Massachusetts Minutemen: 2019-20

Tonight has represented a pretty sloppy game for the team with lots of turnovers and fouls, and only shooting 45% from the FT line. Still up double digits with less than 2 to play. This is a very different story from what we're used to over the past couple of seasons. This game would have been a very bad loss in previous seasons.

I'm still not expecting much from the year...but the team is fun to watch and already looks poised to make major strides over the next two seasons after this. The freshmen are doing wonders.

Tonight has represented a pretty sloppy game for the team with lots of turnovers and fouls, and only shooting 45% from the FT line. Still up double digits with less than 2 to play. This is a very different story from what we're used to over the past couple of seasons. This game would have been a very bad loss in previous seasons.

I'm still not expecting much from the year...but the team is fun to watch and already looks poised to make major strides over the next two seasons after this. The freshmen are doing wonders.

Freshmen already going above and beyond what were lofty expectations. I think you're right that expectations should still be cautiously optimistic. This is a young team without a ton of depth, and it's only going to get better with time. I think the biggest "glass-half-full" take is that this team is going to contend for the A-10 title and make the NCAA Tournament when this class of freshmen matures (maybe junior year) when Diallo and Chatman are seniors.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.48.16 AM.png

Here's a quick look at the Minutemen statistically since the start of the season. Shooting the ball well, but you can see how rebounding has been an issue, and that weaknesses really showed against a bigger and more athletic St. John's team. Free throw shooting obviously needs to improve as well. A lot of positives thus far though, and we knew this was going to be a young UMass team with some growing pains. I'm very interested to see what it can do in the next 4 contests. Rutgers, South Carolina, Harvard, and Yale all feel like opponents the Minutemen can compete with, especially if they play like they did in the first half against SJU.

Kenpom thinks an 11 point loss for Massachusetts today on the road. Of the next 4 games, the Minutemen will be underdogs in all 4. I think this team could really use an upset in the next couple of weeks, but I don't think it's going to come today. True road games are difficult, and UMass is probably going to get out-muscled, especially on the glass. A home win over South Carolina would be awesome.

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 10.09.47 AM.png

Any way to watch this one for free? I think BTN+ is a subscription, right?

3J Weeks has already hit 3 in the first ~12 minutes for the Minutemen. Kid can absolutely stroke it from 3.

I'm just imagining how good this team is gonna be when Weeks, Mitchell, and East are seniors.

Massachusetts' youth is rearing its ugly head this afternoon against Rutgers -- 16 turnovers as the Minutemen trail by 16. Allowing Rutgers to shoot nearly 50% from the floor as well.

I was at that game. It was not fun to watch...we need to stop with the full court press.

Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 9.32.22 AM.png

Kenpom predicts a 69-64 win for Yale. For the sake of this program mentally, I really hope Massachusetts pulls one out. Losing streaks are gut-wrenching, especially when they approach 6, 7, or 8 games. Yale has the 3rd best 3 point defense in the country... that's a major concern.

Been waiting for Carl Pierre to have a special game this season... tonight he has been fantastic.

Based on the earlier reports, we should be hearing about Dibaji's waiver today. Hopefully there will be a good update for then.

Based on the earlier reports, we should be hearing about Dibaji's waiver today. Hopefully there will be a good update for then.

Would it be a 2nd semester availability, or would he be able to play right away?

Back