Jalen Adaway

Bonafanatic

Not sure what his role will be next year but man is he excelling in his role this year as bench cheerleader. He gets so into the game and is on his feet throughout. I’ve noticed it in person. Seems like a great teammate. Check him out in this highlight reel from today’s game:

I love how he was already starting a celebration dance before Kyle's first 3 of the second half went in. I know nothing about him but I already like him.

I think I saw a quote in which he says that some of the coaches believe he could be an all conference player. Anyways, I'm excited that he's showing passion for his teammates.

I think I saw a quote in which he says that some of the coaches believe he could be an all conference player.

Seems like a huge reach, but if you can actually dig up such a quote, I'd love to see it. A good teammate and I'm sure he's got the ability to become a nice player for us, especially with his rebound numbers for his position, but if an 8 ppg transfer out of the MAC shows up and becomes one of the leagues best 15 players I'll be pleasantly shocked.

“It’s just a great basketball school,” Adaway told the Pharos Tribune in Indiana. “They live and die for basketball. They don’t have football there, so everybody comes out to support the games. They sell out each home game. ...

“They’re just excited that not only am I an unselfish player, but I’m an athlete and they’re excited to really work and get my skill to that elite level. They’ve been telling me I can be all-conference. I’m looking forward to getting to work with them."

A comparison I've heard is Adaway is a bit like Idris, who wasn't an all-conference player but still obviously a vital piece and 3-year captain on some damn good teams. From what I've seen in a few practices, he's got a very smooth game and a year off to improve/learn the system should benefit him. That position is very deep right now, though.

Seems like a huge reach, but if you can actually dig up such a quote, I'd love to see it. A good teammate and I'm sure he's got the ability to become a nice player for us, especially with his rebound numbers for his position, but if an 8 ppg transfer out of the MAC shows up and becomes one of the leagues best 15 players I'll be pleasantly shocked.
Marcus Posley was a 6.5ppg transfer out of the MAC. (I get your point though)

Looking back, his numbers at Ball St really were not great

Posley is someone that came as a shock to me, to be honest. I think the story with Posley was that he didn't get a fair shake at Ball State. His Juco numbers were a little more efficient (13.5ppg on 20mpg). Mobley, on the other hand, was such an obvious scorer coming out of CCSU, so when reports of him playing well at practice emerged there was a little more to get excited about.

If we got something in the ballpark of Cumberbatch production out of Adaway I think it would still help this team get over the hump the next couple of years. His tape shows a ton of athleticism.

Interesting that you bring up Cumberbatch - I feel like he was a player I never trusted. Inconsistent play and the penchant to disappear for long stretches had me down on him by the time he left. Would be interesting to revisit his numbers and see if that perception is true, or whether I am indeed as dumb as I feel reading this board. It is humbling to be surrounded by so many knowledgeable and illustrious expats from the BW. Did you guys all take Clare 101 or skip it because you were in the honors program?

Last edited:
Haha, nice post there. Clare college references are always appreciated (unlike Clare College).

Andell came to us with, again, solid to great individual skills. He would dominate practice at times and then go cold. His decision making improved and, aside from that Umass debacle, only hurt us when he tried to do too much. He was Dris before Dris, remember... he’d usually guard the best opposing player and annoy the shit out of him.

He had some limitations and his takes didn’t always drop (Stockard, Marcus, and Jaren have had those issues, too). That Wake game proved that he was a D1 player, though.

He’s another kid that I wish we had for 3-4 years. He fit into our system and was getting better during his senior year. Jaren’s situation is a lot better for us.

Jalen is Dris-like. We’ll take that as said above.

Back