The Bonnies: 2022-2023 Season Thread

I mean tile floors and those gaudy curtains in the Murphy Building…

And when is the last time they cleaned the carpets in the Friedsam Library? Ughh am I right guys?

Was a nice basketball game tonight but I can’t help but think about the outdated crown moulding in Doyle Hall… ugh

Just in case people haven't listened or seen this yet. Lot's of good nuggets on the recruiting and development of all 4 of our big men and the challenges of recuriting last season after everyone left.

Could be some of both, 03. There's no doubt that after they got torched by CC they've defended the perimeter much better. Way fewer instances of chasing eventual screens where a guy is shooting a 22' free throw.

I think this years team has much better length at the 3 and the 4 to defend the 3 than laster years team. Also our 3 point D sucks when other teams penetrate and everyone gets sucked in. I think last years team really allowed this to happen. With Flowers and Rumple back and legit bench options this year, plus some quicker players maybe that cuts down on penetration
This years CC game was a cluster fuck. Nobody on the team fought through or went over a screen. Once a pick was set it was like our players said " this is hard, go a head shoot". But that was everyones 2nd real game together.
Also Hill played 35 minutes that game and he really struggles to get out to the 3 point line on D. I chalk this up to Hill learning a new postion and expect it to get better the more games and practices he has under his belt.

Barry the Bonnie blocking that 3 down the stretch Wednesday night is a great example of how they are getting out to the shooters more

Barry the Bonnie blocking that 3 down the stretch Wednesday night is a great example of how they are getting out to the shooters more
Barry and Yann make a pretty huge difference on defense. Their length and mobility really disrupt the wings and interior passing lanes. Once they truly grasp their assignments, it could be pretty suffocating.

Barry and Yann make a pretty huge difference on defense. Their length and mobility really disrupt the wings and interior passing lanes. Once they truly grasp their assignments, it could be pretty suffocating.
That seems like the one obvious difference between last year's club and this one.

We are definitely more athletic and have a lot more length. Last year's game at Dayton and the tourney game against LSU just showed how much of a mismatch it was when we played against teams with size and athleticism.

Add in the fact last year's team couldn't shoot it from deep at all and you get the year you got.

Some season thoughts

• First half last night was brutal, but the first 7-8 mins of the second was a flash of potential. As they continue to gel, Barry and Yann getting more comfortable attacking both with and without the basketball is going to open a new level of possibilities. The alley oop.
  • I cant decide if Mellouk is just undisciplined or if he's woefully out of position at the 5. Curious for any of your thoughts
  • Over the years there have been lineups that cause the product on the court to plummet. It's not an indictment against guys as players, it's just the way the combinations work (Griffin/Amadi/Taqqee together was always one of these). It's clear right now that Flowers, Hill, Mellouk on the floor together is probably one to avoid. Noticeable drop on the defensive end. Offensive flow suffers and puts too much on Banks/Luc.
  • I really hope Hill keeps his head up. He's got a lot of potential to be a prototypical Schmidt contributor. He's just not there yet.
  • I don't mean to knock on one of our guys, but it's not like we've faced overwhelming competition. Flowers' performance so far makes his numbers at Hartford seem like a myth.
  • Why the fuck are the reds so empty all season?
  • I always root for A10 OOC, but I would be lying if I said VCU losing at home to Jacksonville didn't make me smile. It felt wrong, but I smiled.

Some season thoughts

• I cant decide if Mellouk is just undisciplined or if he's woefully out of position at the 5. Curious for any of your thoughts
  • I don't mean to knock on one of our guys, but it's not like we've faced overwhelming competition. Flowers' performance so far makes his numbers at Hartford seem like a myth.
  • I always root for A10 OOC, but I would be lying if I said VCU losing at home to Jacksonville didn't make me smile. It felt wrong, but I smiled.
I think for Mellouk it's a combination of both. However last night vs Cleveland State he didnt overmatched by there size. He had 6 rebounds and had some real easy put backs he just missed. I think he's still learning the postion and once he does there will be matchups he can be successful.

As for Flowers I think his numbers are definetlly a product of playing in the America East. Just look at Coulibaly's numbers at UMASS Lowell.

I feel your dillemma about being happy about A10 OOC loses. I always root for Duquesne and now UMASS to lose every game.

Even so on Flowers teams like Canisius, BG, S Indy, Cle St arent anything that is a clear step up from AE competition. For instance, Flowers put up good performances in both games vs a very good Vermont team. Could be the type of competition though? All those teams save for CC play a more athletic style while AE teams tend to air on the finesse side a bit. At least I think. Admittedly I don't tune in for much AE compeition.

Either way, certainly rooting for him to figure it out. It would be, needless to say, a huge push for this squad.

Given that Schmidt is still rotating Flowers in both halves, I would say he has some level of confidence in Flowers. We all know that you can end up in Schmidt's dog house pretty easily. He is still adjusting probably and has shown some flashes. He also needs to slow down a little. He seems to be going 100mph all the time and doesnt adjust. He reminds me a little of Quadry in that regard.

Melluok is not a 5. He is not bulky enough. He seems to be a 4.5.

Back