Starting A10 Play

BonaCommenter

So OOC was a delicious gorilla burger, except replace the cheese in the grilled cheese with turds. Started off terrible, great in the middle, bad end (especially since we probably should have lost to MTSU to be honest).

2020, new year, new decade, new us folks. We have 4 very winnable games to start A10 play.

at GW
at Mason
Fordham
UMass (in Rochester)

It is REALLY important we start off no worse than 3-1. This is probably our easiest 4 game stretch in the A10. George Washington is a shitshow that's more concerned about Snapchat than shooting percentage. I don't know if you heard about the egg Mason laid at TCU, but they lost by 34. They've lost to every real team they've played, so we can definitely get them on the road. Fordham is still Fordham. UMass will be interesting because of their new transfer player made eligible tonight, but I would hope we handle them at Blue Cross.

Of course, it's especially important because our toughest 3 game stretch immediately follows. @ VCU, @ Dayton and URI in the RC. Guys really need to get their shit together post-Gannonfest, so hopefully a trip to Foggy Bottom will cure things.

So OOC was a delicious gorilla burger, except replace the cheese in the grilled cheese with turds. Started off terrible, great in the middle, bad end (especially since we probably should have lost to MTSU to be honest).

2020, new year, new decade, new us folks. We have 4 very winnable games to start A10 play.

at GW
at Mason
Fordham
UMass (in Rochester)

It is REALLY important we start off no worse than 3-1. This is probably our easiest 4 game stretch in the A10. George Washington is a shitshow that's more concerned about Snapchat than shooting percentage. I don't know if you heard about the egg Mason laid at TCU, but they lost by 34. They've lost to every real team they've played, so we can definitely get them on the road. Fordham is still Fordham. UMass will be interesting because of their new transfer player made eligible tonight, but I would hope we handle them at Blue Cross.

Of course, it's especially important because our toughest 3 game stretch immediately follows. @ VCU, @ Dayton and URI in the RC. Guys really need to get their shit together post-Gannonfest, so hopefully a trip to Foggy Bottom will cure things.

I would've said the Mason game looks like a definite loss for St. Bonaventure until TCU went and beat them by 34 last night... yikes. I actually like that matchup for the Bonnies. Mason doesn't really have a post, and Osun Osunniyi could absolutely go to work if he stays out of foul trouble.

There isn’t a team in the A10 that scares me less than GMU. We match up well with them. Could we lose? Of course; however, I always like the way Schmidt’s guys match up with Paulsen’s.

There isn’t a team in the A10 that scares me less than GMU. We match up well with them. Could we lose? Of course; however, I always like the way Schmidt’s guys match up with Paulsen’s.

“There isn’t a team in the A-10 that scares me less than GMU.”

Fordham would like a word.

A10 play is all about our progression, player development, and what we look like heading into next year knowing the whole roster returns, plus some (hopefully) impactful newcomers.

Unless we get a second consecutive favorable collapsing of the bracket, an A10 title is going to be hard to come by given the talent amongst the top 3-4 teams (this is where the BW would chide me for not proclaiming gleefully that ‘anything can happen!’).

That said, it’s a very unique situation we see ourselves in compared to most years where we are hoping for guys with smaller roles to eventually usurp guys with currently larger ones. AJ and Justin Have at times firmly stamped their place on the court as soon as they get out there, and their ability to do that more consistently will be huge for both the success of this A10 season as well as a barometer for the future

Also, regarding Carpenter- people ask for him to play more but we’ve hardly seen him play.

Anyone have any insights as to why asking for more of him either is or isn’t a legit ask?

I’m reminded of last year- people were always asking for more Alpha, and as time went on and we got a little bit of it, it was obvious why we hadn’t/still aren’t getting a whole lot of alpha.

Also, regarding Carpenter- people ask for him to play more but we’ve hardly seen him play.

Anyone have any insights as to why asking for more of him either is or isn’t a legit ask?

I’m reminded of last year- people were always asking for more Alpha, and as time went on and we got a little bit of it, it was obvious why we hadn’t/still aren’t getting a whole lot of alpha.

I asked it after the debacle that was Winston at the 5 last night. I'm just genuinely curious because nothing I've seen out of him in the limited game action makes me think he sucks, but it also doesnt make me think we need him to play. I think you have to at least try to play him a bit in a situation like last night when both Osun and Ikpeze have 2 early fouls. Otherwise, redshirt the guy or recruit a better big man.

An at-large was never in play, even before we fucked up opening night against Ohio. It's all about gunning for the best position for A10s. We do have a favorable schedule though. Let's assume the top 4 behind Dayton/VCU are URI, Richmond, St. Louis and Davidson (yeah, I know DAV has sucked OOC, but I trust their top talent/McKillop more than the Dukes). The only team in that next four we play on the road is little Travie's crew on the last Saturday. That will be huge for fighting for a double bye.

I think the depth of the A10 this year has been overrated. Dayton is obviously way better, but everyone else is around where they were last year (except maybe flip-flop Davidson and Richmond). That's why we have to get out to at least a 4-2 start, so we can be towards the top of the middle pack.

Rob is an athletic kid who is not quite ready for D1 play. Think first year Griffin but with a jumpshot and less gangly play (no offense, LD). His position is the problem, too. There’s no way he could play over Justin or Bobby. If he stays, he will develop nicely.

The people asking for Alpha just didn’t know. They were teased by his play against Alfred and assumed it would carry over. Those same guys are probably ball or basket watchers who missed his poor fundamentals and propensity to drive baseline into problems.

I think it's going to be a real up and down A10 schedule. Our team is too inconsistent and not deep. Kyle has to play 40 minutes or we melt down. Our shooters are streaky. Shoon and Bobby are our best rebounders and also two of our best foulers. We have weak passing and some poor handles. When things click and shots fall we look great. When shots don't and we have to manufacture offense it's been a train wreck.

There are good teams this year in conference. URI beat the snot out of MTSU, and I know BB is about matchups, but that, to me, was telling about how we might stand. Dayton is very good. There are a number of schools like SBU in the fact that they can look real good on any given night. I think we're going to have some fun Winns, and some losses that put "board that shall not be named" into a tailspin.

I just want to see improvement and another good showing in Brooklyn. HC gets $1MM Olean dollars a year I think it's fair to expect results, but still understand the team is pretty raw.

Rob is an athletic kid who is not quite ready for D1 play. Think first year Griffin but with a jumpshot and less gangly play (no offense, LD). His position is the problem, too. There’s no way he could play over Justin or Bobby. If he stays, he will develop nicely.

The people asking for Alpha just didn’t know. They were teased by his play against Alfred and assumed it would carry over. Those same guys are probably ball or basket watchers who missed his poor fundamentals and propensity to drive baseline into problems.
I heard from someone with knowledge that alpha’s primarily on the bench because two years in he still isn’t getting the offense and defense. I met him once and liked him. I hope he can earn some minutes but I won’t question HC.

I heard from someone with knowledge that alpha’s primarily on the bench because two years in he still isn’t getting the offense and defense. I met him once and liked him. I hope he can earn some minutes but I won’t question HC.
Great teammate, though.

All 14 a10 teams play today. Good day to focus on basketball with the bills knocked out of the playoffs...

I think we learn a lot about Bona today. Blow out GW on the road and the Bonnies start to look the part of a team that can hang in the middle-of-the-pack with the likes of Duquesne, Davidson, Mason, Rhode Island, etc. Lose or don’t cover, and the trajectory might be closer to 8th or 9th. These are the road games you absolutely have to win.

Bonnies need to make more trips to the foul line. It will be tough to win in the A10 if the opponent consistently gets a sizeable gap in FT attempts.

Upcoming schedule looks like a good chance to stay ahead of .500 in A-10 play

@George Mason
vs. Fordham
vs. Massachusetts
@VCU
@Dayton
vs. Rhode Island
@Fordham
vs. George Mason

Not unrealistic to think there are 5 o/u wins in there...? Losses to VCU and Dayton more than likely, but everyone else is beatable. Chance to start A-10 play 6-3.

Upcoming schedule looks like a good chance to stay ahead of .500 in A-10 play

@George Mason
vs. Fordham
vs. Massachusetts
@VCU
@Dayton
vs. Rhode Island
@Fordham
vs. George Mason

Not unrealistic to think there are 5 o/u wins in there...? Losses to VCU and Dayton more than likely, but everyone else is beatable. Chance to start A-10 play 6-3.
6-3? Pshaw!

The Rhody game should provide a really strong home court advantage for us. A 4:00 Saturday tip, and the first game in front of the students in what already seems like months.

Back