Fordham Basketball: Views of the Program from Two Longtime Fans

cpyle

As fans of the A10, we get lost with the big basketball programs of the conference, like Dayton and VCU.  We often forget about the programs that are not as successful every year.  I am talking about the Fordham Rams, a program who entered the A10 in 1995 after many years of being in the Patriot League where their school identity put them out of place with the rest of the league.  As some of you might know, Fordham is in the Bronx in New York City.  It is actually a large school with a 90+ acre campus with a rich history of notable alumni such as Vince Lombardi and Denzel Washington.  Donald Trump also went there for a brief time before transferring elsewhere.  Its campus has been home to many sets of films such as The Exorcist and A Beautiful Mind.  The gym that the basketball teams call home is known as Rose Hill Gym, which is the oldest active gym still used in Division I basketball.  For me as a history lover, that is really cool.  Rose Hill Gym has this updated modern look on...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Interesting to hear the admin guy say there's big changes on the way. Improving the training facilities is a good and necessary first step, which looks to be part of the McGinley Center renovations they're doing. The next logical step would be some kind of Rose Hill expansion or just a straight up brand new arena. And I suppose some kind of re-brand might help. The Fordham logo for instance could use an update.

Don't get me wrong. Rose Hill is such a cool and unique venue, but it's just so small. And I don't know how they can expand it since it's connected to other parts of the school. It would be great if the program was healthy and fans were packing Rose Hill, then it would be fine. But with this chicken-and-egg situation, I think the administration needs to make the first move by using money to build a new arena.

[…] Last time I wrote about Fordham, it was back in the new year when this year’s team was still struggling mightily, only having one win in A10 play.  I talked to two longtime fans of the program who gave me insight on their perspective of the team as well as their insider information on where the program is headed.  If you want to read more about that, read my last article on Fordham here. […]

This was a year ago now so we’re already seeing what these “big changes” are. But most of these changes are cosmetic. The big change is a new state of the art gym floor. I just doesn’t seem as if this administration is interested in making big enough changes.

Back