Student section seating

Bonafanatic

This buff news article making the rounds:

I understand why they have to limit the student capacity and on Sbunfurled podcast Capt Beer said the students have to get tickets through an on-campus app which is pretty impressive.

Here’s my question: where are the students sitting? If you look at the seatmap for games, you can see every game has the far end upper reds sections blocked off. Is that the student section? Is that in addition to the typical courtside seats?

As mentioned in a post by Seth Johnson from SBU Marketing yesterday, it appears the student section will actually expand by roughly ~200 seats for this season.

Students will keep their typical seats across from the opposing team's bench and behind the basket, but now the student section will expand to the seats behind the hoop (HOF suite side) as well as into the reds against the wall nearest the swimming entrance.

The sections with the white dots is where students will be seated.

It appears the biggest difference will be students have to have a seat and cannot just stand in aisle ways/ door entrances and cannot block exit ways just like the rest of the people in attendance. They won't be checking individual students seats, but rather enforcing firecode .

Sounds like the change will add to the student's viewing experience as there will be more space/seating for students who want to see games without being cramped into an area without a seat.

Attachments

• RC..PNG
    RC..PNG
    229.4 KB · Views: 5
As is typical, most Bannedwagon folk freak out if even the slightest change is implemented in any aspect of their existence. These changes are good ones. It will spread out some of the noise on game day, and, as 3rd said, actually adhere to the fire code.

I don’t agree with everything the athletics department does, but let’s not act like the groups making these decisions are morons. They have the school’s best interest at heart.

As is typical, most Bannedwagon folk freak out if even the slightest change is implemented in any aspect of their existence. These changes are good ones. It will spread out some of the noise on game day, and, as 3rd said, actually adhere to the fire code.

I don’t agree with everything the athletics department does, but let’s not act like the groups making these decisions are morons. They have the school’s best interest at heart.
Plus you know the most crazy and loyal students will be right there across from the bench anyway. The casual students will be the ones in the reds.

Exactly, Bill.

For a few years before this season, they had a similar procedure in place to plan for student turnout for big games. Like you said, having students in multiple areas of the arena will make it louder, not quiet the place.

The real issue here is the lower bowl configuration. Aside from a major renovation to the lower bowl, it seems the seats behind the hoop are much smaller than they were in the 80s or 90s.

I cannot confirm as the seats have been there for quite some time, but looking at old game footage, it appears the seats were a little wider.

You are right 3rdShay, lower bowl ends sat far more in the 80s/90s, and the wooden bleachers had narrower aisles and extended further past the end lines. They lost over 500 potential seats when they put the blues in. Unfortunately they had to adhere to all new codes when putting in the blues.

THIS IS BULLSHIT! THEY SAT IN THE STAIRWELLS AGAINST DUQUESNE IN THE 70s! DAMN THE OSHA FIRE CODE PANSY-ASS SAFETY HALL MONITOR GESTAPOS AND THE ATHLETICS DEPT NAZIS!

:censored:

If anyone knows anything about the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, you know why crowding too many fans into an end of a stadium/arena is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Students behind both baskets is awesome and spreads out the noise on both ends. There have been huge games where that corner near those Ashley Furniture comfy chairs looked very unsafe. Clear it out and make each student have an actual seat. It's not gonna reduce student attendance in any way. It'll sound as great as ever Tuesday night.

Back