worried there. That group will never be on the floor together in a meaningful situation until next year at the earliest.

Back