Pick your poison

Bonafanatic

After getting a couple much needed confidence boosters and with the hardest part of the schedule behind us, we’re back in the conversation of a 4 seed. But, would you rather:

1. Be the four seed and take on Dayton Saturday?
2. Be the 6/7 and potentially avoid Dayton until Sunday?

Last edited:
I’ve thought about that too. I’d say Saturday. You don’t want to play them regardless. Better you do so then, as opposed on your 4th game in 4 days.

Things never go as planned in the A10 tournament. The goal is always a top 4 finish. Winning 4 games in 4 days isn’t feasible. I know SLU pulled it off last year, but Bona wins the title if Osun isn’t saddled with foul trouble.

last year, we wanted to avoid VCU. Rhode Island did the dirty work for us. The A10 tournament is wild. Most of the madness occurs on Friday. Maybe Davidson knocks off Dayton.

With a healthy Osun, I don’t fear anybody. This whole team’s demeanor changes with him on the floor. They knew they didn’t have a prayer without him @VCU and @UD, and they played like it.

I foresee a surging Bonnies team coming into Brooklyn with the whole campus behind them. It’s the best time of year. Can’t put a damper on it by being scared of a Saturday matchup with Dayton. Embrace it.

Also, why set the bar at a 4 seed? I’ve got my eyes on the 3 seed. I’d love another crack at URI with Osun.

At the risk of sounding like I'm picking a fight, I'm not, but you say 4 in 4 isn't feasible and then in the same breath say that SLU did it last season.

It's feasible. I'm on the fence on this except I think you try to win every game, and double bye should be the goal. And the 3, although hopes are dim, would be better to avoid UD of course. If you dont get it, it wouldnt break my heart to see them slip via tiebreaker or whatever to the 6 to avoid the UD side as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: res
You always want the bye. Too much can go wrong playing an extra game.

Although I've seen where UMass might want to play in the wednesday night pillow fight because Weeks could qualify for a medical redshirt if they play 2 games in Brooklyn. Not sure how accurate that is but i read it on the internet so it must be true.

For the record, I agree. You want the bye. That third spot is going to be damn near impossible because of the team's performances against other 6-3 teams. Must beat Duquesne, SLU, Davidson and Richmond!

For the record, I agree. You want the bye. That third spot is going to be damn near impossible because of the team's performances against other 6-3 teams. Must beat Duquesne, SLU, Davidson and Richmond!

Having gone through the remaining schedules of all the teams I think the 3rd spot is possible if SLU falls apart. And with their FT shooting they could lose some games that shouldn't even be close.

I’ve thought about that too. I’d say Saturday. You don’t want to play them regardless. Better you do so then, as opposed on your 4th game in 4 days.

Yes but you want the opportunity to get quality wins before you face them, boost your tourney resume... is that viable for SBU right now?

Yes but you want the opportunity to get quality wins before you face them, boost your tourney resume... is that viable for SBU right now?

Not sure I know what you're asking me with that question about viability.

As Bonas03 said, though, resume is unimportant to us. We started 1-4 with 3 losses agaisnt sub 200 teams. Resume has been a meaningless word since before Thanksgiving. Even so, beating Datyon would in and of itself be a resume booster for anyone, at this point.

Get to the dance in any way, and I'm excited.

Given the choice to me it's always be the 4th seed or better.
For the current year I always prefer the double bye vs hoping for a favorable matchup.
For future years consistently being in the top quarter of the league helps with recruiting, getting into better in season tournaments, and better matchups in the A10 mountain west challenge.
All should lead towards continued future success.

You want the double bye. Bonas has some good luck in years' past as the 4 seed. In 2012, UMass knocked off #1 Temple and in 2019, Rhode Island knocked off #1 VCU, rendering the "avoiding the best team" (Dayton) debate moot. They advanced to the conference championship games both times.

Off topic, but I just watched the Rhody v. UMass game I had recorded that was played on 2/5. At the very end of my recording there was a scuffle developing between the two teams. I'm wondering if anything worth talking about happened. At the time my recording ended the police were intervening with several players from both sides as well as a few coaches. I am reminded of Dowtin's fit at the end of Rhody's game with VCU in last year's A10 tourney. Like that, this latest interchange was in the post-game.

From what I saw on Twitter, some jackass from the Umass coaching staff (wearing a ridiculous maroon suit) was talking shit to Jacob Toppin of URI. The Umass coach looked and acted like an absolute jackass picking a fight with a college athlete in the handshake line.

Yes, if you want the lowdown, the Rhody Ruckus page has some insight into [summarizing] what a massive prick this Bergeron character is, and how he tried to fuck over Toppin when he was his prep coach because he wouldn't follow him to UMass. He also apparently has said he wants FJK's job. [end summary]

If UMass is going to put sleazeballs on the bench they deserve whatever lack of success they get. The guy sounds like a former prep/AAU handler slimebag with a tough guy persona.

From what I saw on Twitter, some jackass from the Umass coaching staff (wearing a ridiculous maroon suit) was talking shit to Jacob Toppin of URI. The Umass coach looked and acted like an absolute jackass picking a fight with a college athlete in the handshake line.
Got a link or anything? Would love to know who it was...

It was Tony Bergeron, who is the greasy bastard Fake Jared Kushner hired from Woodstock Academy to land about half of the UMass roster (including Tre Mitchell).

Having said that, Jacob Toppin was acting like a grubtard, so it’s difficult to say who has the bulk of blame.

Back