The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

I have to wonder how much Linton Brown could have made a difference this year. He was a big reason we won the Suny Amherst game and I feel like there would be a game or 2 in conference he could have maybe been a difference. He came in billed as a shooter and got off to a slow start but you can tell he has a good shot. If Rumpel can tickle the twine, we could be in business. To Jive's point about next year, Evans could be that X factor on defense, he is 6'7 (I think) and seems like a very athletic wing. I am picturing Denzell Gregg with a little more offensive game.

Last edited:
If we know Schmidt teams, they will probably round into a decent form next February and it could be rough going until then. Just need to feel like there's a shot to win A10s next season then grow from there. I hope Brown gets this whole season back, what a rough and unfortunate go of it he's had.

If we know Schmidt teams, they will probably round into a decent form next February and it could be rough going until then. Just need to feel like there's a shot to win A10s next season then grow from there. I hope Brown gets this whole season back, what a rough and unfortunate go of it he's had.
It's hard to tell this day and age if that will be the case or not.

There's still Matt Mobleys and Marcus Posleys out there. Only difference is they don't have to sit out, so you likely have no idea about your roster for 2022-2023 until late May early June.

I know this will never happen, but a consolidated playbook might make sense in this day & age where the transfer portal is so vital, yet you do not have luxury of the player sitting out an entire year to learn your system.

YES!

FFS, can we hear on a broadcast 1 more time about Schmidt's playbook encyclopedia? Keep it simple. Offense and defense, and execute what you do well.
I hate to speculate, but if Schmidt doesn't make some type of change regarding that, it could sink him.

Like I said earlier, no more transfer rule, so you need to get kids up to speed much faster. If you bring in a freshman that isn't playing, he will glady transfer so you can't let these kids rot on the bench year after year.

Our young players look so lost out there and I have to imagine it is somewhat related to them not knowing their place in Schmidt's complex system.

Yes, Schmidt has done extremely well prior to this rule change, but how will he do going forward? If I had to guess, it'll much of the same. Poor OOC results and then getting hot the last 10 games of the year.

How are we feeling about tonight's game? Senior night festivities being after the game is an interesting decision. Teams (especially senior led teams) often struggle at the start of senior night games, whether due to the festivities or the emotions of playing their last home game. Although baring a run in DC there will likely be one more home game for this group. Hopefully it is a joyous senior night, we win, lock up the double bye and shut people up about the damn GW game. If we dont and SLU wins, Bona twitter is going to be insufferable

Anyhow, I'm heading into this game assuming that Shoon doesnt play or gets a curtain call and thats it. I think Richmond is a tough matchup for a big guy coming back from an ankle injury given how much Golden moves around the perimeter.

Back in 2020 I had a long post comparing Richmond's offense to Davidson's offense, and lucky for me most the Richmond roster is the same. If you want to see what I wrote then here is the link. https://www.a10talk.com/forums/threads/bonnies-vs-richmond-sat-02-22-6-30-pm.268/
This year's version of Richmond has one notable difference and that is Tyler Burton. He is completely capable of making 1v1 plays when the normal Richmond offense gets bogged down. And if you dont box him out he will turn offensive boards into easy points everytime.

One of the things we struggled with in the first half vs VCU was letting them get every rebound. We cant let that happen vs Richmond if we want to win. Without Shoon this means we need everyone to crash the glass. This means Lofton and Holmes need to be tracking back instead of leaking out looking for fast break points. This team can play that style and played it much of last year. It also means when Adams is in he cant be looking to run off missed shots.

Adams? Yeah I said Adams, I think we play more small ball tonight and the reason we didnt go to it more vs VCU was the stomach bug issue. Playing small vs Richmond and switching everything can bog down their offense. I would love to see (it wont happen but humor me) Schmidt play the matchup game and play AKC when Golden goes to the bench. I think he could dominate Grace in the post, while not getting burned too much on the other end. Golden is involved so much on the ball, either screening, dribble handoffs or just passing out of the high post. I think that will be a difficult thing for AKC to defend.

I have no idea what to think. I am hoping Shoon is feeling good enough to give some minutes and if they have to play zone, so be it. I like having the festivities after the game for the reasons you mentioned, however it can be a damper if its coming off a tough loss. The good news is even a loss tonight doesnt necessarily kill the bye. SLU has to beat a VCU team going for the league title. To me the best case scenario for the weekend is VCU gets the 1 and we get the 4. I think we are better than VCU (at least head to head) and with a healthy Shoon or one that is good enough to prevent the layup lines, we can get them in the Semi. Plus they would be a Q1 win, which looks nice. (We are probably past the point of caring though but I am always thinking)

Burton goes without saying, we saw what he did last time. He is the only reason they won. I dont have high expectations if we dont have Shoon at all.

I was skimming the game preview and saw a note about this group's A10 tournament record. If you had asked me what their record is I would have figured it out, its 5-1. But, I had never thought about it that way, I always framed it as yeah they lost in one finals, COVID happened and they won the next year. But 5-1 is impressive and maybe this team just thrives in tournament style play.

Richmond always worries me because they have capable bigs, guys who shoot, and they move the ball well. They were also supposed to be good this year and at times show up as that team. With a hampered Shoon, they need their A game. Without Shoon, let's just say they need whatever the basketball equivalent of a perfect game is.

My take on tonight is much simpler. We all knew something was off earlier this year, and struggled to put our finger on it. It wasn't quite effort, when Kyle mentioned they started having fun, it was like a lightbulb. Fun, loose, with confidence, swagger, whatever. It just adds up. They had that in a 6 game streak. They didnt the last 2. Tuesday, whatever, lotta reasons to be off mentally. SJU though, was noticeable. Key difference, Saturday I thought they might lose against a lesser team. When they have the right demeanor, you know they're not letting themselves lose to a shitty team.

Hopefully that's back tonight and next week. I agree, without Shoon, beating Richmond is a tall task. Richmond is the prototypical annoying A10 team. Their recurring face plants totally undermine how capable they are. In the end, it looks like an easier game to the casual observer than it is. You could say the same about us.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but pretty sure Davidson clinched the No. 1 regardless of what happens this weekend. They are a game up on VCU and own the tiebreaker over them.

Davidson is 1-1 vs. VCU, 0-0 vs. Dayton and 1-0 vs us.
VCU is 1-1 vs. Davidson, 0-2 vs Dayton and 1-1 vs us.

Pretty sure the matchup is guaranteed for us. Bona will play SLU on Friday as either the 4 or 5 seed and then Davidson/GW/Mason should they make it to Saturday.

I think Dayton and Davidson are our worst-case matchups. Maybe Mason or an upstart GW club can upend the 'cats in a de facto home game. We played well against DC in the Reilly Center back last month, but I don't think we have the offense to keep up with them.

SLU is the matchup to be more concerned with...Some would want to play a club they've beat twice in a year. I'm not sure I'm entirely with that mindset, but we do matchup well with them despite two narrow victories.

Let's hope we can get the four seed and have a healthy club for A10s.

Shit, you are right. I didnt look ahead to the tie breakers.

VCU is still in play for the 1 seed, they are 1-1 vs Dayton not 0-2.

In that scenario:

VCU/Davidson- 15-3 A10
Split H2H
Highest next common opponent- Dayton- Davidson 0-1, VCU 1-1- tie goes to VCU

ETA- this scenario obviously assumes Dayton win over Davidson Sat/VCU win vs SLU Sat.

Dayton is also in play for the 2 still, but such a scenario would still leave us with Davidson as a potential semi matchup.

Last edited:

In that scenario:

VCU/Davidson- 15-3 A10
Split H2H

ETA- this scenario obviously assumes Dayton win over Davidson Sat/VCU win vs SLU Sat.

Dayton is also in play for the 2 still, but such a scenario would still leave us with Davidson as a potential semi matchup.
Good fact check. I should have done that. My dream is alive

In that scenario:

VCU/Davidson- 15-3 A10
Split H2H

My mistake. Thought VCU was 0-2 vs. Dayton. Forgot they escaped UD with a W back in early Jan.

In any event, I would rather play VCU than any other team in the top three. Yes they absolutely smoked us, but their offense is putrid and they turn over the ball a ton.

The amount of absolutely wide open dunks they had against us Tuesday had to be north of 10. With OSUN in, they don't try that.

Here's their total point total against us over the last four games excluding this week's contest:

53 - LOSS
65 - LOSS
67 - WIN
54 - LOSS

If our offense can be somewhat efficient against them, we can beat them.

I am just as confused as everyone else about tonight but will offer an irrelevant opinion. I hope someone beats Dayton in the A10 tourney, but I don't think we can do it. If they keep that group of fantastic freshmen and don't bolt to some other conference, I am afraid they will own the A10 for several years.

Here's an interesting conversation:

"https://twitter.com/BonniesMBB

Last edited:
Back