NIT 2022

Citizen X

The 5-seed in the NIT shows how far away from the Big Dance our Bonnies were. It may be insulting and playing at a mile above sea level with little adaptation time is a challenge. However, the opportunity to beat a PAC12 team on the road and then a Big12 team on the road should give our guys a lot of incentive to salve their self-respect. There's also one last chance for impressing pro scouts and getting a shot at a swan song at the Garden. In summary, we can turn this lemon into lemonade.

Last edited:
I wouldnt read a ton into NIT seeding, nobody knows how they do it. They try to keep matchups regional except for in our case apparently. I was mainly looking forward to the NIT to see one more or possibly 2 in the RC this year but now that is shot.

The top four seeds in each region get to play at home. That means that Dayton--first team out of the NCAA--as well as VCU and SLU were higher on the seed list. It's something like virtue among whores, however. This is a contest to see which bubble team is the least bubblelicious.

It's not that exact of a science beyond the first 4 or 8 teams. Once past that, venue, tv times, etc factor in. We were nowhere near the bubble after dropping 2 of our last 3, to be sure, but like 03 said i wouldn't read this as Vandy, Utah State, WaSt, or Colorado being that precise many spots closer than us. They all have nicer arenas, will likely sell more tickets, and 3 of the 4 are in time zones that help them stretch tv scheduling.

We have a case for a home game, but at the end of the day, we're laying in the bed we made.

The win over the Buffaloes was a nice piece of basketball. The Bonnies are on a mission of redemption. Beating another P5 team on their home court would be a giant step, although it seems there is a scheduling glitch at Oklahoma.
The NIT format has certain advantages. These first three games being played on the higher seed's home court yields something more akin to a traditional college game environment.

That was a very satisfying game to watch. They played well against tough conditions (travel,altitude, terrible officiating) and came away with a road win. Holmes found whatever he had been missing all season and everyone stepped up and hit shots. Colorado is young but dangerous, as Arizona found out. Really if it wasnt for a bench guy getting hot, that could have been a blowout. They will have to bring the same defensive effort vs OU. No matter what, I am glad to get the A10 taste out of my mouth. Even if they lose to OU, they can hold their heads high.

Oklahoma being next, I dont think anyone needs to be reminded who the AD is there. Its possible we end up hosting the game, which I would love but lets wait and see.

Admittedly a lot more satisfying of a win than I expected. I'd be lying if I said there also wasn't a tinge of 'what could have been' seeing how we came out and played, but whatever. Best game from Holmes in months. Happy to get to see this group another day, in a way that let's us savor it.

terrible officiating)

I never complain about the officials, but damn were there some awful calls or lack thereof down the stretch. Both of Shoon's 3rd/4th fouls we completely ridiculous. With about 2 mins left the dude on Colorado blatantly shoved Shoon down low and grabbed an offensive board. Should have been an offensive foul, thankfully he missed the putback. The failure to call a hook and hold. The fact Colorado had to foul 4 times to send us to the line.

I never complain about the officials, but damn were there some awful calls or lack thereof down the stretch. Both of Shoon's 3rd/4th fouls we completely ridiculous. With about 2 mins left the dude on Colorado blatantly shoved Shoon down low and grabbed an offensive board. Should have been an offensive foul, thankfully he missed the putback. The failure to call a hook and hold. The fact Colorado had to foul 4 times to send us to the line.
It was blatantly awful. That was a textbook hook and hold. Saw Holmes get called for it vs St Joes, same thing. How they could review that and rule a common foul is horrible. Bonas had 8 fouls to 3 for CU in the late stages. 5 of ours were bullshit. I was so glad they won despite all that. There was a sequence where Holmes drove, got hit ant the rim and no call then on the other end he got called for a touch foul. You mentioned Shoon's fouls already. Huge head scratcher there. They also let Adaway get mugged during the fouling at the end with no call. Everyone knew CU was trying to foul but nope, go ahead and crush the guy. BUT, they persevered.

Shoon got shoved for multiple rebounds. There were going to be no calls in his favor last night, although thankfully they did let him block some shots. Sad to say but I expected nothing less from an NIT crew on a Pac12 home court you just have to roll in and overcome it. And to think how many times their crowd thought there were "bad calls". I thought we had the superior team and didn't just "execute better" per Colorado coach.

It is the first day of spring and the Bonnies are still playing. Today's game at OK is a wonderful opportunity to get some national attention via ESPNU and provide some evidence of A10's bona fides. If your reference is Kenpom or the NET rankings, the Sooners have a distinct advantage (Bonnies' 83 Kenpom vs. Sooners' 26) and the oddsmakers are reflecting that with a 6.5-point line for the favorite. Looking closer we're confronted with the problem of comparing P5 with lesser conferences. The Sooners have an RPI of 66 with SOS of 15 and a non-conference SOS of 194. Their Elo rank is 47 and their quadrant records are 4-12 in Q1, 7-2 in Q2, and 2-1 in Q3.
The Bonnies, however, rank 47 in RPI with a SOS of 78 and a non-conference SOS of 54. Our Elo rank is 38 and quadrant records are 4-4 in Q1, 3-4 in Q2, and 5-1 in Q3.
What this all means to me is that whoever is having a better day will win, and I hope it's the guys in brown and white.

Sweet! The Bonnies take down their second P5 victim in enemy territory and now host recent national champ Cavaliers in the RC. Last team in the A10 that's keeping the flame alive.
Oh, think again. There’s a reason the NIT only announces seeds 1-4. They’re fucking us so another school named after an entire state can have a home game.

Oh, think again. There’s a reason the NIT only announces seeds 1-4. They’re fucking us so another school named after an entire state can have a home game.
Ha. I made up my mind a long time ago and have said for years I won't root for any team named after a state (and a few cities too).

It actually frees up a lot of time for me at this time of the year.

The NCAA leans on the net as the reason why there are no “seeds” to determine home court beyond the top 4. Whatever. Add another notch at UVA this week.

The guys are dialed in and focused, giving us and themselves a nice swan song. Bittersweet maybe, but I’m all in. Happy to see our guys still playing.

The NCAA leans on the net as the reason why there are no “seeds” to determine home court beyond the top 4. Whatever. Add another notch at UVA this week.

The guys are dialed in and focused, giving us and themselves a nice swan song. Bittersweet maybe, but I’m all in. Happy to see our guys still playing.
Then why have seeds at all? It is just a way for them to move targets as the tournament develops organically. The suits tip the scales as they see it benefitting their bottom line.

If anything, going into Castiglione's house and beating him made up for a lot of things. Fuck that piece of shit. Fuck the NCAA and their bullshit too. This group deserves a home game. They were seeded higher than UVA. I know they only protect the top 4 (also bullshit) but they already got a home game they didnt deserve in the 1st round. Oh well, just have to kick their ass on their own floor.

Where has Jaren Holmes been all year? With this Holmes we win at least 2 extra games

Back