New SBU President Announced

He seems pretty junior. I guess if I am looking at it through rose-colored lenses, Scranton and Bona are somewhat similar.

Both schools have similar challenges and identities. Scranton is in a pretty secluded part of PA, but still not as rural as SBU. Nonetheless, they both face similar challenges for attracting students to areas that are not seen as destinations.

It seems Scranton has the programs the SBU wants to develop so perhaps that's what attracted the BoT to his experience. Scranton is a pretty well respected Catholic (Jesuit) school that has a good reputation. If Bona was to turn into Scranton (in regards to academics) we would likely be in a better place than we are now.

My major concerns with him would be he seems a lot like Sister Margaret. I don't mean that in a bad way, but higher ed is a buisness and not a charity despite what people in higher ed try to tell us.

He seems like a wonderful character person, but it seems a little alarming his actual work experience is talked about as much as his volunteer experience. It just sounds like he's more campus ministry than nuts and bolts cut throat fundraising and enrollment driven. Hope I'm off on my assessment.

He seems pretty junior. I guess if I am looking at it through rose-colored lenses, Scranton and Bona are somewhat similar.

Both schools have similar challenges and identities. Scranton is in a pretty secluded part of PA, but still not as rural as SBU. Nonetheless, they both face similar challenges for attracting students to areas that are not seen as destinations.

It seems Scranton has the programs the SBU wants to develop so perhaps that's what attracted the BoT to his experience. Scranton is a pretty well respected Catholic (Jesuit) school that has a good reputation. If Bona was to turn into Scranton (in regards to academics) we would likely be in a better place than we are now.

My major concerns with him would be he seems a lot like Sister Margaret. I don't mean that in a bad way, but higher ed is a buisness and not a charity despite what people in higher ed try to tell us.

He seems like a wonderful character person, but it seems a little alarming his actual work experience is talked about as much as his volunteer experience. It just sounds like he's more campus ministry than nuts and bolts cut throat fundraising and enrollment driven. Hope I'm off on my assessment.

I agree. Many more Sister Margaret skill sets than Dr. DePerro. What SBU needs is continued heavy, heavy duty programs development, fundraising, and a serious emphasis on increased enrollment. I don't think this guy has it. I could be entirely wrong. I hope so. I'm also concerned how long the selection process dragged on. Seems as if it was down to this gentleman and the Selection Committee/BOT kind of threw in the towel. Recalling that Dr. D. had to give quite a lengthy notice to LeMoyne. Sure doesn't seem to be the same case here with University of Scranton.

I predict a 3-5 year tenure and a move on to greener pastures. SBU will have become holier but not much else. Again, sure hope I'm wrong.

Pissah!

Aloha!

I agree. Many more Sister Margaret skill sets than Dr. DePerro. What SBU needs is continued heavy, heavy duty programs development, fundraising, and a serious emphasis on increased enrollment. I don't think this guy has it. I could be entirely wrong. I hope so. I'm also concerned how long the selection process dragged on. Seems as if it was down to this gentleman and the Selection Committee/BOT kind of threw in the towel. Recalling that Dr. D. had to give quite a lengthy notice to LeMoyne. Sure doesn't seem to be the same case here with University of Scranton.

I predict a 3-5 year tenure and a move on to greener pastures. SBU will have become holier but not much else. Again, sure hope I'm wrong.

Pissah!

Aloha!
Agreed, not sure what I was realistically expecting but it wasn’t really this. Are we at least saving money by having him double up as a criminology prof?

jesuits along with franciscans are the only respectable catholics so thats a plus at least
Yeah, but don’t the Jesuits conspire to hide the planet’s ancient mysteries? That’s what Dan Brown (not the national anthem singer) said, brah. Also, they’re way up their own asses. Franciscans have the only contemporary Catholic philosophy I will entertain—and that is by no means “by the book”.

Juicy! Nothing says pent up emotion of an underwhelming Bona basketball season on the brink of an A10 tournament like a holy war over the tenets of Catholicism.

Not that I miss the pillow fight days but we need to hit the court. Stat!

Yeah, but don’t the Jesuits conspire to hide the planet’s ancient mysteries? That’s what Dan Brown (not the national anthem singer) said, brah. Also, they’re way up their own asses. Franciscans have the only contemporary Catholic philosophy I will entertain—and that is by no means “by the book”.
Wait a second, Bill. You mean you don't embrace the MAGIS??

When I was an adolescent my hot, tight, creamy, rich, hearty, robust asshole was stroked by an elderly Jesuit priest who shouted "All for Jesus" repeatedly.

Pissah!

Aloha!

Back