NIT 2022

Jive36

I'm going to focus on the game. In a lot of ways we are the mirror image of Virginia and this could be a real rock fight. Virginia doesn't have a shooter that leaps off the page and actually shoots fewer 3s than the Bonnies. They arent as amazing on defense as they have been in recent memory but they play at such a slow pace that every possession is important. The one thing that worries me is they score off ball movement and have a 60% assist to field goal made. Most of the points we allow come off assisted field goals.

If we had shot anywhere near as well from deep as we have the last two games we would have made the dance. The only times we shot above 41% from 3 all season - Oklahoma, Colorado, UMass, Fordham and Clemson. All 5 of those games we were at 50% or better. So the only question is are we finally seeing positive regression or are we due for a big kick in the nads

brownindians85

They can say it's "unseeded" after the top 4 per region, but everyone knows it's exactly for this scenario - hold UVA @ SBU in front of 5400, or SBU @ UVA in front of probably 8K+. Of course it's $ and about # of eyeballs on the games, esp. once they get to MSG. At this point, we are the smallest draw of every remaining school. We were also 2 spots being UVA in the NET at end of season (apparently it's not updated during postseason?)

Whatever - just Winn. Two great road W's already, and the team looks good. UVA loves to slow the game down. A couple quick bursts can become a sizeable lead in a UVA slugfest.

res

Ha. I made up my mind a long time ago and have said for years I won't root for any team named after a state (and a few cities too).

It actually frees up a lot of time for me at this time of the year.
Hey! I'm a big U of Maine hockey, though they have fallen on hard times.

Bona03

This game at UVA will probably be first to 60 wins. Like Jive said, we are very similar teams in defensive philosophy (pack line) and are not great shooting teams. Although Bonas has been hot lately. I think Shoon is the difference, it doesnt appear they have a big that can keep him off the boards or get us inside. Much like Oklahoma, it might take a hot shooter to win it. They almost did it with Gibson but almost doesnt count. They have 2 guys that take most of their 3's: Clark and Franklin. Those two shoot 35 and 28% respectively. Beekman shoots at 34% but only has taken 64 on the season.

This is a game where if they play well, it will be time to party in the Garden.

Jive36

Driving in to work this morning I was thinking about how the NIT has been a farewell tour for this group and it is nice to see different guy(s) get their flowers each game. This was evident in the Oklahoma game where we got a vintage Holmes performance. Shoon also had a vintage performance cleaning up any misses around the rim especially in the first half.

And then I was going to look at the Colorado game and say that was a Welch game shooting 50% from 3 and filling up the stat sheet 8 boards, 2 steals, a block and an assist. Then I looked at Lofton's line and see 15 points 8 assists, thats exactly what we have come to expect from him. So was it the Lofton and Welch farewell game? Not really because Shoon had a double double and 4 blocks, and Holmes scored 13 and had 6 assists and Adaway was the leading scorer. At this point I realized the Colorado game is exactly what this team could have been all year if playing at peak performance.

So I guess I wrote this to say, I hope we get a repeat of the Colorado game, albeit the 62-55 variety, but a game where everyone contributes and has moments where you go that's play right there encapsulates what that guy has been for 4 years. If we get enough of those plays we will win and continue the run.

Bill Russell

According to UMass delinquents, it's the Mark Schmidt farewell tour.
That’s some kind of echo chamber, isn’t it? Not one actual, journalistic source has named Schmidt (or most of the names mentioned) as a tangible candidate, yet their fans repeat and repeat and repeat until they think it’s a reality.

Someone I know in the program literally laughed out loud at the notion of Schmidt leaving for UMass.

Bona03

Driving in to work this morning I was thinking about how the NIT has been a farewell tour for this group and it is nice to see different guy(s) get their flowers each game. This was evident in the Oklahoma game where we got a vintage Holmes performance. Shoon also had a vintage performance cleaning up any misses around the rim especially in the first half.

And then I was going to look at the Colorado game and say that was a Welch game shooting 50% from 3 and filling up the stat sheet 8 boards, 2 steals, a block and an assist. Then I looked at Lofton's line and see 15 points 8 assists, thats exactly what we have come to expect from him. So was it the Lofton and Welch farewell game? Not really because Shoon had a double double and 4 blocks, and Holmes scored 13 and had 6 assists and Adaway was the leading scorer. At this point I realized the Colorado game is exactly what this team could have been all year if playing at peak performance.

So I guess I wrote this to say, I hope we get a repeat of the Colorado game, albeit the 62-55 variety, but a game where everyone contributes and has moments where you go that's play right there encapsulates what that guy has been for 4 years. If we get enough of those plays we will win and continue the run.
The runs have been a problem for our team. I saw a tweet last week that showed a graph of teams that give up large runs plotted against teams that go on runs and we were bad in both. That was evident in the GM, Dayton and Richmond losses. Lately they have been more even. Colorado took that 10 point lead and I bet a lot of us thought that was it.

Citizen X

Beautiful, just fucking beautiful! I'll admit that I didn't think the guys would be able to pull it off when they dropped behind by 5 points with about 2 minutes remaining. Five points in that game against the Cavalier defense seemed like a hill too high to climb. That final shot block by Osun was the perfect ending. Three P5 road wins and now the trip to MSG. I like this a lot better than a trip to the Big Dance for an early exit.

res

Beautiful, just fucking beautiful! I'll admit that I didn't think the guys would be able to pull it off when they dropped behind by 5 points with about 2 minutes remaining. Five points in that game against the Cavalier defense seemed like a hill too high to climb. That final shot block by Osun was the perfect ending. Three P5 road wins and now the trip to MSG. I like this a lot better than a trip to the Big Dance for an early exit.
This

Bona03

Seeing this run and what they had to do, this season will be able to die in peace. I'll always wonder how they could have done had they made the NCAA but this has been a very satisfying run. Lofton being able to exercise the demons of the A10 game, you couldnt have scripted that any better. On the the Garden where our old foes X wait for us. I like our chances in that one.

Community Bank 3Pt Tee

Underrated part of the game for me- just under 8 left, Shoon blocks a put back and it results in an acrobatic Adaway fast break layup. What could have been 7 becomes 3 in a matter of seconds. 30 seconds later after a stop, Dom buries a 3 to tie it. Without that block, the lead becomes 7 at the U8- the way the second half was going up to that point, I dont know if we recover from that.

Last edited:

brownindians85

.. I'll always wonder how they could have done had they made the NCAA ..
I think something similar, so this still stings a little. Definitely a consolation run of sorts. I just wish the guys would just celebrate together and cut the shit with the fans.

OK, you can get back on my lawn.

Reactions: res

res

You never want to miss a chance to play in the real tournament. Hypothetically, though, if it's this run in the consolation tournament vs. a one and done in the other, I'm happy to be where we are.

Bill Russell

If they’re getting shit the whole game, it’s easy to understand the sentiment of the “waving goodbye” stuff. Honestly? Seeing our guys with some swagger on the road makes me want to party, so they can keep it up. It wasn’t all that long ago that any road game gave me agita.

brownindians85

Don't get me completely wrong. I like the swagger, and you know they were getting it from student fans all night. Just an optics thing with no context.

Community Bank 3Pt Tee

The goodbyes and crowd interactions are playful and harmless. We're not talking the level of Kent State at Akron, for anyone who saw that MACtion before our Friday night at SLU this year. It hasn't been that long since I was a drunk student who deserved more than just a wave goodbye, with some of the shit I yelled at opposing players.

The fact its occuring against P5, SLU, good opponents I'm cool with. You know all of these student fan bases came into these games thinking "who? We'll smoke them". Satisfying. If they were waving goodbye to Fordham fans, I'd feel differently.