Lunardi: Tournament Eligibility Criteria

How on Earth has this thread had 19 responses and still stayed on topic? Why hasn't it completely fallen off the rails in an argument about Dan Viglianco? We are surely in new waters now!

Shart! Refreshing!

Would I like to see more non p5 +1 teams in the tournament? Of course I would. That's the perspective I have and is almost entirely a result of for whom I root. Depending on results, I sometimes stop watching the tournament after the 1st weekend. I'm older than you guys and have seen Duke play Kansas enough to be unable to give a shit who the hell wins. That, and the fact that unless I have a direct rooting interest, I almost always root for the underdog in any sports contest.

We agree on this, obviously. Age aside, we all have seen the likes of Duke vs Kansas too many times to give a shit.

Wow, you guys are so emotionally invested in this that reading comprehension seems to have fallen to bandwagon levels. I never advocated here for any particular set of tournament selection criteria and never said I was an agnostic with respect to what those criteria should be. I said that I was agnostic as to whether or not Purdue deserved to be selected. "Deserved" is a value judgment. I simply stated that I thought them to be a top 48 basketball team implying, if anything, that they shouldn't be easily dismissed from consideration -- and also that perspective colors everything.

Would I like to see more non p5 +1 teams in the tournament? Of course I would. That's the perspective I have and is almost entirely a result of for whom I root. Depending on results, I sometimes stop watching the tournament after the 1st weekend. I'm older than you guys and have seen Duke play Kansas enough to be unable to give a shit who the hell wins. That, and the fact that unless I have a direct rooting interest, I almost always root for the underdog in any sports contest.

On the other hand, if I were a Purdue fan and sitting at #25 in kenpom, I would probably have a different perspective and I suspect the rest of you would, too.
We are emotionally invested, yes.

*I am, at least.

Interesting take from Bilas, knowing what a power conference shill he is.

If the committee can pick the best 36 teams after the automatic qualifiers are factored in, the committee can select the best 68 teams before the automatic qualifiers are factored in. Then, Champ Week is about ONLY that ... championships. At-large selections are based upon the regular season only, and conference tourneys are about the automatic bid only. Pretty easy stuff. More emphasis on the regular season, and a more level field for the "little guy." Each automatic bid that is won would knock out an at-large selection. It would be quite fun, and then the NCAA would have TWO fantastic days ... when the at-large list comes out, and when the bracket comes out. You're welcome.

On the BBF A10 forum, I advocated this exact thing over a year ago, having a "knockout week" just like Daytona qualifying. Of course you don't even need to go out to #68, because 20+ conferences are auto-bid only. But it would be more fair and exciting.

Interesting take from Bilas, knowing what a power conference shill he is.

On the BBF A10 forum, I advocated this exact thing over a year ago, having a "knockout week" just like Daytona qualifying. Of course you don't even need to go out to #68, because 20+ conferences are auto-bid only. But it would be more fair and exciting.
Bilas has been advocating for this for a a couple years now and I love it.

Back