The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

Spot on Jive, but instead, we cant even seem to take our hands off our dicks long enough to push the A10 into scheduling a makeup game, in a city we're already going to, so dream big I guess.

Spot on Jive, but instead, we cant even seem to take our hands off our dicks long enough to push the A10 into scheduling a makeup game, in a city we're already going to, so dream big I guess.
The GW website shows the status as "not yet rescheduled". Take it for what it is worth...

Is there any benefit to announcing a GW makeup now?

In the (unlikely) scenario that we win out and both GW and Bona are locked into our seeds - jamming in an extra true road game against a team playing better than it's 225 NET is a disaster for Bona/A10. Especially since it'd have to be placed right before the A10s - where a Bona team with no depth would need at least a QF win and probably a SF win to get an at-large.

Set up the contingency planning now, but the only way the league should play that game is if it's going to change who gets the double bye and at this point that's unknown.

Since I'm not being productive at work today, I want to get pre-MAD about something.

Senior Night

Senior Night needs to be fixed and it needs to be a game where the students are in attendance. End of story. This is such an easy win for the athletics department yet every year senior night is during spring break for the students. Tickets are not for sale for this game yet but I would bet they are going to try to sell either the sideline student section seats or the baseline seats or both and that is just wrong. Seniors, in particular these Seniors should have their peers in attendance for senior night.

If you think senior night has to be a weekend (probably should be) then the Duqesne game was the game to have it and 80s weekend should be the Richmond game. In fact i would argue that 80s weekend since it is such a big event should always be a game when students aren't on campus.

rant over.
I know it wasn't an option this year, but Richmond game should be in Rochester in a situation like this.

We played Joe's in March back in 2016 and drew nearly 7,000 for a weeknight game. Hopefully this AD values Rochester more than the our last.

Set up the contingency planning now, but the only way the league should play that game is if it's going to change who gets the double bye and at this point that's unknown.

That's the issue though- they're not doing that. If it has no affect on seeding, sure, don't play. So far the A10's only acknowledgement has been 'nah, not rescheduling' and gone silent. It doesn't take much to announce your intention to reschedule any games that will affect your tournament's seeding.

I would also note that it's seeding, not just the double bye, that should be considered. 3rd vs 4th matters. Seeding shouldn't be determined by one less W or L in the respective column because you played one less game. That's independent of how it effects us. It's just good practice. A conference like the Atlantic 10 shouldn't have a problem figuring out what all of their peers already have.

The benefit then, of making and announcing a contingency plan, is to demonstrate that you actually give a fuck.

I have always wondered why they dont move break a week farther into March. Then students can attend A10's and not miss classes and you avoid this situation where we dont have our students for Sr night and a huge late home game. I am sure the administration has their reasons but lets face it, basketball is our biggest recruiting tool so we should do what we can to maximize it.

I have always wondered why they dont move break a week farther into March. Then students can attend A10's and not miss classes and you avoid this situation where we dont have our students for Sr night and a huge late home game. I am sure the administration has their reasons but lets face it, basketball is our biggest recruiting tool so we should do what we can to maximize it.
This comes down to the rivalry between Academics and Athletics. The Academics don't want to change the schedule, especially not just for the sports calendar. And AFAIK athletics has never made a big push to get the change made.

No more vaccine mandate at the RC. I am sure there will be a nice discussion on the Bannedwagon

I dont really want to get into whether the change is good or bad but why now with only 1 home game left for both teams? Why not just let the policy ride and update it for next season. The last couple of games i attended they werent even checking for vax cards anyways.

I am guessing they see the attendance and know some of it is because of the policies so they figure if they can get 100 more people in the door, then why not?

Quick test for Covid...

Insert fingah and sniff unwashed. If fingah doesn't smell like shit you have Covid. If fingah smells like shit you don't.

Suggest that all attendees self test prior to game.

Pissah!

Quick test for Covid...

Insert fingah and sniff unwashed. If fingah doesn't smell like shit you have Covid. If fingah smells like shit you don't.

Suggest that all attendees self test prior to game.

Pissah!
Thinking that a RC insert and sniff unwashed self test location might be the decrepit shithouse located directly across from the Post Office. Activities could then move to the adjacent corridor where a rally would be held for funding to rehab said decrepit shithouse.

Pissah!

Last night was ugly. With all there was at work I'd say I'm probably chalking 65% to circumstance, 35% concerned.

What was a concern was the fact it took a seemingly impossible 14 minutes to reach double digits. It got me thinking about how truly awful we have been scoring away from home, so i dove into it. Considering NCAAT hopes now ride on 3 wins in 3 days away from the RC, this is eye opening to me.

-At home we are 34.5 % from 3 and 48.5 % overall; away from home that is 29/41.5; true road games thats 27/41.5
-At home we score 78 PPG, Overall 70 ppg, away from home 63 PPG, true road games 61 PPG
-Clemson we shot uncharacteristically well from 3 at 50%. We are a frightening 26% from 3 away from home outside of that game
-LaSalle we scored 80, we failed to eclipse 70 in any of our remaining true road games- 59 PPG in true road games when you factor out that aberration
-You would be fair to ask if the cupcake competition on OOC at home inflated those numbers, but they didnt. Overall FG % in conference vs overall is almost identical; we actually have shot 1 % better from 3 in conference at home vs overall at home

The fact these struggles away from home is being had by a group of seniors is concerning, but that's a problem that I guess will soon be fixed on its own. Res and X are the resident stat heads here, so maybe they'll tell me I'm a moron. But this simpleton sees this as cause for concern.

By no means am I giving up hope. If anything I just hope it means, for the love of God, we emphasize guys who can flat out score for some of our remaining recruits.

Last night was ugly. With all there was at work I'd say I'm probably chalking 65% to circumstance, 35% concerned.

What was a concern was the fact it took a seemingly impossible 14 minutes to reach double digits. It got me thinking about how truly awful we have been scoring away from home, so i dove into it. Considering NCAAT hopes now ride on 3 wins in 3 days away from the RC, this is eye opening to me.

-At home we are 34.5 % from 3 and 48.5 % overall; away from home that is 29/41.5; true road games thats 27/41.5
-At home we score 78 PPG, Overall 70 ppg, away from home 63 PPG, true road games 61 PPG
-Clemson we shot uncharacteristically well from 3 at 50%. We are a frightening 26% from 3 away from home outside of that game
-LaSalle we scored 80, we failed to eclipse 70 in any of our remaining true road games- 59 PPG in true road games when you factor out that aberration
-You would be fair to ask if the cupcake competition on OOC at home inflated those numbers, but they didnt. Overall FG % in conference vs overall is almost identical; we actually have shot 1 % better from 3 in conference at home vs overall at home

The fact these struggles away from home is being had by a group of seniors is concerning, but that's a problem that I guess will soon be fixed on its own. Res and X are the resident stat heads here, so maybe they'll tell me I'm a moron. But this simpleton sees this as cause for concern.

By no means am I giving up hope. If anything I just hope it means, for the love of God, we emphasize guys who can flat out score for some of our remaining recruits.
Spot on with what you said.

I got ripped by some guy for saying this on twitter, but our defense, whether it be 3pt or whatever is rarely the MAIN problem. The issue is we have one go to scorer and a bunch of guys that fill in here and there.

It's not shocking we match up well with other clubs that don't score the ball well (VCU, SLU, Duq, etc). Problem is, we are likely going to play a Davidson club on Saturday in the A10s if we make it that far.

Whether the team was hampered or not last night is not an excuse. This club has too many guys that just flat out struggle to score the ball on any shot not at the rim.

At least this club has experience winning in the A10s, so hopefully that carriers over to this year, too.

Its also pretty clear we need a big next year. Cool is a fouling machine. Duro is a 0 offensively but I think with some reps he can be a serviceable big on defense. I was actually a little surprised by him last night, in a good way.

Its also pretty clear we need a big next year. Cool is a fouling machine. Duro is a 0 offensively but I think with some reps he can be a serviceable big on defense. I was actually a little surprised by him last night, in a good way.

Duro was better than Coul defensively I thought, which is equal parts bad on Coul and good on Duro. Rim protectors like Shoon don't come around often, if we need to couple Coul/Duro with a 4/sometimes stretch 5 not currently on the roster like we did with Griffin, Gregg, Dion, so be it.

I grew a new appreciation all around last night for what Shoon brings offensively, even if not scoring. When he's active offensively, defenses either account for him and open up space for others, or they dont account for him and we feed him with 5-6 dunks. VCU last night tightened on our drives very easily, and sagged off our bigs when they had the ball, because they knew they could. They got a lot more contested drives and closed off more cutting lanes because of it.

I have the same shooting concerns already expressed. The only mitigating factor I would suggest is that some of our guys were under the weather. I saw a tweet before the game to the effect that Adaway and Adams would miss the game and something later about Adaway being on an IV earlier. When I see Dom Welch miss multiple layups, I must wonder whether he was healthy.
I agree that we need to recruit a successor to Shoon and better shooters, but I don't have any idea how that is done. I just watch the games. Davidson finds a lot of them.

I grew a new appreciation all around last night for what Shoon brings offensively, even if not scoring. When he's active offensively, defenses either account for him and open up space for others, or they dont account for him and we feed him with 5-6 dunks. VCU last night tightened on our drives very easily, and sagged off our bigs when they had the ball, because they knew they could. They got a lot more contested drives and closed off more cutting lanes because of it.
^^^

Lets face it this group of guards and wings have never been great at stopping drive and kick without Shoon backing them up. He is a great asset but ultimately became a huge crutch. I think we will play a significantly different style of defense next year with the bigs hedging ball screens and the guy guarding the ball fighting to recover. AKC and Adams seem like good fits for that style. Shoon tends to briefly switch then play drop coverage taking away both the drive and the roller. This is where we get in trouble with guys hitting 3s against us.

On the other end I think we play more ball screen heavy and have less dribble handoffs involving the center. I also think we need to add shooters. Brown returning could be a big boost but we need a Mobley/Posley/Mosley type to come through the portal. Someone that can step right in and contribute.

The plan without Shoon last night seemed to be to have the whoever's man was two passes away cheat into the post and disrupt the entry pass. That worked really well early on then VCU figured out where the help was coming from and adjusted to make that helper come from farther away or by having that guy move off the ball making our defenders choose between staying with their man or helping the entry pass. It was good coaching by Rhoades. Combine that with guys not being 100% with the stomach bug that rotation becomes hard to make 70 straight possessions.

Back