The Charleston Thread

Bonafanatic

Figured it made more sense to just make one thread. I’ll be down there loud and drunk for five straight days!

Any boise recon? What does that nerd kenpom say?

I don't subscribe, but from looking at his public numbers it looks something like Bona -2.5.

Keep in mind, the "nerd" Pomeroy doesn't put too much emphasis on his predictive value this early in the season.

My 5 minutes of box score research, and one Boise preview, makes it seem as if they are a slower, less athletic but overall still very solid and dangerous version of us. We have the edge in experience with our starting five. Adaway could stretch their 4 and create a bit of a mismatch, but on the flipside we will have a lot of work to do on mismatches of our own on defense if Shoon cant go. Their aforementioned 4 is 6'7" with a thick bodied 6'10" center. A healthy-ish shoon would be a dream matchup for us against this type of center if he can go, even if only in bursts.

As much as Sunday felt like one of those dirty wins that bothers you, I feel a sense of calm about them coming to play in 2 days. This tournament has been on the books since May of 2020. I really think they are going to come in focused and ready.

Unrelated note, Marquette taking down Illinois just bolstered the other side of this bracket and this tournament as a whole. Thanks, Shaka!

Drink some for me, Bill and Fanatic.

This field is quietly very good. You read about the other MTE's and they get a lot of attention but this one only has a couple bogeys (Temple and Elon) and as long as we beat Boise St, we wont see either of them. Boise St is huge because a win there and we get 2 more good teams to play. A loss and its Temple and then Ole Miss/Marquette.

Marquette just made the field deeper with a nice win last night. Ole Miss and Clemson are challenging for the NCAAT so this wont be an easy one, especially since we dont know about Shoon. With a healthy Shoon I love our chances. Without him I think we take a loss and just hope its the 2nd or 3rd game.

I do subscribe to Kenpom and he has the Bonnies as 5-point favorites. He has left it the same for quite a while. Boise seems to have had some difficulty getting traction this year, but I am sure the team will be reminded of how they punked us down in the Virgin Islands in 2018. Sounds risque but it surely wasn't fun. The only members of the present team who saw action were Lofton and Osun. Welch, Griffin, and Stockard did not play, so we were badly outmanned. Kenpom ranks them #73, so this will be a good test.

I like that we're playing the Broncos first. They're beatable but not a total flop like the two teams they've played so far. It will prepare the squad for a bigtime challenge 24 hours later assuming they can win. Speaking of which, this game is probably the most important of the tournament for the team. A loss will likely boot them from the top 25 regardless of how they finish up and will also put them in line for significantly worse opponents throughout (although still pretty good other than Elon).

On a personal level, I was at that horrendous Cayman Islands tournament and would very much like to return the favor.

I like that we're playing the Broncos first. They're beatable but not a total flop like the two teams they've played so far. It will prepare the squad for a bigtime challenge 24 hours later assuming they can win. Speaking of which, this game is probably the most important of the tournament for the team. A loss will likely boot them from the top 25 regardless of how they finish up and will also put them in line for significantly worse opponents throughout (although still pretty good other than Elon).

On a personal level, I was at that horrendous Cayman Islands tournament and would very much like to return the favor.
Oh yes, it was the Caymans. We've come a long way from those days.

Anyone have a link to the Charleston police blotter? I figure someone is going to have to bail Bill Russell out at least once before Sunday evening, and I'm volunteering to handle the arrangements.

I do subscribe to Kenpom and he has the Bonnies as 5-point favorites.
Right you are, X. Simple arithmetic failed me. I subtracted BSU's +10 per 100 possessions from Bona's +17 and somehow came up with 4, not 7. Five points it is. That translates into roughly a 70% chance of a win, pretty much how ESPN's BPI has it.

1637114115791.png
Both teams struggling to find the touch from deep. Whichever team figures that out first will take it. I like us to come out of that slump and come out focused on defense in front of what should be, by all means, a home crowd.

Huge game for SOS and partying implications.

I believe we can predict with some confidence that this will be the game BSU's 3 point shooting heats up, right? So, our guys are going to have to offset that with sticky defense and their own good shooting.

I assume Lofton and Shoon will remember Cayman as well as I, and several others, do. I believe I saw Kyle was hyped as soon as he saw the opening opponent. I'm about to start the final leg of a long journey and should be in Charleston by mid-afternoon, so let's get this going.

Schmidt did a great job adjusting and getting Welch on Akot. I dont think he scored after that and he was all Boise had today. Huge win, sets us up to play some good teams this weekend and should not take on a bad loss as a result.

Was glad to see Shoon get through the game but when he got hit on that screen I thought he was done. I know he has to be hurting so to see him put up the line he did is impressive.

Good win. I'm still baffled why other teams figure out how to make it hard for Welch or Lofton to shoot 3s but we make every damn shooter look like Reggie Miller. So many open 3s and honestly we were fortunate on a few that didn't fall. That has been a Schmidt staple for almost 15 years. Linton Brown canned a 3 and never got another look. Pick up the shooter(s)!

Onward and upward hopefully. Better than Canisius game that's for sure against a much better opponent. Take Winns but it's time to gel, this tournament is a once in a college career opportunity.

Solid win. Considering the still brutal start from 3, Akot's literal career day, and the 12 point lead turning into a 5 point deficit, it's hard not to be pleased. Boise is solid, and with the injuries to VCU and SLU, probably a good representation of some of the toughest tests we'll see in conference play.

I agree with BI85, but it's one of those Schmidt things that's part of the deal with him. He tightens and doubles inside, and asks you to beat him from 3. Speaking of part of the deal with Schmidt, as it relates to Brown- hard to get open looks when you're not out there. I thought Brown looked more comfortable than he has so far. I was happy to see him launch a couple of 3's. I think we're going to need more from the bench to win tomorrow. We'll need to stay fresh and throw different looks at them.

Edit to add: Adaway is just the man. 10/5/3 with you hardly noticing it, including a couple clutch buckets. Did a great job with Kagbib who smells like a matchup problem for a lot of A-10 level teams.

Last edited:
I just checked the BW game-day thread for shits and giggles, and neither shat my pants nor giggled. Thank GOD this board does not ruminate per possession on game day. Many posts age like spoilt milk.

ETA: CB3PT, I agree we need more bench. Early on bench did not hurt us. But there are some combinations that are still WIP. Defensively the top rotation is the starting 5. But we have to throw multiple looks.

Another thought to temper expectations early but not long term. People underestimate how hard it is to replace positions 6-13 on the roster despite the starting 5 returning. This isn't hit the ground running material.

Back