The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

I remember seeing a list somewhere of things they wanted to do and replacing the Red seats was one of them. I have no idea if that is what they are doing. I think BR posted it somewhere.
IIRC, the only one of the improvements that was currently funded was the upgrades to the weight room.

Yeah... I’m sure they’ll do surface level aesthetic improvements (they do this most summers), but the RC desperately needs to replace its seats. Brown seats above and matching rounded bleachers below are musts.

Additionally, they MUST do something about the banners. Too much noise in the rafters. Keep the individual NCAA banners, obviously (and let’s do what most respectable programs do and lose the round distinctions unless it’s a Sweet 16 run or deeper).

Consolidate the NIT banners onto however many it takes. Four or five of the same size would probably do. The 1977 NIT title should have its own NCAA-sized banner, but NOT one as big as the Final Four.

Oh, and each A10 title should have its own banner... and ditch the “regular season” and “tournament” distinctions. Most schools, and I remember Xavier doing this, just put “CHAMPIONS” on the banner.

Last edited:
I tried to attach a photo from the athletics brochure related to the Bolder Bonaventure capital campaign that outlines the proposed athletics projects to be funded by that campaign, but the file was apparently to large to be attached to this forum. I do not have any insight into the period of time over which these projects will actually happen, but here are those related to the RC:

RC Resource Areas:
- Build or renovate team locker rooms so all teams have their own
- Expand Strength and Conditioning Center from current 3,000 sq. ft. to proposed 7,000 sq. ft., with new equipment, flooring, lighting, ventilation, offices and an athlete "fueling station"
- Relocate and expand Academic Support Center
- Expand Sports Medicine
- Renovate the RC pool
- Renovate the men's basketball locker room and team meeting room
- Renovate the women's basketball coaches' offices
- Create a broadcast production and media work room to meet EXPN+ national TV/web stream broadcast requirements
- Build additional visiting team locker rooms
- Expand and/or renovate equipment, storage and laundry facilities

RC Arena:
- Replace sound system
- Replace lighting
- Replace all red seats
- Upgrade wireless Internet access
- Address ADA compliance/accessibility
- Add two video boards to north and south walls
- Renovate the concourse

There are other proposed projects related to the athletics fields and fitness center.

Also, for those that may be inclined to donate, a great guy from my class passed on this past winter. The group of classmates he was a part of that regularly got together has established a fund with the University to endow a (partial) scholarship for a walk-on each year in his memory since he was a BIG basketball guy. The minimum funding for an endowed scholarship is $50k. The fund is over $40k right now and growing, albeit slowly now.

If you want to support this, either in memory of a great guy or just to help the basketball program, the fund is the "Chris Keenan and Bona Bakers Endowed Scholarship" (or something very close to that). You do have to specify that you want to contribute to this scholarship fund when you donate to make sure it helps get to the $50k threshold.

Offseason topics

1utY.gif

Curran is a finalist for the Central Conn St job. Hes 1 of 5. Selfishly I dont want to see him get it.

Vasquez to Hofstra. I would have to guess he we see him again before his career is over if he stays at Hofstra. We have played them 4 of the last 6 years.

I can picture it now, AJ goes 7/10 from downtown, scores 32, and has a late crucial steal as Hofstra shocks the #12 Bonnies at the RC.

I wish AJ had stayed here, but Hofstra is a great fit for him. He’ll have much more freedom to create his own shot, as that wasn’t consistently feasible at SBU with so many offensive options.

It won’t be a surprise if Vasquez winds up All-CAA before he’s done with Speedy Claxton’s Flying Dutchmen.

I think Hofstra is a good fit for him but he is so loose with the ball. He always made me nervous when he was dribbling. Catch and shoot, he is really good.

87 buy game or do we finally have enough clout for a home and home? Naaaaaa

Yes, reading '87's runes is sometimes easy, other times not so much.

Could UCONN have agreed to a game? If so, this would be the P6 game he referred to earlier. I doubt we'll see the pageant mom in Olean, though.

OK, that's enough, despite what some on the Bandwagon believe. Now let's get all the Niagaras, Binghamtons and Hamptons lined up. And, for god's sake, beat them.

Back