The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

Canisius is now scheduled between Siena and the Charleston Classic.

Updated confirmed schedule:

Tuesday 11/9 - vs. Siena, 7 p.m.
Sunday 11/14 - vs. Canisius, 5 p.m. ESPN+
Thursday 11/18 - vs. Boise State, 2 p.m. ESPN2 (Charleston Classic First Round)
Friday 11/19 - vs. Clemson or Temple, Noon or 2:30 p.m. ESPN2/ESPNU (Charleston Classic Second Round)
Sunday 11/21 - vs. WVU/ELON/MARQ/MISS, hopefully the championship at 7:30 p.m. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU (Charleston Classic)
Saturday 11/27 - vs. Northern Iowa, 2 p.m.
Wednesday 12/1 - vs. Coppin State, 7 p.m. ESPN+
Friday 12/17 - vs. Virginia Tech, TBA (Spectrum Center, Charlotte)
TBA - vs. UConn (Prudential Center, Newark)

Glad we have a game in that Nov window but Sunday at 5 is a terrible time

@SBUnfurled Do you think there's any chance we would play an OOC game after the A10 season starts? All the A10 teams who have released full schedules haven't shown any OOC games after Christmas. If Northeastern were to be the final OOC game for us, the only space I see on the schedule before the new year is 12/14, but that's in the middle of finals week, plus would give us 4 games in 10 days, including 2 very good P5s. It looks like the A10 schedule will begin either 12/28, 12/29 or New Year's weekend.

Every now and then, you get a really good OOC matchup in January or February. I think the biggest one was when #2 Tennessee beat #1 Memphis in February 2008. St. John's and Duke have played a few times later in the season too. Hell, I think St. Joe's played Penn last season after A10 play started. Just wondering if that might be something we're looking at.

@SBUnfurled Do you think there's any chance we would play an OOC game after the A10 season starts? All the A10 teams who have released full schedules haven't shown any OOC games after Christmas. If Northeastern were to be the final OOC game for us, the only space I see on the schedule before the new year is 12/14, but that's in the middle of finals week, plus would give us 4 games in 10 days, including 2 very good P5s. It looks like the A10 schedule will begin either 12/28, 12/29 or New Year's weekend.

Every now and then, you get a really good OOC matchup in January or February. I think the biggest one was when #2 Tennessee beat #1 Memphis in February 2008. St. John's and Duke have played a few times later in the season too. Hell, I think St. Joe's played Penn last season after A10 play started. Just wondering if that might be something we're looking at.
Squeezing one in between a potential UConn matchup in NJ and a Virginia Tech game in Charlotte seems ill-advised, in my opinion. I'd like one on the 26th or 27th and then start up A10 play the 29th or 30th. Other than that, I'm not seeing a window available. We also don't really rock the boat at all with unconventional scheduling, so I'd be shocked to see a non-A10er after December ends.

If only we were having the DOBO on the podcast next week to ask..................

Squeezing one in between a potential UConn matchup in NJ and a Virginia Tech game in Charlotte seems ill-advised, in my opinion. I'd like one on the 26th or 27th and then start up A10 play the 29th or 30th. Other than that, I'm not seeing a window available. We also don't really rock the boat at all with unconventional scheduling, so I'd be shocked to see a non-A10er after December ends.

If only we were having the DOBO on the podcast next week to ask..................
Shut up.

Off topic, but look for Bona to name a new AD within the next two weeks.
Looks like we have our guy.

Former associate AD from Duke joining the Bonnies. Had stops at Ohio State and Syracuse.

Played basketball at Colgate and is from Fairport. Sounds like a good get. Was one of the leading fundraisers on the SU MBB practice facility.

I'll officially add the UConn game now (looks like I also forgot NE/Loyola MD). I'll see you chaps in Newark. I stayed near the arena once a few years ago and it's not too bad. I don't have any scouting reports on pregame bars though, since we went into the city. Also, it's not a bad day trip for those of you traveling from WNY.

Final (ish?) OOC Schedule:

Thursday 11/4 - vs. Alfred, 7 p.m. (Exhibition)
Tuesday 11/9 - vs. Siena, 7 p.m.
Sunday 11/14 - vs. Canisius, 5 p.m. ESPN+
Thursday 11/18 - vs. Boise State, 2 p.m. ESPN2 (Charleston Classic First Round)
Friday 11/19 - vs. Clemson or Temple, Noon or 2:30 p.m. ESPN2/ESPNU (Charleston Classic Second Round)
Sunday 11/21 - vs. WVU/ELON/MARQ/MISS, hopefully the championship at 7:30 p.m. ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU (Charleston Classic)
Saturday 11/27 - vs. Northern Iowa, 2 p.m.
Wednesday 12/1 - vs. Coppin State, 7 p.m. ESPN+
Saturday 12/4 - vs. Buffalo, 4 p.m. NBC Streaming (Peacock?)
Wednesday 12/8 - vs. Loyola (MD), 7 p.m.
Saturday 12/11 - vs. UConn, 3:30 or 4 p.m. ESPN2 (Never Forget Tribute Classic, Newark)
Friday 12/17 - vs. Virginia Tech, TBA (Basketball Hall of Fame Shootout, Charlotte)
Wednesday 12/22 - at Northeastern, TBA

The only game not officially confirmed is the home game against SUNY-Amherst on Saturday 12/4. It was reported a while ago and I think it's safe to assume that it'll be the final game of the nonconference. Matt Pappano told us they most likely won't squeeze in a 13th game. Fine with me, why risk a Q4 loss or tire yourself out between the VT and UConn games?

Also, our great friend Rothstein says the A10 schedule will come out within the next two weeks. That's not surprising since in 2019 (the last "normal" offseason for schedule releases), the conference schedule came out shortly after Labor Day.

Last edited:
Back