Schmidt Zoom Talk

3rdShayCripSet

As most already know, Schmidt and Tim Kenney hosted a Zoom call to update Bona fans on how things are progressing during the off-season.

Not too much was said that would excite, but it looks like we are putting together are pretty solid OOC from what was told to us by Pappano and Schmidt.

The staff wants two P5 games and two buy games against mid majors who won their conference this past year. I assume the team will use the money from P5 game to get another high-caliber game on the schedule. The game against Yale was a great get. Pretty sure they finished top 50 last year, and return a lot of pieces from last year’s squad.

My guess is as good as any, but here’s my guess for the last buy for the home OOC: Colgate. They lose some pieces, but will hopefully be good again next year. Would ideally get a game against UNI, ETSU or Murray State, but Colgate still would be a good (and cheap) add.

A slate with Siena, Colgate, Yale and MTSU is pretty good and throw in games against Bradley(maybe), Little Rock(maybe), Buffalo and New Mexico and we are talking five maybe six teams that should be top 100. That’s as good of a schedule we’ve had in a long time.

The P5 games don’t do it for me, but if we use that money to improve our overall schedule, so be it.

What a get for the Paradise Jam Tournament to Little Rock after Colorado State dropped out. UALR was 21-10 last year and returns every single player but one benchwarmer. They will be one of the better teams down in the USVI.

Know it’s a way off, and it might not happen, but excited for the possible 20-21 schedule.

Last edited:
I get the feeling that the A10 is going to a 20 game season next year. Kinda surprised they haven't announced it yet. If that happens, I think there's only one game left to book in the OOC.

I get the feeling that the A10 is going to a 20 game season next year. Kinda surprised they haven't announced it yet. If that happens, I think there's only one game left to book in the OOC.
Would they transition this quickly? I would imagine at least one team has non-conference scheduling contracts to fulfill for at least this season, no?

With the way things are going, this is most likely good for Bona.

Replace games with Jackson State and Hofstra/ or any pedestrian RC game with two games against a top 5 A10 team (probably top ~90 most years) and you get a stronger SOS and probably end up with $75K in savings in your pocket from not having to shell out dough for one shit team and one good buy at the RC.

$75K would go a long way with buying a top flight mid major in the RC or Rochester.

So will they be moving the Paradise Jam to Little Rock when the inevitable happens and the Paradise Jam is moved to the mainland due to health/travel concerns? Hopefully it's like the Boomer Classic last year and FIU hosts.

Sorry guys, but I seriously don't think college sports get played in the fall semester. My guess is football is January or February-May and basketball is conference schedules starting on January 1st and postseason tournaments (including March Madness) only. I hope I'm wrong...

Sadly, I think you’re right. I don’t even see how the fall semester can resume. No school is going to be “the one” that opens, has a cv19 outbreak and 1 or 2 students with weak immune systems kick the bucket.

Back