NIT 2022

On to MSG for the semifinal game against Xavier, one with interesting historical antecedents. Of course, all of us here would like to see a repeat of the 2012 A10 championship. For their part, the X fans are hoping for something on the order of the 1958 semifinal. I think 1958 was the only time they won the NIT. Notice all the familiar past and present A10 teams that were in the bracket:

Scouting Report:
Xavier is a difficult team to trust the numbers on since their PG is out and have an interim coach. One thing I'm sure about is they will play faster than Virginia, but I dont expect them to try to run us off the floor. Without Scruggs they only play 7 guys if you count Hunter getting 8min/game in the NIT.

Key Players
Nunge is a stretch the floor 7 footer making 36.6% from 3 while being excellent around the basket as well and great at getting defenders in foul trouble
Freemantle is their backup PF and C who is more of a traditional big man but will shoot from 3 if left open. He plays about half their minutes and will play in a double big lineup
Colby Jones is a 3/4 slasher/garbage man that contributes on the glass and by getting to the free throw line
Nate Johnson is a 2/3 shooter that can be white hot or stone cold depending on the night. He has multiple 7-11 from 3 shooting games this year
Adam Kunkel - is a guard/wing that is having a good shooting season if you over commit to Johnson, Kunkel can make you pay
Dwon Odom - PG and a bit of an unknown. Similar to Posley his first year, he was playing some at the 2 and then would take over PG duties when Scruggs went out but is now full time PG. He is not a threat from the outside but has a nice mid range and around the basket game. Not the guy we want to send to the line as he is their best FT shooter

I cant say I have watch much Xavier basketball this year to know what they like to run. Judging by the players numbers I expect to see pick and pop actions for Nunge or dribble hand offs with him and Johnson/Kunkel. I anticipate we see the matchup zone from the Bonnies at times and see Shoon/AKC guard Freemantle at times when they play the double big lineup. This would mean we switch on Nunge and could give up a mismatch if Lofton or Holmes end up on him but would allow us to defend the perimeter better.

On the other end of the floor, I dont expect us to get a lot of Shoon lobs or for there to be many second chance points. I think Adaway and Holmes will need to have big games as X seems to struggle with guards getting to the basket and athletic wings. In their losses Xavier tends to give up a lot of 3s so that could be something to watch for early.

Now that the NIT is behind us, time to wait and see how the roster takes shape for next year. I know we have all heard various things about 1,2 or all 5 coming back but the fact is nobody knows shit until its official. It will be interesting for sure.

The Garden was a lot of fun. That was the best crowd I have been a part of. The 2012 Nashville was close but we owned MSG. I can only imagine how much more nuts it would have been last night had we been there.

Back