Richmond Spiders 2019-20 Season Thread

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.43.58 AM.png

Tonight we find out how legit the Spiders are. A few big things stand out in the Kenpom matchup predictor above. Richmond scorching the nets from three while the Badgers have a very tough time defending the three point line. Need to come out and hit some big threes early. Don't put Wisconsin on the free throw line, or they will capitalize. Shooting 82.6% from the charity stripe. Gotta be strong on the glass too... that's one of UW's strong suits, and UR has not been very good.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Richmond HAS to stay hot from 3 in order to win tonight. We might have to go big which worries me, as Grant Golden has been hit or miss so far. He is going to have to big on the boards, as well as Nathan Cayo if the Spiders want to win this one.

Safe to say Richmond looks like a top 4 team in the conference after that win. That will go down as the 2nd best win in the A-10 (by Kenpom ranking), only behind VCU beating LSU. I also think that win could carry a lot of weight come March. IF Richmond doesn't blow any bunnies in November & December and gets a few resume-building wins in conference play, this could be an NCAA Tournament team, though I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Also, potential matchup against Auburn tomorrow night is playing with house money -- already picked up a big win over Wisconsin, and a loss to a very physical Auburn team on a neutral court doesn't hurt you at all. Can't wait to see if the Spiders keep it going.

I'm super excited for tonight. They can go out and just play their game without the pressure. Like you said, they are playing with house money at this point. Hoping to see Gilyard contribute some more, as well as Golden to have another solid performance. Richmond now at 82 in the Kenpom.

Grant Golden update:

Thanks for the update! That sounds somewhat promising. Worst case he misses a few non-con games that Richmond should win anyway. However, the Spiders don't have a lot of post depth, so that part concerns me.

Thanks for the update! That sounds somewhat promising. Worst case he misses a few non-con games that Richmond should win anyway. However, the Spiders don't have a lot of post depth, so that part concerns me.
Would definitely give Cayo a good shot to prove himself even further as a big. Tyler Burton would have to step up tremendously and grab some boards for the Spiders as well.

We really don't need Grant Golden and Nathan Cayo injured at the same time... awful luck.

The Spiders look better and better defensively each time I watch them. Compared to the St. Francis PA and Vanderbilt games, this team is light years ahead of where it was on that end of the floor. If the Spiders continue to defend, they can easily be a top 4 team in the Atlantic 10.

So there's a guy on Twitter whose name is Grant Golden SUCKS. Does Richmond have VCU worried?

So there's a guy on Twitter whose name is Grant Golden SUCKS. Does Richmond have VCU worried?

It's funny to me... the VCU-Richmond hatred is real, and it definitely comes out in non-conference play (even though its in the best interest for each team that its rival be better before conference play comes around). Definitely a lot of that comes out on both sides, haha. With how well Richmond has been playing though, those matchups are going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Verbinskis is transferring. He's struggled with injuries throughout his career and never been able to get on the floor. Has seen a handful of minutes of mop-up time so far this year and is 3-for-3 from three, but I'm sure he's seen the writing on the wall with where he is in the pecking order and no seniors on the roster.

Verbinskis is transferring. He's struggled with injuries throughout his career and never been able to get on the floor. Has seen a handful of minutes of mop-up time so far this year and is 3-for-3 from three, but I'm sure he's seen the writing on the wall with where he is in the pecking order and no seniors on the roster.

Pretty understandable... but is there any advantage to announcing his intention now? A chance to play immediately next season, maybe? I guess it's not often college basketball players leave during the middle of the season.

At least 50 guys have already announced they're transferring during the season. If they transfer now, they can be eligible for second semester of 2020-21 at a minimum.

But yes, surprised he didn't transfer this past spring/summer. It was clear he was going to have trouble cracking the lineup this year.

Any news on Grant Golden or Nathan Cayo tonight? South Alabama could be a really tough matchup at home, especially without those 2 guys.

Looks like Golden and Cayo are both 50/50 heading into this afternoon's contest

Back