The Bonnies: 2020-2021 Season Thread

This certainly doesn't benefit us, but I dont think that this benefits any of the other teams vying for an at-large. This benefits nobody but UMass.

Without bogging into too much detail- you can bet that St Louis will play VCU and Richmond. You can probably assume between VCU and St Louis that at least one of them plays Davidson. We also play Davidson. It's easy to see that all of these teams playing each other is going to cause some beating up among the top teams, Inevitably winning percentages will be lowered somewhere, and teams who are clearly more deserving of a higher seed than UMass wont get it.

I truly cannot understand the rationale up moving things UP a week. The A10 has been hit harder than any other multi-bid conference by delays and pauses. I'm truly dumbfounded that the league's response is to give everyone less time to make up for that. As others have said, we and all of the other teams need games. If we lose to Davidson, how do we overcome it? By beating some like St Louis, yes, but also just racking up wins.

The A10 seems to be thinking the top teams in the league beating each other up wont matter, because that's what happens in the power conferences, too. No bad losses and plenty of marquee wins, and raises everyone's NET. That's all well and good, but in the A10 that's only going to work if the top teams also have all of the wins of beating up the shitty teams to go along with it. You need to pad your winning percentage to show that you are part of the upper eschelon of the A10 and you're that much better than the rest of the leaugue.

Without that, you get a bunch of records that will be watered down and take bids away. The committee isn't going to take the time to breakdown the nuances of the imbalanced interconference SOS. They're going to see a team that lost X number of A10 games, and cross them off their list.

Last edited:
I came to my conclusion last night, before signing on and reading all the good stuff here, that we want to play Davidson (already scheduled), UMass and Dayton.
I believe this makes things a bit more equitable while giving us a chance to win a few marquee games. UMass should have to play any combination of us, SLU, VCU, Richmond or Dayton as their open slots permit

If we need to play SLU, we can do it in the tourney.

Also, exalt to the the "maximizing an objective function, subject to constraints" model. You're just a REMM (dated terminology - don't cancel me) at heart.

Last edited:
I agree with wanting UMass. If we think their bottom feeding winning percentage is bullshit, take matters into our own hands. Dayton is also now with Chatman healthy, of course- they're now a top 75 quality opponent without the needed number of games remaining to boost themselves there. Good timing for us.

I still think we need St Louis. Will the leauge make St Lou finish with VCU, Richmond, Davidson, SBU? They should. It would only be fair in making their schedule as loaded as ours or as VCU's. Will they, though? Or will they finish with like Duquesne on the road ?

Dating back 10 years, no team has ever been left out of the tournament with a winning Q1+Q2 record and no Q3/Q4 losses. Of course, this season is much different because we've only played an OOC's worth of games so far, but it's something to keep in mind. We're currently 4-3 in Q1+Q2 and 6-0 in Q3/Q4.

Inconceivably, given we’ve been road heavy so far and originally had home dates Richmond and Saint Louis scheduled, we get neither remade. All four of our makeup games have way more downside than upside. If we sweep Davidson, they’ll move down to @Q2/Q3. GW is a pure landmine and Dayton is a tricky Q3 game (at least as of now) that we’ll get no credit for winning.

Positives: clarifies my rooting interest tonight and gives us a good look at the regular season title if we handle business. At large becomes tough with anything less, so we may as well run the table.

Holy shit! Dayton blows away SLU and now we're also looking at back-to-back meetings with our Wildcat nemesis? I give up. I guess the only solution is to play our balls off and not lose any of these remaining games, but that is a man-sized order.
I won't worry about not playing UMass. If they are who I think they are, they'll lose enough in the remaining games to bring that winning percentage outside the top 4.

Dennis Green is that you? I agree on Umass but, like Lasalle, they can be dangerous.

Davidson is a problem. We can’t help off shooters so in Shoon (and the refs) we trust.

The only solution is play our balls off. Yes. That is correct. Play your balls off, win, and be who we think you are. It's simple. Just Winn. Damn the conference. Ignore the weird results. Winning fixes everything.

I did this quickly, so keep that in mind, but...

I believe, if Richmond and St Louis win tonight, Bona would win their first outright regular season A-10 title in program history with a 2-1 finish.

(Until the next COVID schedule alteration at least.)

So much for that. Lets just win them all. WE still could win going 2-1 but that would require VCU losing to Davidson, which is possible. Actually if Davidson beats both of us and we win the last 2, we got it. If we win 1, we still got it since Davidson would be the highest common oppponent and our 1-1 would best their 0-1. Win tonight and we are in really great shape.

Back