The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

I think they will too but hearing about issues in practice makes me nervous. Any word on if the Northeastern game will be played or if we have an alternative? Dec 30 is a long way away and a long time to stew on a horrendous performance.
Northeastern was just cancelled, and based on last season I'll be very surprised if we try scheduling someone else (this is not sourced, but just a hunch), especially with Lofton hobbled and it being Christmas week. Niagara seems to have an opening this week, so that would make sense I suppose, but I won't hold my breath.

With Northeastern being canceled, the team needs to take to heart the lesson that you never know what will happen. Give your all in every practice and game because you may never get another chance.

Realistically though, what choices do we have as far as practice goes? A majority of our bench is very clearly not ready to play, so I’m sure our starters are dominating. Not much point in giving guys that won’t play run with the starters is there?

Now I read you have to be fully vaccinated to attend Bona games from now on. With any luck, someone communicated the virus to me in Charlotte and I can peacefully expire before I get the opportunity. Sorry for the gallows humor. It's not the end of the world. I hope everyone has a merry Christmas and we can start a new "season" with the A10, which has turned out to be pretty good competition.

Now I read you have to be fully vaccinated to attend Bona games from now on. With any luck, someone communicated the virus to me in Charlotte and I can peacefully expire before I get the opportunity. Sorry for the gallows humor. It's not the end of the world. I hope everyone has a merry Christmas and we can start a new "season" with the A10, which has turned out to be pretty good competition.
Yes. Let’s all regroup over this little break. Players, coaches, and fans alike. This is still a season with many opportunities.

We all need a chill pill. The VT game was a huge letdown but its time to move on. We are basically in the position we were last year at this time, but we have some better wins to stand on. The disappoint is that we all expected this to be a fun a smooth season and that buffer is gone. I didnt think we would ever fall out of the at large pool this season but we have done that or are very close. Hopefully the Clemson and Marquette wins age well (I am not so sure on Marquette). Looking forward, the A10 had a really nice non conference for once and we are set up to pick up so good wins if we can get them. Looking over the schedule, I see 13-15 wins. The losses I am looking at are @Dayton, @SLU, @VCU, Davidson (because we always do) and then one bogey. The plus side of the A10 is there are only 3 bad teams (GW, DUQ and La Salle) so there are less landmines but a strong middle. Hell, Fordham is 1 win away from being a Q3 home game. Also, UNI is a win away from being a Q3 loss, which would help a lot too.

All that being said, Merry Christmas to all of us, the players and staff.

Yes. As whiny as it sounds, it does suck to not have a season where we can see ourselves as locks, wonder if we could get a 4 seed, stay in the rankings, etc. It's a good lesson for next time expectations are high just how difficult it is for an A10 team to pull that off, and how good (and deep/healthy/lucky) you have to be.

End of the season we should have 4-5 Q1 games total and anywhere from 7-12 in Q2. Winn enough games and we'll be fine. Or don't, and go to the NIT, in which case Francis seems like the best building on campus to leap from.

There are virtually no locks in December besides a handful of programs.

We have no idea how our competition will fare. Teams that are hot early fade and vice versa.

What I do know is this:

1.) The A10 looks like it'll present us with more Q1/2 games than most thought it would just a month ago.
2.) Boise and Clemson are most likely locks to be Q2 games. Marquette and Buffalo are close.
3.) Unless ravaged by injuries, UNI will NOT be a Q4 team.

We are in the tourney if it started today, and we are in good shape still, but like others have said, likely need to win 13+ games in A10 play to be be in the discussion for an @ large. Only difference is we will almost certainly not be a top 6 seed unless we win 16+ games in conference play.

Making the tourney is ALWAYS an accomplishment, and should not been seen as a disappointment even if we are a double digit seed.

SBU has NEVER been to B2B NCAAs. Let's hope that changes this year!

Absolutely, 3rd. Expectations are often a curse. We're still very much in this thing.

Clemson is playing their way into a Q1 win, so that's nice. I agree we should all be stoked to go to back to back NCAAT's. For me, I think I will enjoy last year much more than this year due to the expectations and lackluster play. I am also a person who didnt enjoy the 2017-18 season much at all due to the every night was a Game 7 scenario so take what I say with caution.

To be clear, by no means am I suggesting that making the NCAAT at any seed would be anything less than a success, especially doing it twice in a row for the first time. Emphasis on 'sounds whiny' in my last post.

We witnessed many Xaviers, Temples, etc over the years enjoy seasons start to finish in the national spotlight, T25, high seed, etc etc etc. Meanwhile, we'd trot out Tyler Benson, and I'd think how impossible it was for me to even imagine that for us, let alone see it happen. I think we can all agree it would be fun to experience that, and after Charleston, I got my hopes up we were actually about to. That's all I meant above. If we shake off the weird attitude that has plagued us through parts of many games and all of last Friday, this will still be a very fun year.

I feel like things will be pretty close to what November was like in about a month. I just hope we can get a few games in this month.

If Bona is up to full speed and an opponent has to cancel due to COVID, hopefully we can get a game on the schedule.

This will either add to depression or liven things up, maybe both! Looking for feedback:

1641481597640.png

I just don't see how the put Bonaventure in Buffalo as a 12 seed. No way they give us that type of advantage. If we get in the tourney this year, doubt it's in Pittsburgh or Buffalo.

I just don't see how the put Bonaventure in Buffalo as a 12 seed. No way they give us that type of advantage. If we get in the tourney this year, doubt it's in Pittsburgh or Buffalo.
About that. So I didnt put the time in to refactoring sites an I initially really only focused on the sites for the 1 and 2 seeds because I know they will get taken care of. The rest are kind of willy nilly but there were spots that made sense like USC in Portland, Ohio St in Buffalo to name a couple.

On the seed list, SBU is actually in the slot to play VT but I had to move one of them obviously so I swapped with Murray St, who is 1 spot down on the list. I didnt even realize this put SBU in Buffalo. The good news about Buffalo is there is no logical candidate to play there so that pod will be wide open.

Last edited:
Back