The Bonnies: 2022-2023 Season Thread

As for Flowers I think his numbers are definetlly a product of playing in the America East. Just look at Coulibaly's numbers at UMASS Lowell.
I think that's hard to say for certain.

We have players from the MAAC, Patriot and NEC. I'm not sure there is a ton of difference between competition levels in those conferences. I think for Flowers, it's hard going from being a starter and playing 30 minutes a night to being the second or third guy off the bench playing four of five minutes a half.

Coming into the year, he had the most impressive and efficient numbers of any transfer. Unfortunately, he got hurt to start the season and has been on the backburner since.

This team fucking sucks. I'm beyond checked out on them and given the lack of anything here it sounds like everyone else is too.

This team fucking sucks. I'm beyond checked out on them and given the lack of anything here it sounds like everyone else is too.
Yeah. I’m totally demoralized by this team. The AAU pickup ball offense has beaten me into a state of exasperation… and that goes without ranting about the rigid positional classifications for most of our guys.

I'm starting to sour a bit on Luc, but it's not really his fault. He is a decent player, but he's reminding more of an Eric Mosley type player than Marques Green.

They are in a major rut without a doubt, but we've seen most of our roster do some encouraging things. Unfortunately, that happened against extremely weak team.

Not much will likely change with Banks's playing time, but why should Evans get more minutes at this point? For a team that is one of the worst in the country at scoring the ball, Evans has not looked all that aggressive lately when on offense.

Should he be getting more than 10 minutes a night? Yes, but I'm fine with him not coming close to 30 MPG at this point.

By game #13, I would expect at least one player to move towards the rim when your center is backing into the basket. One would also expect guards to not telegraph passes directly to the opposition. How about help D on the opposite side of a double down low? Execute a fast break. It all feels like a Christmas wish list right now.

Look, this season is all about Brooklyn. Record doesn't matter. For that reason, distribute minutes. I'd love to see Barry and Yann on the floor, together, a lot. Can we see Hill down low for some significant minutes? Can we learn a nice, simple, offensive set that results in Banks playing catch and shoot, which is when he's at his best. An inside-out game? When the ball is passed to you inside the arc, you are not the ordained shooter, you don't have to take the shot, find someone else if it feels like you will (a) turn it over, (b) get blocked, or (c) just plain miss.

Everything needs to get better, from the HC on down.

There is no reason evans shouldn't be playing more. He's active on d and can get offensive rebounds and putbacks. He gets a lot of steals and deflects passes. His offense will come. It's nice to see him active on the bench cheering on the team so we can assume he isn't disgruntled.

Bi summed up things pretty well. It's easy to blame the coach but have qe ever seen an offense this stale in the time he's been here? Maybe his very early teams. I want to be patient but the fact they played better in November than December is really concerning.

Did you guys all quit on the team or what?

It was an entertaining game last night. I cannot speak to the interior decorations though, I didn’t really pay attention to that

Lets get this board going again. The level of play the last week is exactly what we expected. I dont know what the hell they were doing for the month of December but the switch appears to be flipped. St Louis will be a tough game and we know how these guys do on the road so I am really interested to see if they can keep this up. Either way, this conference is such a mess. After 1 week of play there are only 2 undefeated teams (Bonas, Dayton). Dayton might be able to send Juan Bid packing if they can keep it up.

Ok I’m in. This team lost to Caneatshits and goes out and beats umass and mason (both should finish top half). Bizarre.

Thatch being out sucks but even so I’m assuming he get thumped tomorrow. They win @ SLU this team will have completely won me over. After loses to Canisius and Buffalo don’t think I would have ever said that.

Bondabuns is intrigued and would love Keith’s take. . .was that his name?

Without a doubt the tram has played better these last 2 games. One thing that was bad vs GMU and killed the Bonnies vs teams like UNI and Siena and others is leaving guys wide open in corner, or on the 3 pt line in general. This has to improve.

Team has been good at home and bad on the road. They need to show up away from the RC before I believe. SLU hasn't shot it well most the year but they are feasting on the offensive glass. To stay in it Saturday we will need Farell and Evans to crash the glass hard. I hope we play some more zone as it has frustrated SLU in the past.

I think 11 wins could land us the double bye so that means protecting the RC while picking up 2-3 games on the road depending on if we can beat Dayton at home. Wins at URI, Loyola, and Fordham could get it done and all those teams are outside the top 180 of Kenpom. If it ends up taking 12 wins to get the double bye I wouldnt be surprised if the Umass game to end the season is a winner gets the double bye loser is 5th.

Well that was ugly Saturday. Outside of Venning and Flowers, there was nothing good. For whatever reason these guys are just terrible on the road. That will have to improve obviously and if they cant get it done at Rhody then where can they?

This is the worst Rhody team in a decade. Traditionally we play terribly there. I would really like to see progression here.

As far as the season goes, we're at the halfway point. I suppose the overall view is around where I expected. I feel no less sure though about the future of this core as it is. There are several areas in which I wonder if we're still waiting for true potential to show, or if we're discovering we may be more limited than we hoped.

Unfortunate reality of today's landscape is you already need to be considering that at this point, even with a brand new team. Second half of the year will tell us a lot.

This is the worst Rhody team in a decade. Traditionally we play terribly there. I would really like to see progression here.

As far as the season goes, we're at the halfway point. I suppose the overall view is around where I expected. I feel no less sure though about the future of this core as it is. There are several areas in which I wonder if we're still waiting for true potential to show, or if we're discovering we may be more limited than we hoped.

Unfortunate reality of today's landscape is you already need to be considering that at this point, even with a brand new team. Second half of the year will tell us a lot.

Plus the light blue colors they use! ugh! did they even consider how they clash with the hard finishes on the court?

Huge game tonight. If this team isn't going to win on the road we need to hold home court. KP has it as a one point game.

Duq lives and dies at the 3pt line if Brewer or DD get the normal RC boost we could be in trouble. On the plus side Duq has become SLU at the free throw line so our propensity to foul might not hurt us as bad as some games.

Duq is like us and only has one road win on the season, that was last game at Hawk Hill, so not the most impressive team outside of the Burgh.

Until these guys prove they can win on the road, every home game feels like a must win. Duq has had a nice turnaround this year for sure but if our guys play to their ability, it should be a Winn.

Interesting that Vegas has us as 1.5 dogs given our home court record and their road record.

A couple concerns from last night.

8 missed free throws opened the door for Duq to comeback
Difficulty against pressure defense - Duq was in desperation mode but we got sped up by the pressure and didn't really run an offense for several minutes
Pick and roll defense. During the comeback Duq was getting a solid screen on Luc and the ball handler drifted to the other sideline rather than attacking Venning. Venning had to stay with the ball and extended beyond the 3pt line until Luc fought back to his man. While this was happening Venning's man was getting a pick to open up the roll to the basket. Duq got an uncontested layup off this action and a wide open 3 when Banks dropped to cover the roller.

Now for the biggest challenge of the season, winning on the road against a sub 240 KP team.

They had their usual lull last night but luckily had a large enough lead to not be the end all. Schmidt even alluded to it post game so its not lost on the staff. I never felt the game was in danger at least but I saw the same things Jive pointed out. They usually shoot better from the line so missing 8 is not a big concern. On to Loyola. For the love of God can we pick up a road win?

Back